Visa For Thai Girlfriend To Visit Uk

my thai girlfriend of 2 1/2 yrs is wishing to visit uk for 14-20 days depending on what amount of time she can get off from her work,, i just need some help on what visa she will require and some info,,cos the way i see it is she as to book air ticket then apply for visa which if rejected then she could lose air fare ,, i could be wrong ,, what we are hoping to do is that she comes for the time she can and then i will go back to thailand with her ,,,

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your girlfriend will need to apply for a visit visa, http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/countries/thailand/applying/?langname=UK Regarding the purchase of flight tickets, yes you are wrong, the UKBA specifically advises against the purchase of flights until the visa has been issued.

As metishead says there is plenty of advice on this forum from people who have gone through the process, start off with the pinned topic at the top of the page and browse through some of the other threads.

Your girlfriend needs to convince the ECO, the person considering her application, that her proposed visit is genuine, affordable and that she will return home at the end of her visit. If you are sponsoring her then you will need to indicate why.

You have got off to a good start by saying her visit depends on her work comitment, but have a read through the various threads and come back if you have any specific question.

The vast majority of visa applications are approved.

As long as she can show that she has sufficient funds for the visit; no.

These funds can come from her, you, a third party or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the finances should provide evidence of their ability to do so, 6 months bank statements are best, and if a third party say why they are doing so.

UK Visit Visa Basics is the topic theoldgit refers to above; you will find most of what you need to know there, but feel free to ask if you have any more questions.

Edited by 7by7

so how does the visa work , if she did get would there be time limit on it similar to getting visa in uk for thailand ,, would she have to give specific dates

When applying for the visa the applicant should give full details of the proposed visit, dates, accommodation and the like.

If the application is approved a visa sticker will be placed in the passport, it would normally be a six month month multi entrance visa visa valid from the date of approval. If you are applying early you can request that the visa is dated up to three months later.

The visa allows the holder to travel to the UK Border, an Immigration Officer will decide if the visa holder will be landed (admitted). They will only recommend that you are denied entry if they can prove that the visa was proved issued fraudulently or there has been a material change.

The visa is valid for six months from the day it was issued, and the holder can go and come as often as they like during the validity, though each time they will time they may need to convince the IO that the visit is genuine, and they must leave the UK before the visa expires.

In theory the visa holder can stay in the UK for six months, but it might cause a problem if the IO at the Port of Entry calls up the details of the application and it differs, and whilst plans do a change it would certainly affect future applications.

• 1 month later...

The visa is valid for six months from the date it is issued, which means the holder can travel to the UK any time after that but must leave the UK before the visa expires.

If she wishes to apply early, she can ask for her visa to be post dated up to three months later.

ok does she need to have a plane ticket before she applies,,, as she will have a letter from her employer that she as 18th june till 11th july and as to return to work 12 th july also if i state in letter of inviting her that i shall return to thailand with her on 6th of july

ok does she need to have a plane ticket before she applies,,, as she will have a letter from her employer that she as 18th june till 11th july and as to return to work 12 th july also if i state in letter of inviting her that i shall return to thailand with her on 6th of july

As Beano says do not purchase an airline ticket until she has her visa, but a letter from her employer is helpful in proving ties to Thailand and therefore a reason to return.

It is possible that someone from the embassy will phone her employer to check on the contents of the letter. If the letter is written in English they will expect to speak to it's signatory in English. If that person is unable to do so then they will doubt the validity of the letter.

If the letter is written in Thai then they will be happy to speak to it's signatory in Thai. But you should include a certified English translation of the letter in the application; as you should with all documents not in English.

Edited by 7by7

Im not UK citizen but in US Id recommend...

Packet of paperwork that shows she has a reason to return

Most important - job guarantee fron work upon return also stating length of employment if impressive, if not of few yrs at least maybe that is better left off.

Papers on condo, car, motorcycle

Bankbooks

Photos of both of you together ganged on two sheets of paper.

Itinerary of what she will do in UK. IMO far more likey to approve if this is holiday and cultural trip as opposed to sitting around some crappy pub in East London.

Interview - have her take YOUR passport

another question bank statements do i have to send original or copies ,,,i do not fancy sending original as many things have got lost and why do they need to see them ,, as i will be using savings which is another account

I just used the cover page that showed how much was in the accounts. They don't care about your business, just that you/she has enough to get by.

another question bank statements do i have to send original or copies ,,,i do not fancy sending original as many things have got lost and why do they need to see them ,, as i will be using savings which is another account

A definitive answer from the UKBA was provided by Visa Plus when the immigration rules were changed some months ago http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/585711-original-or-copy-documents-for-uk-visa-the-definitive-answer/ you will note that whilst previously the UKBA showed some flexibility when processing applications, the requirement to submit original documents is enshrined in the latest Immigration Act, so they have no flexibility and originals must be produced.

They need to have sight of them as it's a requirement under the Act, the reason is that they need to be satisfied that there are sufficient funds available to sponsor the applicant. If you are using a savings account to provide funds to sponsor the applicant, then you need to provide proof of this account.

Im not UK citizen but in US Id recommend...

Packet of paperwork that shows she has a reason to return

Most important - job guarantee fron work upon return also stating length of employment if impressive, if not of few yrs at least maybe that is better left off.

Papers on condo, car, motorcycle

Bankbooks

Photos of both of you together ganged on two sheets of paper.

Itinerary of what she will do in UK. IMO far more likey to approve if this is holiday and cultural trip as opposed to sitting around some crappy pub in East London.

Interview - have her take YOUR passport

Whilst this advice come from an American it's indicative of the information that would help convince the ECO of the applicants reason to return.

The only difference is that there would be no interview and no requirement to take the sponsors passport, though a copy of the sponsors passport should be submitted with the application.

I just used the cover page that showed how much was in the accounts. They don't care about your business, just that you/she has enough to get by.

That wouldn't work, you need to provide up to statements of the account being used to sponsor the applicant.

The ECO's don't care about your business but they do care that there are sufficient funds available for the trip.

As the sponsor is living in the UK I doubt very much if he will be relying on a Thai style bank book.

They need to have sight of them as it's a requirement under the Act,

They also need to see the originals as photocopies can be easily altered.

If you want the originals back, submit copies as well.

You only need to submit statements for the account(s) which contains the funds being used; but if there has been a recent large deposit into that account then you will need to show where the money has come from.

That wouldn't work, you need to provide up to statements of the account being used to sponsor the applicant.

The ECO's don't care about your business but they do care that there are sufficient funds available for the trip.

As the sponsor is living in the UK I doubt very much if he will be relying on a Thai style bank book.

Well it worked fo me because it does indeed show how much money is in the accounts. They don't need to see the transaction history.

@tw25rw I'm really glad it worked for you but it may not work on every occasion, The UKBA guidelines referring to bank statements say

"Showing what has been paid in and out of an account for up to the previous six months, and naming the account holder. If you have made deposits in your account that are not in keeping with the account history then you may wish to explain the origins and timing of these deposits. "

Well it worked fo me because it does indeed show how much money is in the accounts. They don't need to see the transaction history.

When was this?

The rules and requirements are always subject to change; what worked in the past wont necessarily work now!

When was this?

The rules and requirements are always subject to change; what worked in the past wont necessarily work now!

This was when I sponsored a girl to come over.. It refers to my accounts, not hers. I used the cover pages of the statements that showed totals for the various accounts. I didn't bother with the actual statement with the listing of transactions. That would have been over 50 pages. It was early last year.

It was early last year.

I assume you mean early 2012 rather than 2011; doesn't matter anyway because as theoldgit said in an earlier post

the immigration rules were changed some months ago

That is, since your friend applied.

As has already been said, applicants and or sponsors do not need to provide statements from all their bank accounts, just those which contain the funds being used for the trip.

Edited by 7by7

Just finished reading this topic and now I am worried. We are going to Regent House in Bangkok on Tuesday 8th January and I have just been copying documents etc. My worry is about my bank savings account which is online and paperless. I have printed out the online statement but whay proof can I offer. Surely they wont just accept this printout. I have a bank card with me from the same bank but it's not the same account. Can somebody advise please as I don't have much time. Thanks...

Theoldgit has linked to this post from VisasPlus earlier in this topic.

In that post VisasPlus quotes from the reply he recieved from the UKBA:-

With regard to internet banking, we acknowledge the fact that original statements may not be produced and will accept the internet printouts especially if they are backed with other forms of original evidence such as employment contracts and wage slips.

With regard to internet banking, we acknowledge the fact that original statements may not be produced and will accept the internet printouts especially if they are backed with other forms of original evidence such as employment contracts and wage slips.

I do believe that was quoted ( although from the British Embassy ) before the changes to the Rules that came into effect last month. The specified requirements now state ( in relation to internet account printouts ) :

(a) Bank statements must:

(i) be from a financial institution regulated by the appropriate regulatory body for the country in which that institution is operating.

(ii) not be from a financial institution on the list of excluded institutions in Appendix P of these rules.

(iii) in relation to personal bank statements be only in the name of:

(1) the applicant's partner, the applicant or both as appropriate; or

(2) if the applicant is a child the applicant parent's partner, the applicant's parent or both as appropriate; or

(3) if the applicant is an adult dependent relative, the applicant's sponsor or the applicant,

unless otherwise stated.

(iv) cover the period(s) specified.

(v) be:

(1) on official bank stationery; or

(2) electronic bank statements from an online account (defined as one that operates solely over the internet and sends bank statements to its customers electronically) which are either accompanied by a letter from the bank on its headed stationery confirming that the documents are authentic or which bear the official stamp of the issuing bank on every page.

That does refer specifically to those internet accounts that operate solely on the internet, so providing printouts of other accounts may stil be okay ( as stated in the Embassy extract above).

In addition, ECOs now have the discretion to either accept submitted documents or request originals, as here :

(a) In deciding an application in relation to which this Appendix states that specified documents must be provided, the Entry Clearance Officer or Secretary of State ("the decision-maker") will consider documents that have been submitted with the application, and will only consider documents submitted after the application where sub-paragraph (b ) or (e) applies.

(b ) If the applicant:

(i) Has submitted:

(aa) A sequence of documents and some of the documents in the sequence have been omitted (e.g. if one bank statement from a series is missing);

(bb) A document in the wrong format; or

(cc) A document that is a copy and not an original document; or

(ii) Has not submitted a specified document,

the decision-maker may contact the applicant or his representative in writing or otherwise, and request the document(s) or the correct version(s). The material requested must be received by the UK Border Agency or Border Force at the address specified in the request within a reasonable timescale specified in the request.

Be aware that it doesn't say that the ECO will request an original. It says he may do so. It's up to the ECO whether he wants to ask for further documentation or not

Edited by Tony M

Thanks for quick reply 7by7, I guess i was reading too quick, I just wonder though, I find it a strange quote to say they will accept, especially with some original etc. Surely they should just say yes, we accept online bank printout.

Sorry, but this is my first visa application and I don't want to mess it up because of a spurious quote.

I guess I can book the hotel now. Thanks again 7by7 for all your help.

Hi Tony, I guess we are just going to have to bite the bullet on this one, it's going to cost me but there is nothing I can do about it now. there is nothing I can show them to go with the printout apart from a bank card with the same bank but different account, one is a savings and the one with me is a current account. I am getting less and less confident about this now and I hate driving in Bangkok but I'm nearly all gray now so a few more won't bother me too much.