My Friend Accidently Caused Injury To A Thai Motorcycle Taxi Guy...

advancebooking

After reading more posts I am noticing that almost everybody on here is blaming the friend who opened the door. Yes, this person should be looking before opening the door but as I stated above, the motorbike was breaking the law. It is not legal in Thailand to ride on the middle strip and pass cars. With all the complaining I normally see on TV about Thai's not following the the law I am surprised nobody is noticing this. Have we been here so long that even farangs no longer care about the rules on the books?

A rule that is openly disregarded by everyone in society is not really a rule. It is accepted that motorcycles will drive between your car and the curb. You are basing the definition of a rule on something legally written on a piece of paper. That is the law. What is morally acceptable and expected from us is to be determined by each individuals moral compass. I hope that makes sense.

There is not much to comment on this topic. OP seemed to handle the situation reasonably well.

Sorry for repeating, but I don't agree with that. If you break the law (which is there for a reason), you are taking a chance and need to accept the potential consequences. It doesn't matter if it is enforced or not, or if all people accept it I don't think. Or maybe you are arguing that people don't know that law, which is a more palatable argument for me, and that certainly could be (or is?) the case.

Edited by isawasnake

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai people can blame us just for being a farang coming here. And believe it or not , yes we are faulty on this. Let me explain why:

As, there are some rules that are culturally accepted. They are illegal or legal - like passing from curb side - and it is not you to judge as a foreigner, you like it, you stay you do not like it you leave, it is that easy.

But, if you want to stay, you have to learn these and became culturally sensitive and until you learn, if you damage something or create an injury, you have to cover it nicely. Like you do in your country.

Moreover, every Thai person living in Bangkok know that you cannot open any door during the traffic without checking, you cannot jump from a bus without checking as well. This is not a written rule but it is accepted this way and even a 3 years old Thai kid knows this.

So, as a culturally zero farang, if you open the door without checking and even if the motorsai guy broke a rule, still you are faulty on this in the eyes of the Thai people as you just broke an unwritten rule. That is why they blame us like " if the farang is not here, this will never happen"

Yes, it might be illegal to pass on curb side but it is only illegal to us farang here.

BS. If your thai or farang, and you break the law and you get hurt from it, its your fault and not the responcibility of the other person... Even in Thai law.. And part of these "culturally accepted" rules is why thai and farang get hurt... Because the goverment and police don't get off their asses and respect the laws and enforce them...

Thai people can blame us just for being a farang coming here. And believe it or not , yes we are faulty on this. Let me explain why:

As, there are some rules that are culturally accepted. They are illegal or legal - like passing from curb side - and it is not you to judge as a foreigner, you like it, you stay you do not like it you leave, it is that easy.

But, if you want to stay, you have to learn these and became culturally sensitive and until you learn, if you damage something or create an injury, you have to cover it nicely. Like you do in your country.

Moreover, every Thai person living in Bangkok know that you cannot open any door during the traffic without checking, you cannot jump from a bus without checking as well. This is not a written rule but it is accepted this way and even a 3 years old Thai kid knows this.

So, as a culturally zero farang, if you open the door without checking and even if the motorsai guy broke a rule, still you are faulty on this in the eyes of the Thai people as you just broke an unwritten rule. That is why they blame us like " if the farang is not here, this will never happen"

Yes, it might be illegal to pass on curb side but it is only illegal to us farang here.

BS. If your thai or farang, and you break the law and you get hurt from it, its your fault and not the responcibility of the other person... Even in Thai law.. And part of these "culturally accepted" rules is why thai and farang get hurt... Because the goverment and police don't get off their asses and respect the laws and enforce them...

IMHO, loserlazer makes some good points, if a law is not enforced it's a non-law.

I was in a taxi on Sukhumvit. The taxi was rear ended by a tuk tuk. The taxi driver lost his cool and slammed his door open. Of course he didn't look and a motorcycle taxi slammed into his door. The motorcycle taxi driver was up in a flash and was angry as hell. I gave my taxi driver money for the fare and walked up the road. I have no idea what happened after I quickly left.

Hmmm, bet when you woke up this morning and thought to post here you weren't considering the backlash ....remember this is the General Topics Forum and its a jungle out here tongue.png

Now for my 2 satangs worth. If you have just come off the plane and know nothing about Thailand and road rules (as such) then you could be forgiven for your actions. See ..not everybody here is hostile ..... HOWEVER .... seeing as how you have Thai friends and can speak some Thai I must assume you have been here long enough to know the score. As such you really are stingey, and ungracious and maybe you should ... as the American movies like to say .... 'Have an agonising reappraisal' of your life so far in the LOS. Next time you might not be so lucky.

Your post makes it sound like your the victim. Lucky the guy wasn't going faster or he could have been hospitalized or killed and/or some serious damage done to his bike.

And it would have been HIS fault for overtaking on the inside!

Last time I checked you are allowed to overtake on the inside in Thailand.

Your post makes it sound like your the victim. Lucky the guy wasn't going faster or he could have been hospitalized or killed and/or some serious damage done to his bike.

If the guy had been going faster, then he would definitely be driving irresponsibly. I drive a motorbike and often move up between traffic when it is at a standstill, but I do so very slowly.

When moving between traffic, if at walking pace, you will get to the front at traffic lights soon enough. If you feel that you have to drive at more than walking pace, you are not allowing time to react when the unexpected happens. And the unexpected happens quite often in Thailand :)

The OP describes a bump, not a crash. In this situation, probably equal fault between the OP's friend and the motorcyclist.

Kudos to the OP and friend for not giving in to the initial claim for 3,000 Baht when there was no real injury or property damage.

All the farangs that throw money in situations like this, just strengthen the impression that all farang are morons and cash cows.

• Like 1

IMHO, loserlazer makes some good points, if a law is not enforced it's a non-law.

Perhaps, but what about the legions of fresh foreigners who've just arrived. To me, his points make no sense in light of that. But with people who have been here a while, sure his point is valid -- but that doesn't really solve anything.

Perhaps, but what about the legions of fresh foreigners who've just arrived. To me, his points make no sense in light of that. But with people who have been here a while, sure his point is valid -- but that doesn't really solve anything.

And do these legions of fresh farang make a point of opening car doors without looking in their home countries?

Its nothing to do with Thailand or Timbuktu, its to do with common sense, which sadly these days isnt so common.

• Like 1

Before you open a car door you have to look if there is any traffic comming.

They still waisted a lot of time of the taxidriver, who could not earn any money at that time.

They where stuck in traffic & I doubt he stopped the meter anyhows untill the problem was settled .post-4641-1156693976.gif

Edited by Kipperthai

And do these legions of fresh farang make a point of opening car doors without looking in their home countries?

Its nothing to do with Thailand or Timbuktu, its to do with common sense, which sadly these days isnt so common.

That is a 100% unequivocal yes; cars doors get opened all day and night at the curb without looking, with no ill consequences (at least in my case and 45 years of data). The op's situation was maybe a little different?... but I think this is an important consideration... right or wrong, people just open doors at the curb in other countries. Further, the system(s) seem to be set up to almost preclude any problems as well.

Edited by isawasnake

The answer to your question is it depends on which type of insurance the driver has ..... taxis have first class ...... the second part is who is at fault , insurance would pay if the driver or a passenger was at fault .... in this case it would seem the motocycler was at fault for splitting lanes ...... but the overall point I would make is that first class insurance pays if a passenger causes and is at fault for a problem in the same way it would pay if no one is at fault like if a wheel came off and smashed a car. That doesnt however stop the insurance company from sueing the passenger who caused the problem if they wanted to. The Driver is by law responsible and the insurance pays the driver who compensates the "victum" , the insurance can collect from the passenger but can't stiff the driver or the "victum".

Naturally in street negoitations none of the applys but thats how the law works if it went to court. So the answer in the end is that if the passenger was at fault and it cost a lot, if the insurance wanted to recoup their losses they could , however in the real world they don't waste any time doing that.

If you take it to an extreeme it makes it easier to understand ,,,,, if a passenger threw a beer bottle at a pedestrian the drivers insurance would be responsible to insure the driver from damages , however the insurance company is insuring the car and the driver not the passenger so they can sue the passenger for their losses. The insurance and the law make it so any damages that result from the car or the passengers or a flying wheel are all the same, the responsibility of the driver and the company insuring them so they are primarily responsible for damages to the victums , however they can recoup losses from bad acts or neglegence from irisponsible partys ..... but they can't just refuse to pay the victums even if the party they insured or the person in the car was at fault due to even gross negligence.

• Like 2

A lot of apologists on here. Yes it was an accident. I would have said sorry and left it at that smile.png If it really was a criminal offence and the passenger was at fault the police would have insisted and wouldn't let it go so easily. They looked and thought THB 300 fair enough given it was freely offered, and most probably lucky to even get that.

The moto cycle taxi driver needs to take a lot of the blame for not anticipating that this could happen - as well as overtaking on the left. They know this happens a lot and I've seen accidents due to this quite a few times - between Thais only too I'd add. [Edit can't recall seeing anyone pay cash tho' in this situation where no real harm done ]

Contrary to what a lot of people preach the rule is generally that people should overtake on the right. [see section 44 of the attached for the general rule] Just that most people ignore it along with all the rest of the traffic laws, and think it's OK to just overtake in whatever manner you feel.

http://thailaws.com/.../tlaw0140_5.pdf

Regardless of law any idiot should realise overtaking on the left is more dangerous, and that includes passing stationery cars too. Reason among many: it's less easy to be spotted.

BTW Wonder how many other laws the moto cycle taxi was breaking at the time. Their driving is usually poor at best smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

And it would have been HIS fault for overtaking on the inside!

Last time I checked you are allowed to overtake on the inside in Thailand.

They also use the hard shoulder to undertake while tailgating 2 other cars on the expressway.

When the cab did that at speed I opened a can of beer, "have to get your kicks before the whole s#*t house goes up in flames"

A lot of apologists on here. Yes it was an accident. I would have said sorry and left it at that smile.png If it really was a criminal offence and the passenger was at fault the police would have insisted and wouldn't let it go so easily. They looked and thought THB 300 fair enough given it was freely offered, and most probably lucky to even get that.

The moto cycle taxi driver needs to take a lot of the blame for not anticipating that this could happen - as well as overtaking on the left. They know this happens a lot and I've seen accidents due to this quite a few times - between Thais only too I'd add. [Edit can't recall seeing anyone pay cash tho' in this situation where no real harm done ]

Contrary to what a lot of people preach the rule is generally that people should overtake on the right. [see section 44 of the attached for the general rule] Just that most people ignore it along with all the rest of the traffic laws, and think it's OK to just overtake in whatever manner you feel.

Regardless of law any idiot should realise overtaking on the left is more dangerous, and that includes passing stationery cars too. Reason among many: it's less easy to be spotted.

BTW Wonder how many other laws the moto cycle taxi was breaking at the time. Their driving is usually poor at best smile.png

Look at section 45. 44 is for roads with a single unmarked lane.

Sukhumvit has 3x marked lanes and as such it's perfectly ok to overtake on the inside.

Sukhumvit has 3x marked lanes and as such it's perfectly ok to overtake on the inside.

Glad someone has an interest in facts :) As I said the general rule is you should overtake on the right. I was just using section 44 as a starting point, as most people won't have read any of it.

Section 45 you mention is also pretty clear on the general rule of overtaking on the right is by saying: "no driver should overtake another vehicle from the left side unless...:"

then lists exceptions to the general rule where it is allowed :)

I don't recall OP saying they were on Sukhumvit Road or how many lanes. It just makes sense to me to highlight many people mistakenly believe it's always fine to overtake on whatever side you feel. The general rule is overtake on the right, but there exceptions when overtaking on the left is acceptable.

Then as mentioned common sense says it's more risky overtaking on the left, as any idiot should know. Any motorcyle taxi driver should realise passing between the car and curb on the left hand side puts them at risk of exactly what happened :)

Glad someone has an interest in facts :) As I said the general rule is you should overtake on the right. I was just using section 44 as a starting point, as most people won't have read any of it.

Section 45 you mention is also pretty clear on the general rule of overtaking on the right is by saying: "no driver should overtake another vehicle from the left side unless...:"

I don't recall OP saying they were on Sukhumvit Road or how many lanes. It just makes sense to me to highlight many people mistakenly believe it's always fine to overtake on whatever side you feel. The general rule is overtake on the right, but there exceptions when overtaking on the left is acceptable.

Then as mentioned common sense says it's more risky overtaking on the left, as any idiot should know. Any motorcyle taxi driver should realise passing between the car and curb on the left hand side puts them at risk of exactly what happened :)

You cheap git. 300 baht? Thats nothing considering it was your friends fault. No wonder they were getting alittle hostile, I'd be somewhat hostile as well if some muppet had opened a door on me without looking. Ya ought to get yer prioroties sorted, at least check the victim is okay first. Its always nice to establish no one is dead, only then you can focus fully on being a tight arse. rolleyes.gif

Maybe you should save up, go home and take a job as a no win no fee lawyer, it'd be quite fitting to your persona.

maybe pomthai should mind his own business instead of writing comical words

• Like 1

I knew I shouldn't have opened this, it made me feel sick.

The majority of posters here should all be rounded up and put in some kind of hostel somewhere and have a challenge amongst them who can live on the least money.

Some very odd people around here.

Its no doubt that hotandhumid could join the group at the hostel he suggests. Im sure that your the most eccentric guy in thailand sitting in your little room in front of the computer with your top hat on. What a fool

OP. Both of you need to leave Thailand. Your friend ignored basic Thai traffic rules (look up, down, left and right) prior to moving your ass.

Then due to his stupidity, a bike driver gets injured (irrelevant if it was minor or major).

Then you have the idiocy to offer only 300 baht to a guy who may have been bruised enough to lose a days´ wages.

No wonder Thais hate our guts.

what a rediculous opinion / take on the situation

After reading more posts I am noticing that almost everybody on here is blaming the friend who opened the door. Yes, this person should be looking before opening the door but as I stated above, the motorbike was breaking the law. It is not legal in Thailand to ride on the middle strip and pass cars. With all the complaining I normally see on TV about Thai's not following the the law I am surprised nobody is noticing this. Have we been here so long that even farangs no longer care about the rules on the books?

so is it legal to open left door or any door in between the traffic in the middle lane? Or open a door without looking the traffic? No it is not legal.

C'mon man, please be objective. Just blame a farang first time in your life.

I blame farangs all the time. Many of us are ignorant (including myself) sometimes. In THIS case both parties were at fault and neither person should compensate or be compensated.

Eh.. If there wasn't 2x or more lanes how would you manage to overtake on the left? There would be no room.

The rule basically says that on any road where you are able to overtake on the left, you may do so.

I was in a taxi on Sukhumvit. The taxi was rear ended by a tuk tuk. The taxi driver lost his cool and slammed his door open. Of course he didn't look and a motorcycle taxi slammed into his door. The motorcycle taxi driver was up in a flash and was angry as hell. I gave my taxi driver money for the fare and walked up the road. I have no idea what happened after I quickly left.

Your fault.

300baht, excellent effort.

Nothing like beating a fraud at his own game.

Beating a fraud? This idiot caused a lot of trouble to this guy and the taxidriver

Fritz has reading problems. He cant understand that the motorcycle guy was faking injury in order to get thb3000 for nothing.

Maybe the pavement was hot.

Eh.. If there wasn't 2x or more lanes how would you manage to overtake on the left? There would be no room.

The rule basically says that on any road where you are able to overtake on the left, you may do so.

One wide unmarked road would suffice. No, the rule says you should generally overtake on the right, and "should not overtake on the left unless...."

As "thewug" correctly said in post #111, there was no left hand lane to overtake in - the taxi was already in it :)

As you correctly predicted there didn't turn out to be enough room. There was a door competing for the space and the motorcycle lost the competition.

Anyone with half a brain should realise if you pass a stationery vehicle there's a risk someone may open the door. In fact when I was learning to drive it was one of the first things I was taught - to always anticipate a door opening from a stationary vehicle.

Let's face it this accident happens often enough that a moto cycle taxi driver in particular should know the risk. I'd often add it's usually between Thais, and as in any accident you should stop and offer assistance as needed, which the OP's lady friend did. Thais usually wouldn't pay for this is no-one hurt and no damage.

The motocycle guy should also know that even if the passenger does look, she may not see the motorcycle if he's in a blind spot.

Seems a case of "som nam na" to me. As we're in Thailand, perhaps it was also his kharma for being a chancer and having previously ripped off someone else in either this life or the last :)

OP. Both of you need to leave Thailand. Your friend ignored basic Thai traffic rules (look up, down, left and right) prior to moving your ass.

Then due to his stupidity, a bike driver gets injured (irrelevant if it was minor or major).

Then you have the idiocy to offer only 300 baht to a guy who may have been bruised enough to lose a days´ wages.

No wonder Thais hate our guts.

And "someone" has the "idiocy" to make a public statement to the effect of not knowing that 300 baht is a day's average wage for a motorbike taxi driver.

Take a note, Somtom: The only reason I ever think of leaving LOS, is to escape psychotic, confronatational, belligerent ex-pats such as yourself.

No wonder Thais hate your guts.

And, what am I supposed to be looking up and down at? The BTS and the asphalt?