Songthaew Anybody?.....a Tourist Reality Guide

eyecatcher

Love sitting in the back of a hot truck smelling diesel smoke when I could be in a cool taxi for the same or less

Care to share the phone number of thischeesy.gif 20cheesy.gif baht cheesy.gif taxi.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I imagine Jeffrey's referring to folk who charter a songtell rather than an AC taxi, not those that hop in the back of a communal songtell.

My tactics are a little different;

(1) Stop songthaew but try to be selective, younger guy with designer shades and tons of gold are to be ignored, better off with an older person preferably a female or a couple.

(2) Tell the driver where you want to go, do not hesitate this will give driver a chance to ask one of the following, "How many people" "How much you give me" "Oooooo, Hummmm" if he manages to ask forget it! And move on to next songthaew.

(3) Get in/on enjoy the ride, once at destination give the buzzer a firm press always be prepared for it not working in which case a few hard slaps on the seat will get their attention.

(4) Now the tricky part, exit the songthaew making sure you have your 20 Bt ready, walk to window giving a big smile (after all it is the land of smiles) with a "khop khun krap" hand the 20 Bt to driver immediately turning and walk briskly away.

If possible do not travel at school break/closing times this will often result being driven to your destination via Beijing and will take anything up to 45 minutes. If traveling back into town from either the train or bus station it is prudent to walk a few hundred yards away, more often than not a partly loaded songthaew will stop and offer his service, you simply implement point 2.

Love sitting in the back of a hot truck smelling diesel smoke when I could be in a cool taxi for the same or less

Care to share the phone number of thischeesy.gif 20cheesy.gif baht cheesy.gif taxi.cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

I imagine Jeffrey's referring to folk who charter a songtell rather than an AC taxi, not those that hop in the back of a communal songtell.

No those would cost you more than 20 baht. I have never done it but I am told you can hire one to take you someplace with out any other stops but I think unless it was just a short distance it would cost you more than 20 baht.

Maybe Jeffery would be nice enough to post a phone number for this marvelous service. I just told a friend we will come for x mass diner and don't know where he lives now. So I told the wife to handle it. She will call the friends wife and get the directions and then arrange a ride to and from the affair.

As soon as Jeffery comes up with this 20 baht ride we will book it. They are some where out on the inner ring road and we are close to the old city.

I ride songthaews every day, sometimes many times a day and I must say that Eyecatcher's OP is mostly "right on". I'd agree with Hellodolly that you should state your location and then hustle into the back of the truck and not ask the price. If 5 or 6 songthaew drivers just shake their heads and say "mai pai", then I demonstrate my Thai language skills by quoting something like "si sip baht" the four fingers I hold up may enhance communication.

As one of my Ladies Lunch friends said "she didn't think she'd spent her Golden Years riding around in the back of a pick-up truck", but that's what many of us are doing. Songthaews are just one of many reasons why Chiang Mai is so good for older retired expat ladies.

When you've spent time in other parts of the world, the little red trucks are pretty good and fairly cheap. Every day can be an interesting experience if you are willing to open your eyes and live a little. Now, following one of them on your scooter when you can't get past is another story altogether.

Gotta admit he might have a chance at writing comedy.

That is what I was thinking. An amusing OP, but divorced from my reality. I ride songthaews often and I never ask the price and I hardly ever have to stop more than once or twice on a direct route to where I am going. Of course, if you are going somewhere out of the way, it gets more complicated and more expensive, but normally not enough to matter.

Edited by Ulysses G.

have not been overcharged by a songthaew ever. in contrast to tuk-tuk that overcharges every time.

If you must use a tuk tuk, try to have the correct change. Because, despite the wad of bills in his pocket he just can't find 40 or 50 baht.

Happens often. Of course it's no problem for folks who like to tip 50 - 100%.

That is what I was thinking. An amusing OP, but divorced from my reality. I ride songthaews often and I never ask the price and I hardly ever have to stop more than once or twice on a direct route to where I am going. Of course, if you are going somewhere out of the way, it gets more complicated and more expensive, but normally not enough to matter.

Every once in a while I get a songtaoe who gives me a ride around the city dropping off other riders. I don't mind that much and would enjoy it if he would have me sit up front so I could see the city better. For the most part they go pretty direct to where I am going. I think it depends on the time of day as to how many passengers and different destinations they have or go to. Also where you are going I ride from Kat San Gow to the night bazaar for 20 baht. Have never been asked for more. I think one thing that helps is as soon as you talk to them the first thing you say is Sawasdecup (Cant spell Thai worth a hoot) Then tell them your destination. If they say 40 baht I often say yisip baht and half the time they say OK. Some of the time they shake their head and I get the next one or some of the time I agree and get in.

Can't hardly wait for Jeffrey's phone number for a 20 baht cab. That for sure would beat being behind a diesel burning vehicle on a motorbike.

I am beginning to think he made it up.

Edited by hellodolly

I wonder if he is as unknowledgeable about his business as he is Songthaewos.

He even got the procedure wrong.#4

The recommended procedure was my precis; which came direct from this months guidelines.

and if you didnt realise; my life on TV has been one joke after another because i often have nothing relevant to saycoffee1.gif but i try to entertain and bring smiles to an often dour forum.

translation for Songtell whistling.gif

The Songtell is gone it seems..HD not mentioned it once...............

......however guys, lets says these 2 are improvements Songthaewos. and songtaoe

Just when Songtell became part of out thai vocabulary; he creates something new.

clap2.gif

• Like 1

I wonder if he is as unknowledgeable about his business as he is Songthaewos.

He even got the procedure wrong.#4

The recommended procedure was my precis; which came direct from this months guidelines.

and if you didnt realise; my life on TV has been one joke after another because i often have nothing relevant to saycoffee1.gif but i try to entertain and bring smiles to an often dour forum.

I believe I covered that. also read all your posts on minimum wage.

As for from this months guidelines.

That is a joke to those of us who live hear and know better but some tourist might look at it and think they change the guide lines every month.

They are fine for short term stays, better to get a motorbike if long term. Many years ago during a long stay in Pattaya I became so p*ssed off at the blue versions overcharging and stealing change that I just walked everywhere and considerable distances. Found in CM if you speak Thai there really are no major dramas but a bike is still easier to get around.

......however guys, lets says these 2 are improvements Songthaewos. and songtaoe

Just when Songtell became part of out thai vocabulary; he creates something new.

clap2.gif

Songtell(w) would be 'two bisexuals'

Edited by TommoPhysicist
  • Like 1

clap2.gif

Songtell(w) would be 'two bisexuals'

Sorry about not saying songtell I am under cover hiding from the spelling police. I did not want to raise up their vary rightisnous indignation. Truth is I never could catch on to the secret of spelling. There are times when no matter how many ways I try I can not get my spell checker to find the right spelling,

Now I see that I have some suport maybe I will come out of hiding. Not bad only two words mispelled now three. I will let the spelling police find them. with your suport and continuis suport I may be able to come out from under cover. O my goodness gracious now there is six of them.

• Like 1

Speaking a bit of Thai does seem to earn you "extra credit" with the songthaew drivers. Actually, you don't need to speak Thai -- most of my friends know how to tell a song thaew driver where they live.

But, I sometimes speak a bit more than just "pai Kad Suan Kaew, na ka" and that usually earns me a place in the front seat. Being an older lady with grey hair may help, too, although I think I still look fully capable of climbing into the back of a pick-up truck.

It seems that some of the drivers, especially the older ones are merely bored and want to try to have a conversation with someone different. The questions they ask in Thai are the same ones you're asked by English-speaking Thai people when they first meet you. "Where are you from" "How long do you stay in Chiang Mai" "How old are you" "Are you married?" "How old are your children" "Where do you live in Chiang Mai' I've just given up trying to explain that in my culture you don't ask a woman my age her age and they don't understand when I try to make it into a joke "au-ye yee-sip gaew pee talot weela" (29 years old forever).

So a bit of Thai language ability (and the grey hair, probably) does earn me some nice aircon rides in the front of a songtell.

Neve mind the amusing advice about taking a songtao. Just remember to take a shower and brush your teeth yourself before getting on board !! Durian is really a no-no anywhere except in the secluded privacy of your own home (or in a field) !! Songtaos? Hike up your drawers and go for it!

Here's some more cheap counsel, anyway. Twenty baht is the common expected fare per person within the Superhighway. Otherwise, if you are worried about another 10-20 baht, you best walk!! Don't try to use a map!!! Get someone to write down your usual destinations in Thai to show the driver, at least! Even learn to pronounce them !!!!!!!!!!! Learn how to read a map yourself, but absolutely don't expect to use a map effectively with the mass of drivers! It is not their strength nor do they have the time or interest to share your interest in maps of Chiang Mai. Otherwise, they have a dependable local GPS system built in! They, after all, know where they are. You don't !!

To help yourself further, get an Thai-English (or just Thai) map! There are some. Go to a bookstore! Go to UG's place. He probably has some. Come to think of it, no doubt UG would be willing to help you personally! Maybe he can even make a baht by creating an aide for expats with popular destinations (except soapy massage parlors, of course !!) Oh, don;t forget to ask him where the "dirty books" room is in back. He even has D.H. Lawrence !!!!

For traveling beyond the Superhighway, I found this wonderful gift to TV Chiang Mai: http://www.openchian...283.html . It is a beaut!

Happy peregrinations!!! smile.png

Edited by Mapguy
  • Like 1

I hate to be an old grump, but I pretend not to understand when they ask me to sit in the front and immediately go sit in the back. 10 minutes of the driver trying to make inane conversation in English or Thai - on top of the 20 baht fee - is just too much to pay.

I would say half the time I elect to sit in the front especially on long distances. I just plop myself in the front seat and never a problem. You can get into some pretty interesting and informative conversations when talking with some of the 'masses'. One time I had to go to the US Consulate from CMU and offered an amount to take me non-stop (no pickups on the way). The driver looked just like Carabao with bandana, beard and all. Fascinating to listen to his thoughts and insights to the police, the government, the 'shirts' etc. He wasn't shy about discussing the mess and I learned a bit more about the fundamental Thai and their feeling. Yes, a bit one sided but balanced with discussions with others.

So I would say you are missing out if not trying it. Of course some don't say a single word, some complain about the traffic, weather etc, but still can be an interesting learning experience even then.