Is Traffic Affecting Your Decisions On When And Where To Go?

steelepulse

A couple of days ago I was speaking with a friend that lives in a big city where you can be stuck in traffic for two hours at a time. He told me that everyone there pretty much lives, works, shops and does their recreational activities within a close radius to minimize traffic.

Yesterday I took my daughter to school a bit after 7. It took about 35 minutes to get there and 50 minutes to return for a 15km journey each way. It took 4 green lights to get through the Central intersection. Today I left a bit before 7 and the whole trip took 45 minutes as I beat most of the traffic.

My question is, does the heavy traffic,which will only get heavier, influence your getting around the island now? 3 or 4 years ago it wasn't nearly this bad, but with all the new lights, new cars, and new drivers, it seems like it's almost exponentially worse.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very much so. I live in Kathu and will try to avoid going anywhere near roads between Lotus Intersection and Central Intersection (and beyond) during evening rush hours. The rush hour times seems to be getting longer these days and the roads start getting clogged from 3pm until 7pm. The two-year tunnel construction is going to make it horrible. The new traffic light sequence is making the lotus junction a little bit better but nothing significant.

But in general, yes, I do my best to go where I need to go during the mornings and early afternoon and then camp up after that. I feel for the people who travel in rush hour daily and do the school runs.

Yes it has had a big influence on me and 2 of my friend.They have left and I am in the middle of packing and getting out of here before it gets any worse (and it's going to).

Last week driving off the Island took me 2 hours from Rawai to the bridge.

On the way I saw 5 accidents and numerous road rage incidents.

It's the road rage that is getting to me.The 2 friends who have left were attacked quiet violently for doing nothing more than sounding their horns to avoid the childish morons hitting their trucks.

The one being a m/bike driving down the wrong side of the road and the other a moronic mini bus driver overtaking on a blind bend.

The thing that frightens me is that they know nothing will ever be done to them for attacking a falang so who do you turn to for help in these situations?

Certainly not the police.

I also know a lot more people who are seriously thinking of moving also.

Yes it has had a big influence on me and 2 of my friend.They have left and I am in the middle of packing and getting out of here before it gets any worse (and it's going to).

It's the road rage that is getting to me.The 2 friends who have left were attacked quiet violently for doing nothing more than sounding their horns to avoid the childish morons hitting their trucks.

The one being a m/bike driving down the wrong side of the road and the other a moronic mini bus driver overtaking on a blind bend.

The thing that frightens me is that they know nothing will ever be done to them for attacking a falang so who do you turn to for help in these situations?

I asked you in another thread where are you moving to? Maybe you can PM me. The clock is ticking down fast on Phuket. Always on the lookout for a new Plan B.

Edited by NamKangMan

If I am forced to go to the airport then I take the scenic coastal rout through Patong - Kamala - Laguna - and follow the back road to the airport. Slow roads, takes much the same time, but much less stressful.

I have to think twice before venturing onto the Chalong - Phuket Town main corridor, Try to drive 10.00 - 15.00 only.

lly

I asked you in another thread where are you moving to? Maybe you can PM me. The clock is ticking down fast on Phuke. Always on the lookout for a new Plan B.

Langkawi does not have traffic jams, not much traffic actually

• Like 1

I live in Nai Harn, and work in Laguna Phuket. I drive to and from work everyday on a scooter. In the mornings, I tend to drive past Central to the by-pass road and head to Laguna from that direction - same in the evening coming home. IF I leave Nai Harn by 6:30 every morning, there is no traffic and I can make it to Laguna in 45 to 50 minutes ... at least up until about 2 weeks ago. The traffic has gotten and continues to get worse here in Phuket. Yesterday morning, when it was raining, I left Nai Harn at 6:45 and didn't arrive to Laguna until 8:05 because the traffic was so backed up. I generally see an accident a day either in the morning or the evening coming home. I prefer to take the beach way back at night, but now that high season has started, it takes a long time to get through Patong, too. If I leave work at 6:00 p.m. in the evening, I'm usually not back in Nai Harn until 7:15.

I've always been okay to drive here, but am starting to find it stressful as driving standards aren't always up to par, and without offending anyone, I'll leave it at that...

lly

I asked you in another thread where are you moving to? Maybe you can PM me. The clock is ticking down fast on Phuke. Always on the lookout for a new Plan B.

Niether has the ar-e end of Australia.But who in their right mind wants to go there.

I take the Phuket Town road (Chao Fah East) rather than the By-Pass Road (Chao Fah West) when I go to and from the town from Rawai. It's a slower road but not so many commuter vans driven by morons.

There are still some, however, and a few days ago when I was coming back from the town a commuter van overtook using the bike lane just before Par Lai traffic lights, then pushed in to the queue of cars (he wasn't turning left to Par Lai), then passed another pickup using the bike lane and then cut in front to turn right. Several dangerous manoeuvres one after the other. Unbelievable.

Funny this thread has popped up.

I was out today looking at properties more north of Kata. Lot more north.

I just can't drive here anymore and getting the young one to PIA on time has now come impossible.

Driver skill is not existent and the amount of selfish actions (random uturns without looking) on the road have me raging where I want to give up driving here altogether.

No matter where you go the traffic gets worse all the time not just Phuket but everywhere in every country, its just something you have to put up with

We have changed the time we travel any distance to avoid the traffic jams

Most other countries look into ways of reducing traffic.

Not here what do they do give people incentive to go into debt to put more vehicles on the road by giving first time buyers the tax back and by kowtowing to some tinpot taxi mafia who will not let anyone run a public transport system

Traffic is not yet really an issue at North East where I spend most of my time.

When riding from the heroinas monument down south, the traffic is sometimes bad during the rush hours.

Nope. My step-thru goes to the front of every set of red lights. My travel times have only been slowed down due to the increase in traffic lights, not the actual traffic.

If I had to drive a car, I would have gone mad.

Now you have gone straight to the crux of the matter. All the motor bikes squeeze up to the front of the lights and gum up the works. They leave much less times for the cars to get through sad.png

I have noticed that the traffic has increased so so much this month (start of high season). As I mentioned before the buses (large & small) are here in force. Then we have all the newbie tourists hiring cars just pottering about on the roads either sightseeing or too timid to overtake a motor bike.

Its the pottering around by clueless tourists that gets to me.

U turns and hesitation. Its this that causes most accidents. The south is getting to unbearable, cant park anywhere at all.

• Like 1

Nope. My step-thru goes to the front of every set of red lights. My travel times have only been slowed down due to the increase in traffic lights, not the actual traffic.

ditto, i don't mind the traffic that much when i'm on my bike, i can get to the front at the lights and most of the reds are a waste of time anyhow so i just drive straight through when clear. but when i have to take the truck its a nightmare. i'd rather drive the bike in the pouring rain than the truck any day.

• Like 1

ditto, i don't mind the traffic that much when i'm on my bike, i can get to the front at the lights and most of the reds are a waste of time anyhow so i just drive straight through when clear. but when i have to take the truck its a nightmare. i'd rather drive the bike in the pouring rain than the truck any day.

Try not to be one of the 3500 motorbike accidents as reported to the police last year

probably a lot more this year, i wonder how many are not reported

Edited by petercallen

picked 2 Russian tourists out of the ditch/ drain gully on the hill down to Karon from patong, what a mess the passenger was in, bone through the elbow and the skin had peeled off her leg, managed to calm them down until the ambulance came, the bike was a new 125cc click, well bent out of shape, she had the rental agreement on her that said "50,000 baht excess" so really the price of a new bike. hopefully they are doing OK, my car just lays there, can't be bothered with the traffic hassles around Patongsad.png

picked 2 Russian tourists out of the ditch/ drain gully on the hill down to Karon from patong, what a mess the passenger was in, bone through the elbow and the skin had peeled off her leg, managed to calm them down until the ambulance came, the bike was a new 125cc click, well bent out of shape, she had the rental agreement on her that said "50,000 baht excess" so really the price of a new bike. hopefully they are doing OK, my car just lays there, can't be bothered with the traffic hassles around Patongsad.png

I drive that Karon/Patong road every day, and often see motor bikes in the deep rain gully. Newbie tourists with no idea how to control/drive a mbike. The rentors love it, they make even more money on the high repair/replacement price demanded.

• Like 1

Being in heavy traffic is not fun. Combine that with a populace that has serious issues with driving competence and attitudes and the recipe for bigger problems arises. Almost hourly while driving on Phuket, I encounter situations that are in reality attempted murder. Harsh perhaps but I will stick with what I am saying. I personally take offense when others endanger me or my family because of selfish driving techniques or lack thereof. It became apparent to me that with the underpass projects coming soon that moving away was better for my health and sanity. I moved off the island about 6 months ago and now enjoy mostly calm cruisin' with little traffic and far fewer self appointed important drivers...

I drive that Karon/Patong road every day, and often see motor bikes in the deep rain gully. Newbie tourists with no idea how to control/drive a mbike. The rentors love it, they make even more money on the high repair/replacement price demanded.

The main problem here is that tourists think the actual roads are quality all the way. Inevitably they hit a pot-hole, or a crack that tosses them off the bike.

Half the skill of riding a motor-bike here, is memorizing where all these pot-holes and other hazards are. This is especially important during the rainy season when deep pot-holes are disguised as shallow puddles.

Another important requirement is having the correct pressure in your tyres. I have not seen a single bike mechanic ever use an air pressure gauge. They do it by feel. If I have to let a shop put air in my tyres, the first stop is at a gas station where I can adjust the pressure to the correct value, myself.

Step-thrus require a tyre pressure of between 30 to 32 psi. Whenever I have checked how much the mechanic has put in, it averages 60 psi.

As these bikes are so light, this will launch the bike into the air if going over a bump and will cause the bike to "skitter" when going over those white painted series of speed bumps that seem to be everywhere now.

• Like 1

Niether has the ar-e end of Australia.But who in their right mind wants to go there.

I can not talk about your mentioned Australia, as I have never been there.

But regarding, -Langkawi- its definitely a place to consider.

If you have a family, children, wife or nice satisfying GF already, do not need Bars, numerous Ladies, big nightlife, Discos ect.

Just nice there, the island is more beautiful, but the beaches over all are looking better in Phuket, if they would not be so crowded even better.

Phuket's real down fall is the heavy traffic for me, an hour in the traffic jam in Kamala-Kalim-Patong, easy! after 5-5:30 PM

-Penang- has a similar problem around its enormous capital town! At least around the most other parts of the islands the traffic is smoothly running.

Anyway, Penang also a NO, and Phuket less and less for me!