Bankrupt Brit Leaps To His Death In Bangkok

webfact

Bankrupt Brit Leaps To His Death In Bangkok

brit.jpg

A 56-year-old British man apparently overcome by financial worries jumped off an 8th floor condominium in Bangkok. He had no job in Thailand and was living off an inheritance. However, problems with inheritance taxes had apparently left him broke.

BANGKOK – November 21, 2012 [PDN]; a report of a man falling from a high-rise condominium building was received by Pol. Maj. Capt. Ittichai Mongkun, detective officer, Yannawa police station.

He reported the incident to his commander and went to the scene with Pol. Col. Thanatit Wongwairak, the director of Yanawa police station; Pol. Lt. Col. Boonchoo, Rattanakitkorn, vice director of Yanawa police station; Pol. Lt. Col. Rattanapanadda, detective inspector, Yannawa police station; and the Po Tek Tueng foundation staff.

The incident occurred at the St. Louis Grand Terrace Condo, a 28-story luxury condominium at soi Sathorn 11, south Sathorn, Yanawa, Sathorn, Bangkok.

At the back area of the building, police found the body of Mr. John Douglas Rose 56 years old, nationality British. He was lying on the ground in a pool of blood, wearing only grey shorts. Both legs were broken and he had a skull fracture, with a lot of blood seeping from his head.

Police checked the victim’s 8th floor room and did not find any traces from fighting or ransacking for personal property. Police questioned a close Thai friend of the British man, “Mr. Tik” (alias), who had been living with the victim.

Mr. Tik said that Mr. John did not have a job, and had been transferring money to his account every month from an inheritance left by his parents. Mr. John came to Thailand in July, and was renting the Bangkok condo for 33,000 THB a month.

Full story: http://www.pattayada...ath-in-bangkok/

-- Pattaya Daily News 2012-11-22

footer_n.gif

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I suppose money worries happen to us all at some time in our life but most people just move on and get back on their feet and start over again, I think if you were that hard up he could have tried moving into a cheaper condo for a start I have known a few friends recently in BKK whom have moved to low-cost condos while going through a tough financial period maybe Mr Tik could have helped him out more with the finances and upped his shared contribution for a while. R.I.P and condolences to Mr John Rose’s friends and family.

man falling from a high-rise condominium building was received by Pol. Maj. Capt. Ittichai Mongkun, detective officer, Yannawa police station. He reported the incident to his commander and went to the scene with Pol. Col. Thanatit Wongwairak, the director of Yanawa police station; Pol. Lt. Col. Boonchoo, Rattanakitkorn, vice director of Yanawa police station; Pol. Lt. Col. Rattanapanadda, detective inspector, Yannawa police station; and the Po Tek Tueng foundation staff.

Behind every tragedy there are numerous operational and organisational details. blink.png

I imagine if a serious police matter ever arose in that precinct they would start rolling out the Air Vice Marshals and Supreme Grand Generals.

By the way, what the heck is a "Police Major Captain". Was he a "Minor Captain" before his last promotion?

whistling.gif

man falling from a high-rise condominium building was received by Pol. Maj. Capt. Ittichai Mongkun, detective officer, Yannawa police station. He reported the incident to his commander and went to the scene with Pol. Col. Thanatit Wongwairak, the director of Yanawa police station; Pol. Lt. Col. Boonchoo, Rattanakitkorn, vice director of Yanawa police station; Pol. Lt. Col. Rattanapanadda, detective inspector, Yannawa police station; and the Po Tek Tueng foundation staff.

Behind every tragedy there are numerous operational and organisational details. blink.png

Lends credibility to the report, just in case someone wants to question something. :(

I imagine if a serious police matter ever arose in that precinct they would start rolling out the Air Vice Marshals and Supreme Grand Generals.

By the way, what the heck is a "Police Major Captain". Was he a "Minor Captain" before his last promotion?

whistling.gif

One doesn't want to create the impression things are treated lightly, by "just" sending two detectives and a constable.

Lends credibility to the report, just in case someone wants to question something. sad.png

Reasonable assumption! They must know how to brief journalists, or how to create unnecessary suspicion...

Edited by Morakot

33000 baht per month luxury condo ? At 56 years of age people still don't know how to live within thier means. blink.png

Sadly an all to common story here. Foriegners coming to Thailand and unable to keep thier lives in order then end up in the newspapers or TV threads.shock1.gif

• Like 2

33000 baht per month luxury condo ? At 56 years of age people still don't know how to live within thier means. blink.png

Sadly an all to common story here. Foriegners coming to Thailand and unable to keep thier lives in order then end up in the newspapers or TV threads.shock1.gif

One is assuming he jumped, and assuming the reports of him running out of money are correct.

From the story we only have Mr. Tiks word about the 'running out of money'

(Do we know if Mr. Tik was a ladyboy?)

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Seems a bit dubious to get into financial trouble within five months of arrival, after having just rented a high-cost condo. One would think that most people could plan at least a few months in advance, and so you'd expect it to take a bit longer to get into that kind of trouble.

Inheritance taxes? I'm not sure how they work in England, but in the U.S. they are either withheld up front or due at the end of the year.

I'm sorry for family and friends; It sounds a bit strange...

the only thing which i find little strange with this story is that he was living of the inheritance but came to Thailand in July, which is just 4 months ago. Surely the inheritance was little more than a few thousand pounds and if it was not, what stopped him from going back home.

something just does not add up here, sad story anyway:(

Money goes west he goes south and Tik goes north!

Regardless of the person, whatever the circumstances are, why subject yourself/family/friends to such a messy death? TIT visit half a dozen Pharmacy's a few hundred Bhat's worth of tablets a bottle of Samsong go out not looking such a mess! He couldn't have that broke!

I just don't get it, someone has the unenviable task of identifying the body or whats left of it, so inconsiderate!

Mr. Tik said that Mr. John did not have a job, and had been transferring money to his account every month from an inheritance left by his parents. Mr. John came to Thailand in July, and was renting the Bangkok condo for 33,000 THB a month.

That's more money for a place to live that I'm making every month. Wouldn't somebody look for a cheaper solution, before "jumping"?

165,000 baht in five months for a condo's insane. I'm wondering what Mr. Tik would say. RIP! Smells fishy.--wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai

Sounds like Mr. Tik is high maintenance.

but aren't most Thai's high maintenance who live in the city they want all the latest brand name clothes plus taken out with there friends to nice restaurants plus clubs and bars and on top of this send money home and still want more on top of this like iphone and ipad ,,

Edited by Notstupid30
  • Like 1

Apart from one comment about MISTER Tik being a Lady Boy in the first page of posts I can't a comment asking the obvious .. was the deceased shacked up with his homosexual partner?

Four months in Thailand, a life in disaray as surely his balance of mind was disturbed enough to commit suicide, finaincial worries, an expensive condo and then there's Mr. Tik. Bombs go tik and this one erupted in a leap of death.

Obviously there is much more behind the events but it still remains just as sad, tragic and a waste of life. Most of us wouldn't sink so fast, let our lives unravel like line spooling off a reel or simply go under when the going gets tough.

• Like 1

I believe that inheritance tax starts at about 300k pounds sterling 15 million baht or more..and its usually paid on the estate duty before passed on..However if the pillar of the community Mr Tik(alias)said its the case that he hs friend had these problems who am I to doubt it..seems a lot of money to go through in a few months..No?

Since Rose is dead, presumably the background information in this story came from "Mr. Tik." As another poster indicated, there always seems to be a Mr. or Mrs Tik who is on site and more than eager to fill in the details and background. Mr. Tik should be a "person of interest" to the police at the very least at this stage.