Importing Personal Items

I am returning to Chiang Mai after being in Canada for 7 months and am planning to import a small crate of items. I had planned to return on a 6 month tourist visa and make the switch to O status later. I am entering Thailand on a brand new passport. My question, is it allowed to import items when entering on a tourist visa? I can only find info about importing duty free and needing an O visa for that. I don't like the possibility of having a shipment denied entry due to having the wrong visa. Anyone have any experience?? On a related matter, can immigration track your past movement into and out of the country if you have a new passport and visa?

'On a related matter, can immigration track your past movement into and out of the country if you have a new passport and visa?'

Maybe it would have been clearer to ask if movements on your old passport are readily known if you are entering for the first time on a new passport.

You can enter Thailand withit no problem, unless it are prohibited items. The only question is if you need to pay import tax on them or not and that depedns on the value.

A visa alone doesn't allow duty free import, except the normal quantities of 200 cigarets etc.

• 4 months later...

Hi

I am planning to set home to Thailand (Pattaya) for a period of sabbatical, and likely keep the place as holiday/retirement home for longer period.

If possible, would like to ship few CBM of various personal belongings (furniture, books, tools, household items) that would be not

much worth if sell, and also have some personal attachment to them. However as I will not have work permit, can not import anything without duty.

Anybody have good guidance on best approach to deal with this; any recommendations for moving companies with good relationship with customs

that could make this nicely? Any other guidance?

Hi

I am planning to set home to Thailand (Pattaya) for a period of sabbatical, and likely keep the place as holiday/retirement home for longer period.

If possible, would like to ship few CBM of various personal belongings (furniture, books, tools, household items) that would be not

much worth if sell, and also have some personal attachment to them. However as I will not have work permit, can not import anything without duty.

Anybody have good guidance on best approach to deal with this; any recommendations for moving companies with good relationship with customs

that could make this nicely? Any other guidance?

there is plenty of info regarding this,but to recommend a co.that has good relations with customs,they all havew00t.gif

cmb subject to expected customs clearance cost (and risk/hassle); could be just couple of cbm all the way to 20ft container (as I am as an expat with

personal belongings in 3rd country at the moment). Would ship over seafreight as no hurry. Trying to figure out how to spread my stuff between Thailand and home country.

from relo agents (outside of Thailand) got comments that "2000USD for container" or "1000USD for 10ft" as "fixed all-inclcusive special fee as long as no forbidden items inside", so seemingly some of them at least have some experience. just wondering if anybody would know an agency who is known to handle these issues quickly, safely and at reasonable cost.