Police Check Trucks, Vans Heading Into Bangkok

webfact

Head of police announcing on Ch 3 now. Said up to 10 police in hospital, some badly injured, from the deliberate attempt by protesters to go & set up a mobile stage (a truck) at government house. HE said there was no need to go that way and most protesters at the time were walking past the troublesome group to the official entrances. Said the police had detained around 100 protesters, who had knives and bullets.

"... Pol Lt-Colonel Rungsak Jongkonrat, a deputy superintendent at a local police station, insisted that police were not preventing people from joining the Pitak Siam-led protest.

"We are just conducting searches for illegal items," he said"

These idiots must think the public at large is completely stupid. And people in vans etc have to register? Register for what??? Because they may have illegal 'items'. Pathetic paranoia by Yingluck. What are the PTP so afraid of?

It's not "By Yingluck"... this is well out of her purview - this is Chalerm in action... shame they didn't set up a dragnet like this when his son went missing after shooting a cop in the face and jumping bail.

Dry season? Certainly not in Pattaya. Everyone carries a raincoat (plastic bag) in Thailand. Why is that a threat? Checking just for drugs? Sounds like they have had too many drugs already if they think people will believe that.

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

I drove bangkok kkc two weeks ago. There were 9 police checkpoints. I got stopped 3 times.

This is hardly earth shattering.

It isn't the business of the police to ask where you go.....

Dont knock the Thai PM or the Thai police,just tell the UK police it isn't their business!

In UK there are many random checks and road blocks where you are stopped and asked

• "Is this your vehicle, sir?"
  • "Where are you going?"
  • "Where are you coming from?"
  • "Have you been drinking?"
  • "What is in the boot? Open it please"

Yeah! And that is not when there is a political rally, that is any day. I have seen random checks with up to 10 motorcycle officers and 5 or 6 cars.

To be honest I don't mind - if my car is stolen, then the police have a good chance of stopping the b*st*rd who doesn't want to buy his own car, just wants mine.

I have even been known to say "Thank you. Next time it maybe someone else driving my car" when the police have finished with me.

Personally I have never had a problem with checks in TH - the army checks near the Burma border are more scary though with the hardware the soldiers carry.

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

I drove bangkok kkc two weeks ago. There were 9 police checkpoints. I got stopped 3 times.

Dont knock the Thai PM or the Thai police,just tell the UK police it isn't their business!

In UK there are many random checks and road blocks where you are stopped and asked

• "Where are you going?"

Yeah! And that is not when there is a political rally, that is any day. I have seen random checks with up to 10 motorcycle officers and 5 or 6 cars.

To be honest I don't mind - if my car is stolen, then the police have a good chance of stopping the b*st*rd who doesn't want to buy his own car, just wants mine.

I have even been known to say "Thank you. Next time it maybe someone else driving my car" when the police have finished with me.

Personally I have never had a problem with checks in TH - the army checks near the Burma border are more scary though with the hardware the soldiers carry.

Wow, that surprises me that this goes on in the UK. I remember in the 1960's & early 1970's the police in the US would stop cars to check to see if their headlights were pointed correctly onto the street, and if not, you got a fix-it ticket. This was determined to be "unreasonable searches", and stopped. About the only time in the US that you ever see a police checkpoint would be for DUI offenses on a major holiday, and even then they tell the press the day before where they are going to set up their checkpoint. You've got to be drunk to drive that road when you have been pre-warned of the checkpoint! Why would the police have the right to ask you where you are going, while you live in free society and go and please as you want?

Edited by stoli

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

• "Where are you going?"

In the UK yes, in the rest of Europe only there is reason...closing because someone rob the bank or something similar. First time I was in the UK and they told me that the police can ask you to open the boot (is it called that way??) of the car I didn't believe it.

In middle Europe I was only asked if I drunk some alcohol, or how fast I think I was driving....but never where I come from where I got to or what is in my car.

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

• "Where are you going?"

In the UK yes, in the rest of Europe only there is reason...closing because someone rob the bank or something similar. First time I was in the UK and they told me that the police can ask you to open the boot (is it called that way??) of the car I didn't believe it.

In middle Europe I was only asked if I drunk some alcohol, or how fast I think I was driving....but never where I come from where I got to or what is in my car.

Certainly on the mitrapaap there are permenant stops in place and many recently added extra ones.

standard statement. Oberspeed. Where u go?

"The drivers of such vehicles will have to register,"

<deleted>? They want names of attendees? Will they be reading these lists aloud like they did with the Supreme Court Justice and their families? Pathetic.

Or maybe they'll get a visit at home during the night, and dragged off to some Gulag, political rehabilitation centre.

Check in Khon Kaen.

Stupid.

Bpai nai.

Bpai chonburi krup.

• "Where are you going?"

Wow, that surprises me that this goes on in the UK. I remember in the 1960's & early 1970's the police in the US would stop cars to check to see if their headlights were pointed correctly onto the street, and if not, you got a fix-it ticket. This was determined to be "unreasonable searches", and stopped. About the only time in the US that you ever see a police checkpoint would be for DUI offenses on a major holiday, and even then they tell the press the day before where they are going to set up their checkpoint. You've got to be drunk to drive that road when you have been pre-warned of the checkpoint! Why would the police have the right to ask you where you are going, while you live in free society and go and please as you want?

Because the UK is not a free society anymore. There was a previous article saying Thailand could learn more about democracy from the US. I hope they don't try and learn from the UK which sadly is now the most policed state in the EU.

• Like 1

Boonlert has said on stage that if the police do that again he will call in the army to deal with them.

Really?????

Next speaker just repeated exactly the same thing

Nice. Call out the army to deal with the police.

Chaos reigns.

But isn't that what usually happens? Corrupt government and police rob the country and disregard the laws and judiciary, accept bribes, allow the rich and well connected to do what they want. When people protest the said police are used as an instrument of suppression. The army either sides with the protestors, the government or stay neutral. The last 2 option usually lead to insurgency. Isn't this the model so often seen in third world countries in South America, Africa, and South East Asia?