Popular Soap Defies Thailand's Social Reality

webfact

I have most often found Thai soap operas as cringe makingly amateur, irritating and a total waste of time. But I have been hooked on this one.

The Thai actress and model, Janie Tienphosuwan is stunning to watch, she comes across as a true professional and someone that means business. She does not portray herself like a silly weepy little schoolgirl as many do in most of these soap operas, she is definitely hot stuff and all woman with total class. Her acting is sincere and convincing. I can describe her as a sort of a femme fatale with a conscience.

They seem to have got all the characters off to perfection and the acting is perfect, in my opinion a par with any American or Bollywood productions.

Watching this production has made a refreshing change and hope that this series will be a precedent for all future series on Thai TV.

Janie Tienphosuwan (born 11 September 1981 in Los Angeles, California) is an American -born Thai actress and model

Production wise it is a mix of nice to horrible. Editors here need to learn when to 'cut'. The show drags and drags at all the wrong points. The storyline is absolutely pathetic and actors unlikely to get a job outside Thailand. But each to his/her own. If it what you are used to watching and there are no options, go with it. Living in theatrical/cinematic bliss is a choice. Thai's have their ways and Farang theirs. Never to the two shall mix.

Here is a link to a Thai actor who went to the US to learn his trade in NY. He recently returned and starred in a Grammy film about to be released. Look at the difference - film is in both English and Thai. Here is the link to the trailer. He used to host a show on the Fashion Channel - UBC 40 at the time. What a change...

The theme was already done way back in the 1930's. It was called Reefer Madness.

Perhaps a more artistic way of putting the message across would be an improvement. But it certainly does cause Paranoia,among other serious side effects.

One side effect seems to be having a manic hairstylew00t.gif

The majority of people are ignorant and thick.

Thais particularly don't read. They certainly aren't educated beyond the absoulte basic.

In the west people read trash if they read at all. The majority have not read the staple classics of 50 years ago.

What do we have? Wall to wall TV. Unending, ever devouring TV.Hhence we havet rash served up to meet the demand.

Junk food on the plate and bubble gum TV for the eyes.

It's trash. Accept it.

All soap is. Some movies are - again cagtering to the popular taste. Hopkins makes good movies. Willis makes popularist ....trash. Or he did before he stopped taking himself seriously and made enough money to laugh at saving the world ......again.

And I've never watched the junk here or at home. Why? Because old age may bring on dementia but why encourage it through active brain rot three times a week for hour an hour at a time?

Next.

Edited by antpet
  • Like 1

Lomotopo

'I have actually watched ~ 25% of this drama. I think the lead actress is pretty good, and I like flashbacks to when the twins were young. The main character is strong and independent. Her motivation for revenge, for her sister's being driven to suicide, is based on her guilt. But she is going over the top. I assume she'll figure that out in the final act?'

and ... Beetlejuice

OMG .... guys guys guys .... come on...you gotta be joking...this stuff will turn your brain to mush .. mush ... mush ...mush I say ....'Mush you little doggies...little doggie, little doggie ... how much is that doggie in the window....window of your mind ... don't mind if I do ...I do, I do, I do ...ABBA...yabba........

he..

l.....

...........p

OMG it's started already .....

Lomotopo

'I have actually watched ~ 25% of this drama. I think the lead actress is pretty good, and I like flashbacks to when the twins were young. The main character is strong and independent. Her motivation for revenge, for her sister's being driven to suicide, is based on her guilt. But she is going over the top. I assume she'll figure that out in the final act?'

and ... Beetlejuice

OMG .... guys guys guys .... come on...you gotta be joking...this stuff will turn your brain to mush .. mush ... mush ...mush I say ....'Mush you little doggies...little doggie, little doggie ... how much is that doggie in the window....window of your mind ... don't mind if I do ...I do, I do, I do ...ABBA...yabba........

he..

l.....

...........p

Psychologists are available to help, the only problem is they like every other business will have these soaps on in the background. There is nowhere to hide in Thailand from them because every outhouse, market stall and restuarant have them turned on.

I absolutely refuse to watch any Thai TV show that doesn't involve a midget or a cretin. rolleyes.gif

. . . you missed out the funny fat guy and the ghost . . .

Or the gay or the idiot with the big false teeth (or is that the cretin).

Anyway I just feign interest because you have to admit there's a lot of fit tottie on these Thai soaps - a bit better than the slappers in Coronation Street and Eastenderslaugh.png ..(British soaps)

Edited by sysardman

Lomotopo

and ... Beetlejuice

he..

l.....

...........p

Psychologists are available to help, the only problem is they like every other business will have these soaps on in the background. There is nowhere to hide in Thailand from them because every outhouse, market stall and restuarant have them turned on.

And you wonder why Thai men find solace in whiskey and the mia Noi or the massage parlor.

I think it's time we see anarchist, non-conformist characters in Thai soaps.

Agreed. I mean how many years more can the 'entertainment' industry churn out the current rubbish and not have the blatant red-shirt character?

Way too much yellow-hued characters to make it anything close to reality.

Production wise it is a mix of nice to horrible. Editors here need to learn when to 'cut'. The show drags and drags at all the wrong points. The storyline is absolutely pathetic and actors unlikely to get a job outside Thailand. But each to his/her own. If it what you are used to watching and there are no options, go with it. Living in theatrical/cinematic bliss is a choice. Thai's have their ways and Farang theirs. Never to the two shall mix.

Here is a link to a Thai actor who went to the US to learn his trade in NY. He recently returned and starred in a Grammy film about to be released. Look at the difference - film is in both English and Thai. Here is the link to the trailer. He used to host a show on the Fashion Channel - UBC 40 at the time. What a change...

The theme was already done way back in the 1930's. It was called Reefer Madness.

Perhaps a more artistic way of putting the message across would be an improvement. But it certainly does cause Paranoia,among other serious side effects.

I presume you mean that Thai soaps have been known to cause paranoia and other serious side effects... you can't seriously be suggesting that "Reefer Madness" is anything other than a misinformed propaganda piece funded by religious nut jobs?

One actually feels dumber within a moment of exposure to those dreadfuls. Oh, how television has accelerated the dumbing down of the population! A non-reading society is quite ripe for exploitation (extending into the West of late, too, it would seem).

The majority of people are ignorant and thick.

Thais particularly don't read. They certainly aren't educated beyond the absoulte basic.

In the west people read trash if they read at all. The majority have not read the staple classics of 50 years ago.

What do we have? Wall to wall TV. Unending, ever devouring TV.Hhence we havet rash served up to meet the demand.

Junk food on the plate and bubble gum TV for the eyes.

It's trash. Accept it.

All soap is. Some movies are - again cagtering to the popular taste. Hopkins makes good movies. Willis makes popularist ....trash. Or he did before he stopped taking himself seriously and made enough money to laugh at saving the world ......again.

And I've never watched the junk here or at home. Why? Because old age may bring on dementia but why encourage it through active brain rot three times a week for hour an hour at a time?

Next.

Why? Because the crap you read is supposedly more "important" than the crap someone else reads? Your "entertainment" is supposedly more "intellectual?" Thais are happy. Get used to it and get over it.

I have most often found Thai soap operas as cringe makingly amateur, irritating and a total waste of time. But I have been hooked on this one.

The Thai actress and model, Janie Tienphosuwan is stunning to watch, she comes across as a true professional and someone that means business. She does not portray herself like a silly weepy little schoolgirl as many do in most of these soap operas, she is definitely hot stuff and all woman with total class. Her acting is sincere and convincing. I can describe her as a sort of a femme fatale with a conscience.

They seem to have got all the characters off to perfection and the acting is perfect, in my opinion a par with any American or Bollywood productions.

Watching this production has made a refreshing change and hope that this series will be a precedent for all future series on Thai TV.

Best satirical post ever.

Hilarious stuff.

• Like 1

I absolutely refuse to watch any Thai TV show that doesn't involve a midget or a cretin. rolleyes.gif

Anyway I just feign interest because you have to admit there's a lot of fit tottie on these Thai soaps - a bit better than the slappers in Coronation Street and Eastenderslaugh.png ..(British soaps)

Down syndrome or mentally retarded people were also popular on these shows.

I haven't watched one in several years as I am of the opinion that to enjoy Thai TV one must possess an IQ lower than 90.

Down syndrome or mentally retarded people were also popular on these shows.

I think it's a slippery slope, do we sweep them under the carpet or do they allow them to function in society as actors or whatever they choose. The few shows that I've seen with Downs Syndrome actors have actually been some of the best and most genuine performances. The same goes for people like Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones, that guy made that show memorable.

I think it's a slippery slope, do we sweep them under the carpet or do they allow them to function in society as actors or whatever they choose. The few shows that I've seen with Downs Syndrome actors have actually been some of the best and most genuine performances. The same goes for people like Peter Dinklage in Game of Thrones, that guy made that show memorable.

I echo that sentiment regarding Game of Thrones, his performance was outstanding and had both my wife and I riveted to the series. It was probably one of the best roles a midget (is that PC?), small guy, has ever had and he played the socks off it. Superb.

Also enjoyed watching Sean Bean take an early dive like he seems to do in every role he plays! When you see Sean Bean in the credits you're sure he'll meet an unfortunate end first... think about it, has he ever lasted an entire film?