Volunteering And Work Permit

I have reached Australian retirement age and am contemplating relocation to Thailand next year.

Rather than retiring full-time I am interested in undertaking at least part-time voluntary work for the next one or two years. I understand that I require a work permit even for voluntary work. So far I have been unable to identify a volunteer organisation in Thailand willing to arrange a work permit, to legitimise the voluntary work.

I would like to hear from somebody who is currently volunteering and in possession of a work permit, or somebody who knows of a voluntary organisation willing to arrange a work permit.

You would not only need a work eprmit but also come on a non-O visa based on volunteering. In Thailand it will be difficult to get a work eprmit once you are on an extension of stay based on retirement (if that is your plan).

Volunteer organisation that are willing to help are difficut to find, but they are there.

perhaps peole can give you better advise if you tell what kinfd of voluntering you looking for (teaching, working with animals, etc) and in what area. Bangkok has different opportunites than Chiang Mai.

Thanks you for your helpful response Mario.

I have Australian tertiary qualifications in management, accounting, computing and project management. My practical experience includes these areas as well as (mainly business) teaching. I would be interested in doing voluntary work in any of these areas, Bangkok or Chiang Mai.

Is there a separate visa especially for volunteering? I would like to delay an extension based on retirement for the very reason that it will prohibit me from doing even voluntary work wihtin the next few years.

Edited by CeeBee

A non immigrant O visa is for volunteers as well as other reasons including being over 50.

You could get a non O visa for being over 50 before you depart Australia. I suggest you get visa from one of the honorary Thai consulates (Brisbane is one). You could even get a multiple entry valid for a year but you would have to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days.

It is having the retirement extension of stay that would restrict you from getting a work permit.

Edited by ubonjoe

whistling.gif It's rather like job hunting.

The company doesn't come looking for you, first you have to make the company see you as someone they need.

If you have the qualifications that a NGO needs here in Thailand they will want you enough to go through the paperwork required to get you here.

So, if you want to make it happen, you've got to impress them enough to make them willing to take that effort.

rolleyes.gif

Thanks UbonJoe

I have already discussed the O visa with the consulate in Brisbane as previously suggested by you. I believe I can also fly to Thailand without an O visa and obtain a visa on arrival for subsequent conversion to an O visa in Thailand, but I will require a return ticket.

The voluntary organisations I have contacted are happy to provide me with documentation to obtain an O visa, which I do not really need because I am well over 50. What they will not arrange is a work permit. In other words, they seem to be quite happy for me to work for them illegally and face the potential consequences. This is the reason for looking for an organisation which is prepared to arrange a work permit.

Hi IMA_FARANG

I have already contacted/read the websites of various voluntary organisations operating in Thailand, but they will not support work permits. I have no problems paying for travel costs, visa fees and accommodation etc (which I would have to do anyway with an extension based on retirement), but am not prepared to work illegally considering the potential consequences.

Therefore, I would be most grateful for the contact details of voluntary organisations willing to arrange a work permit.

OP - Important to note that not all organizations that operate in Thailand are in a position to sponsor you for a WP. They need to have full foundation status in Thailand.

There are many groups that are operate as "Associations", which makes them ineligible to apply for WP's. Even the groups that are qualified, it's a burden they only take for people they are sure will make a significant and sustained contribution to their mission.

So, when talking with potential sponsors, first make sure they can get WP's. Next, as mentioned before, you need to convince them that you're "for real" and that you are really committed to the work.

Hi fstarbkk

I understand that the current cost of a 1 year work permit is only 3,100 Baht and it can be done without involving an agency. If it comes to the worst, I could pay for it. Whatever the status of the volunteer organisation may be, working without a work permit is illegal and not worthwhile taking the risk.

Hi Mario

Indeed, I taught business content courses at two private Thai universities for a number of years. Given that I am over 65, this may be a problem. Volunteer organisations do not appear to bar volunteers over 65.

Hi Mario

Indeed, I taught business content courses at two private Thai universities for a number of years. Given that I am over 65, this may be a problem. Volunteer organisations do not appear to bar volunteers over 65.

It is no problem in getting a work permit. Only that for government workers their 'contract" ends when they reach 60. But it is not unheard of that they continue to work, although no longer as government official but as a contract worker.

Hi fstarbkk

I understand that the current cost of a 1 year work permit is only 3,100 Baht and it can be done without involving an agency. If it comes to the worst, I could pay for it. Whatever the status of the volunteer organisation may be, working without a work permit is illegal and not worthwhile taking the risk.

CeeBee, you are completely correct about the cost. The main hurdle is that NGO's and other organizations don't have unlimited access to WP's and the paperwork for them is a hassle. So they typically don't want to use up their contingent for people who may, or may not be a real asset.

But if you can find a group that's a really good fit with your considerable skill-set, of course you could be a real catch for them. Then all they need is a strong expectation that you'll stay on board for a while.