Police, Protesters Blame The Other For Violence

Lite Beer

Police, protesters blame the other for violence

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Protesters and the police blamed each other yesterday for provoking violent clashes near the site of the Pitak Siam anti-government protest.

General Boonlert Kaewprasit, leader of the anti-government rally, vowed to fight to the death to oust the Yingluck government after police fired a second round of tear gas into the crowd of protesters as they converged on the Royal Plaza.

After hearing seven or eight rounds of tear-gas canisters being fired, Boonlert, the Pitak Siam group leader, ran up on the rally stage with his bodyguards and told the protesters that if he could not remove this government, he was willing to die.

He walked from the stage to the First Army Region headquarters near the protest site and made a phone call to the commander about the situation. He was heard saying into the phone, "Will you let them hurt me like this?'' He then called deputy Army chief General Dowpong Rattanasuwan, asking him to protect the people.

General Pathompong Kesornsuk, former chief adviser of the Supreme Command, told Boonlert that Army chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha was following the situation closely. According to Pathompong, Prayuth commented that the police had rushed to use force against the protesters.

Boonlert also visited two people who had fainted after inhaling tear gas. He told them, "I will make them pay it back. Soldiers are coming,'' he said.

Santi Asoke sect leader Samana Phothirak was among those injured by tear gas.

On the rally stage, speakers urged protesters not to panic and encouraged them to sing soul-stirring songs. More than 10 tear-gas canisters were displayed to the media, protesters and speakers.

Boonlert took to the rally stage again, saying he would hand video clips of clashes between police and protesters to five television stations to show how the protesters had been abused. He said he would release to the public an audio clip on which he claimed members of the red-shirt movement violated the lese majeste law. Boonlert said he had already pledged his life for His Majesty the King, so he was ready to be arrested by police for publicising clips of red-shirt leaders allegedly committing lese majeste offences.

On the stage, Boonlert said police used tear gas against protesters even though he had negotiated with a high-ranking police officer to expand the protest site on to Rajdamnoen Road to accommodate more protesters. He called on the military to come to the protesters' rescue if they believe the police over-reacted or violated the people's rights.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Pol Maj-General Piya Uthayo defended the police's use of tear gas, saying about 500 anti-government protesters tried to destroy a police road blockade erected to keep protesters from entering off-limits zones on Rajdamnoen Road at the Misakawan intersection and Makhawan Rangsan Bridge. He said police warned the protesters not to destroy the barbed-wire blockade, but they cut the wire and approached the police line.

Piya said the protesters also hit police with flag poles and threw water bottles at officials before driving six-wheel trucks into the police line. Five police officers were injured, two of them seriously, he said.

It was at this point, Piya said, that police decided to use tear gas on the protesters. He insisted that the police followed international practices and that the protesters instigated the violence with the intention of violating the provisions of the Internal Security Act (ISA) 2008, which has been enforced in three districts of Bangkok to control the protest.

He said about 100 protesters were detained and 30 bullets and knives were found on them.

Representatives from the Armed Forces met with Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung and National Police chief Pol General Adul Saengsingkaew in the morning to discuss security arrangements before the clashes took place.

Meanwhile, Pol Maj-General Adul Narongsak, spokesman of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, rejected reports that the police had used expired tear gas. He said police suspected that an ill-intentioned party had hurled the old tear-gas canisters, which were found to have labels indicating they must be used before April 2012. He insisted that police did not use the expired tear gas, and nor could they have belonged to the protesters because everyone had been searched by police.

Democrat Party spokesman Chavanond Intarakomalyasut condemned the government for using the ISA to prevent protesters from joining the rally. He said the government had no right to use such a harsh law against a peaceful protest.

He dismissed as unreasonable the government's use of tear gas on grounds that protesters were armed with guns and knives.

He believed more people would pour into the protest site and expected Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra would declare a state of emergency. He suspected the PM might try to exploit the situation by refusing to attend the upcoming censure debate.

Campaign for Popular Democracy secretary-general Suriyan Thongnu-iad said the police's use of tear gas against protesters was an over-reaction and was a ploy by the government to provoke clashes.

"The police still have their old attitude of seeing protesters as their enemy, and tried to disperse the protest. It was an act of desperation to serve the government,'' he said

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-25

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Same old story blaming each other like 5 yr old kids!

Meanwhile, Pol Maj-General Adul Narongsak, spokesman of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, rejected reports that the police had used expired tear gas. He said police suspected that an ill-intentioned party had hurled the old tear-gas canisters, which were found to have labels indicating they must be used before April 2012. He insisted that police did not use the expired tear gas, and nor could they have belonged to the protesters because everyone had been searched by police

An ill-intentioned party? Like the ill-intentioned 'Black Shirts'?

These people, high ranking police included have the IQ of an amoeba.

So, Boonlert, at the very first sign of trouble ran to the stage like a schoolboy who'd had his ball stolen and declared his willingness to die for the cause. All the while, his former mates sat back with a coffee and a smile and let him sink.

Democracy is alive in LoS (it's a little unhealthy and it's being managed by fools ... but it's there), and the days of the bi-annual coup appear to now be a thing of the past.

The schoolboy's gone home with his tail between his legs in the realisation that he couldn't muster his his friends let alone get anybody else on side other than a few bullies.

Another day, another dawn in Bangkok.

The coup that wasn't.

clap2.gif

This was set up to start a story early in the day. If you cut razor wire and charge a police line what does anyone expect?

If they hadn't cut the wire and continued on to the site there would be absolutely no story.

Would people have preferred that the police baton charged the crowd? They challenged the police front and center to create a confrontation. The tactics separated the crowd and the police with few injuries.

Job well done and a major confrontation and bloodshed avoided.

participating in a plan to remove or kill the PM. Any rational or reasonable person should be able to see whose actions were illegal

Threatening to kill someone is illegal. Did they arrest that person? If not, is it because they didn't say to kill the PM?

Haven't gotten through all the news, but the only thing I saw posted thus far was a tweet quoting a speaker on stage

, but the quote didn't say to kill the PM.

Edited by Buchholz

"General Boonlert Kaewprasit, leader of the anti-government rally, vowed to fight to the death to oust the Yingluck government after police fired a second round of tear gas into the crowd of protesters as they converged on the Royal Plaza."

I am an atheist, but....please, God....make it a quick one!

Edited by DocN

participating in a plan to remove or kill the PM. Any rational or reasonable person should be able to see whose actions were illegal

Threatening to kill someone is illegal. Did they arrest that person? If not, is it because they didn't say to kill the PM?

Haven't gotten through all the news, but the only thing I saw posted thus far was a tweet quoting a speaker on stage

Really. Stating "Yingluck must die" at an event desinged to overthrow government or spark a coup is a death threat. Clearly inciting someone to do the chore. Substance over form.

• Like 1

"General Boonlert Kaewprasit, leader of the anti-government rally, vowed to fight to the death to oust the Yingluck government "

I think he means to say, that he will lead his underlings to their death!

The general is such a copycat of the originator who meant the same as you think.

RT@tulsathit: Thaksin: I'm willing to die to make country and its people happy.

It doesn't look like Thaksin will be coming back to face court:

"General Boonlert Kaewprasit, leader of the anti-government rally, vowed to fight to the death to oust the Yingluck government after police fired a second round of tear gas into the crowd of protesters as they converged on the Royal Plaza."

Now, now DocN control yourself. The day is young. I think this dude has saved God the trouble so to speak. He now has about as much credibility as Police Captain Slime. eeerrrr I mean Police Captain Charlem. This is a terrible keyboard. Sometimes has a mind of its own.

http://www.thaivisa....ost__p__5873838

Really. Stating "Yingluck must die" at an event desinged to overthrow government or spark a coup is a death threat. Clearly inciting someone to do the chore. Substance over form.

As the accompanying Tweet in that link poignantly points out, we all "must die". wink.png

While provocative, it's not the declarative statement necessary to pursue prosecution.

The law looks at things clearly.

• Like 2

I have to say that for once the police seem to have done a good job. I think that PT and Thaksin are doing everything they can to divide the country and ruin the economy, but this protest was not the right way to remove them from power.

Done a good job at what. They never have tried to stop any demonstrations before. Just sat around and watched them no barb wire no tear gas just let them do as they wanted.

Now all of a sudden they change the way they handle demonstrations. they come prepared for conflict. Yes they did a good job at what they started out to do instigate conflict.

They fooled a lot of Thai's because of the low education they have received where they were never learned how to think or reason things out.

So, Boonlert, at the very first sign of trouble ran to the stage like a schoolboy who'd had his ball stolen and declared his willingness to die for the cause. All the while, his former mates sat back with a coffee and a smile and let him sink.

Democracy is alive in LoS (it's a little unhealthy and it's being managed by fools ... but it's there), and the days of the bi-annual coup appear to now be a thing of the past.

The schoolboy's gone home with his tail between his legs in the realisation that he couldn't muster his his friends let alone get anybody else on side other than a few bullies.

Another day, another dawn in Bangkok.

The coup that wasn't.

Now you are sounding like a Thai in the first grade with out his pad to think for him. How can you have democracy in a Government that is a parliamentarian system where 80% of the law makers only represent 47% of the voters?

I would hate to see your definition of a dictatorship.

• Like 1

Trying to eliminate intelligent opposition. Why do you want to do that?

Does any one know how far Thaksins payroll goes?

Does any one know how many foreigners have their head in the trough with the Thai politicians and government workers?

As the accompanying Tweet in that link poignantly points out, we all "must die". wink.png

While provocative, it's not the declarative statement necessary to pursue prosecution.

Oh, are you a lawyer now. I am.

If some said that over a loud speaker at a protest to overthrow US president, they would be spending some time in solitary confinement. Not sure how you can rationalize or defend "Yingluck must die" absent serious denial and deep seeded prejudice.

• Like 2

I have to say that for once the police seem to have done a good job. I think that PT and Thaksin are doing everything they can to divide the country and ruin the economy, but this protest was not the right way to remove them from power.

Done a good job at what. They never have tried to stop any demonstrations before. Just sat around and watched them no barb wire no tear gas just let them do as they wanted.

Now all of a sudden they change the way they handle demonstrations. they come prepared for conflict. Yes they did a good job at what they started out to do instigate conflict.

They fooled a lot of Thai's because of the low education they have received where they were never learned how to think or reason things out.

You obviously missed their pretty ham fisted efforts against the PAD.

Does any one know how many foreigners have their head in the trough with the Thai politicians and government workers?

It's funny in reality. Abhisit really did/does have the intelligence and education to run this country but his party is lame, does not support him and are also subjectively corrupt. He had/has no support. His inactivity and leaving the red riot mob to strengthen until deaths resulted from skirmishes were a direct result of inactivity of police in carrying out his directive to restore order. In response he entered the army barracks and ran the country as best he could from within their protection. He did not have much of a choice when the appointees of law and order sided with mob violence. He has some good ideas and they are not laced in personal corruption. Sure... people along the way including those within his party, will/have or find ways to skim from any project but that is still the same globally. Thailand is no exception. But having a government openly corrupt with a police force as a private armed enforcer seems to me, if there is going to be future conflict it may be army Vs police. The Thai populace will either get involved in all out civil war or sit on the fence and allow it to happen. It must be a tough position for Abhisit to be between the rock and a hard place, having the solutions and intelligence, being selected to run a party and then having no support. The democrats are equally to blame for the present impasse. Perhaps Abhisit should start his own independent party but in a two party system that also is no solution unless he can rally the numbers.

• Like 2

If some said that over a loud speaker at a protest to overthrow US president, they would be spending some time in solitary confinement. Not sure how you can rationalize or defend "Yingluck must die" absent serious denial and deep seeded prejudice.

I would no longer take the US as the ideal country representing 'freedom of speech' anymore. For many reasons (not to be debated here). You must also remember a 'tweet' is a snippet of what was said and in context it may carry different weight and meaning. He did not say, we must kill yingluck. What was said could be taken many ways also depending on the context in which it was said.

So now you're calling for death?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect App

If you're really a lawyer, you must realize it would be a futile prosecution. No arrest is a good first indicator.

Especially based on this teeny tweet. My point is what was said beyond that. .

I'm not rationalizing the singular statement, nor denying it. Just pointing out that without additional information, it's dead in the water at this point.

Calm down, Dolly dear. "Intelligent opposition"? Are you seriously suggesting that this geriatric old buffoon of an ex-General is "intelligent"? He is nothing but a pathetic fosil of a byegone age, a pathetic shambles of a man deserted by his friends and supporters alike.

Then I thought you sad losers had finished with that rather childish suggestion that anyone on TV who dares to disagree with you must be being paid by Thaksin. But then, with your dream of General Looney leading the army to banish the wicked Yingluck from Thailand's fair shores now in ruins, you really do have to clutch at straws.

• Like 1

Now let me get this straight.

You are a lawyer in Thailand trying to apply US laws. Do you also take a pi s on a bonfire to put it out.

Calm down, Dolly dear. "Intelligent opposition"? Are you seriously suggesting that this geriatric old buffoon of an ex-General is "intelligent"? He is nothing but a pathetic fosil of a byegone age, a pathetic shambles of a man deserted by his friends and supporters alike.

Then I thought you sad losers had finished with that rather childish suggestion that anyone on TV who dares to disagree with you must be being paid by Thaksin. But then, with your dream of General Looney leading the army to banish the wicked Yingluck from Thailand's fair shores now in ruins, you really do have to clutch at straws.

Agreed you surely are clinging to straws.

I say intelligent and you come up with a bunch of demeaning names. I ask simple questions with unknown answers and rather than say you don't know as I have implied I don't you make a false assumption.

Make sure it is a long straw so you can breath through it under water.

That was a joke because we both know this gang of wannabes in power will sink to any level to stay there.