Bkk Motorcycle Friends Roads?

cgphuket

Hello, I am moving back to BKK next month and while I have lived there and road my bike there before, this time I will be living West of the river. I know there there are many "no motorbike" roads and hiways and was wondering if anyone knows of a map that shows routes and major roads that motorbikes can use? I still don't know yet about crossing the river as every bridge seems to be motorbiked restricted and the ferry to cross would be a major hassle every dy. Any advice is appreciated.

I try to stay the hell out of Bangkok, but when I do go, it seems that everybody ignores restrictions against motorcycles on flyovers and bridges, if there are any. The one place you cannot go for sure is on toll roads. The only way I am able to avoid accidentally getting myself into one of the tollgates (causing a big traffic jam behind me as the officials back me up and put out through a side gate) is to use a GPS. I set my "avoidances" to avoid toll roads and I never have a problem. I wouldn't even dream of going into BKK without a GPS -- unless it is by 100% public transportation.

Depends exactly where in the "west" and where you need to go "everyday". If you will be commuting then the first few days will be a hassle but after that it will be easy, at the choice of direction will be!

Krueng Thep Bridge on Rama 3 (ratchadapisek road)

Rama V bridge

Rama7 Bridge

Taksin Bridge

Bumiphol bridges (in the early morning!)

If going to Bang Na / South Sukhumvit area use the ferry. Even if you do it everyday.

Thanks, Need to go from Phra padeng to Asoke area. Just rode my bike up from Phuket yesterday and already having a headache avoiding the "no motorbike" roads...

Then you just have to follow Sukhumvit. No restrictions there.

I do the same every day, but in the other direction smile.png

http://goo.gl/maps/MgkbL

This good enough? Not sure where you are starting or ending, but it should give you the right idea. I have rode over that bridge on my motorcycle, and there were some small scooters on there with me, but not many. I was careful to look out for areas where police might have a booth or a "big police helmet" but saw none on either side of the bridge. The general rule is, whether bikes are allowed or not, if the scooters are going on the bridge, then use it. If no scooters on a bridge that says no motorbikes, then avoid it. They know the days and times of days that the police have stops on the bridges. I have never been busted for riding my bike on a restricted bridge.