90 Day Reporting New Rules

I've been in the habit of doing my 90 day reporting by post because the immigration office (Nonthaburi) is such a sod to get to. This has worked for the last few years. I just do what they say on the immigration website, send application by EMS with a stamped addressed envelope for return of the slip.

No more it seems. Even though the immigration website is the same as it ever was my last EMS was returned unopened. The Post Office said nobody at immigration would sign for it. My wife phoned up immigration and they said that now I would have to come in and get updated personally. They said they hadn't got around to updating their website.

Is this just recent or have I been asleep. Does anyone else have experience of this? Does anyone know why the system has changed?

• Like 1

Actually it is a basic provision of the immigration act of 2522 that such reporting can be done by letter so would tend to believe that would mean using mail service - so it is nothing new.

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the

competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as

possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is

an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as

prescribed by the Director General.

In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a

letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the

Director General .

Maybe as Nonthaburi have now moved over to using the barcode sticker on the back of your passport, they want to see you to do this, then after this you might be able to continue doing 90 day reporting by post.

Yes it is a hell of a place to get to, but when you can see Chaengwattana Immigration office and cannot use it, that is worse.

It might be helpful to put immigration act of 2522 here up in Thai or even better as a copy from the official gazette.

This could be copied and attached to the 90 day report.

Perhaps add in Thai

TO the Head of Immigration

Letting Immigration know that one knows the law just might do the trick.

Rather than "shoving it in their face". I think that the best thing is for the OP to do his next report in person and inqurie as to why they will not let him report by mail anymore. It might just be the bar code thing, but I wouldn't attach the "law" to the report form. Remember, this is the office the OP has to use for all future dealings with immigration.

Maybe as Nonthaburi have now moved over to using the barcode sticker on the back of your passport, they want to see you to do this, then after this you might be able to continue doing 90 day reporting by post.

Maybe, but how would they know if the member had or had not done this already since the package was unopened?

Someone reported that Nonthaburi had two drive-in places to do the 90 day report. I saw the lanes but they were still setting up the system. Has it started yet?

I think the main problem with Nonthaburi is the addition of new personnel who are unfamilar with the system. For example, on my last trip, the agent said I needed a copy of my entire passport. I did have a copy and after getting my affairs taken care of, I asked the lady who is one of the top managers in the office if the system had changed and she laughed and said the guy was new and only the first face page is required.

Sadly, even with the barcode system, it is slower than it was a year or so ago. It used to be just five minutes, now you must wait up to 30 minutes or longer. I agree, I see the main office every week but I think I like the Nonthaburi office than the mad house at the main office.

This whole 90 day report nonsense is designed to show us farangs who is in charge, nothing more, nothing less

Just think how short the Immigration lines would be at the airport if every Immigration office in the country gave up one 90 day report clerk position to process inboud or outbound passengers

Maybe, but how would they know if the member had or had not done this already since the package was unopened?

The name of the poster is on the envelope, that is how they knew who it was from. (guessing!!!!)

Before the Udon Thani office opened I reported to Nong Khai. They decided the mailed 90 day report was too hard (not enough tea money) but I still sent them in by EMS and they signed for it so I had my EMS receipts and as far as I was concerned that was my proof of compliance.

Been sending reports to Udon since they opened without problems. Receipt back within a few days every time.

could it be that Nonthaburi is now so overworked (its always packed) and the fact that the post office is a long way off, that they don't have to time post the forms back?

Why would they have to go to the post office. You send them a self addressed stamped envelope. All they have to do is put the completed slip in the envelope, seal it and give it to the postman when he makes his daily deliveries. That's how I mail things where I live in the boonies. They are not sent back EMS so they don't have to go to the post office!

The name of the poster is on the envelope, that is how they knew who it was from. (guessing!!!!)

Would also need the PP number but then again, TiT.

I just received my 12 month visa based on retirement. My first 90 day report is in February and my reporting office is Kap Choeng in Surin province. My question is do I need to take anything with me other that proof of address? I am still a newbie with alot to learn about this visa thing. thanks

You shouldn't need anything other than your passport and proof of address. But it would not hurt to have copies of your TM6 departure card, passport photo page and extension stamp as a just in case measure.

Edited by ubonjoe

It should just be the passport and filled out TM.47 form. If you are already extended from that office do not believe they will require proof of address again but nothing hurt in having it and copies if asked. Being first report you will not have previous TM.47 receipt so may be extra things asked.

It should just be the passport and filled out TM.47 form. If you are already extended from that office do not believe they will require proof of address again but nothing hurt in having it and copies if asked. Being first report you will not have previous TM.47 receipt so may be extra things asked.

I extend in Nonthaburi and take copies of passport pages, departure card and page from yellow book, sometimes I get them back sometimes I don't, depends on the officer who is there at the time.

I extend in Nonthaburi and take copies of passport pages, departure card and page from yellow book, sometimes I get them back sometimes I don't, depends on the officer who is there at the time.

What is yellow book please? First time I have heard that term.

It is the document of non-Thai living in a residence - most people do not bother to obtain as it is not as widely used as the blue book that lists Thai and many office locations are not used to issuing. But it can be helpful when you need to prove your residence location.

If you think it through mailing it is still creates work for the officers but without the satisfaction of making you wait or run out to the photocopier, that was never going to last.

And the copier is another scam. I have a photo copier, and once tried copying what I needed. Rejected, I had to use their copier. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Mosha

Why dont you guys just take a holiday every 90 days? Problem solved.

I can't beleive what you people go through and put up with.

Even if the Mrs was working, you could pop over the border in msny cases about five hours for most of us. Grab a bottle of booze and head back.

Twenty years in Asia, never made an extension, never showed my face in Immigration office other than in Cambodia 2x and on a few days overstay on the border in Thailsnd.

Free yourself from the hassles and headaches

They don't want to do their job, fine - drive their processing #s down and let their superiors wonder.

By putting up with the nonsense, you feed the beast and make it more an more difficult for yourselves.

The entire process for living in this country is broken and you all play into it.

• Like 1

They are now inputing the information into the computer and checking for missed and late reports. I used to mail my reports also, but they are not being accepted. I was told I had to come in person. Things are changing and now more offices are checking the computer before they accept your reports.

Why dont you guys just take a holiday every 90 days? Problem solved.

I can't beleive what you people go through and put up with.

Interesting idea. Let's see what my options are:

1) I take a 2-hour bus ride to BKK, queue for ages, buy a flight ticket, fly off to somewhere I dont want to go to, pay for accommodation then reverse the process to come back a while later, having also paid 1000B for a Thai re-entry permit.

2) I take a minibus (or drive) for 4 hours to Cambodia, pay for a Cambodian visa, then come back the same day having also paid 1000B for a Thai re-entry permit.

3) I walk 400 yards down to Jomtien immigration after lunch once every 90 days, show them my passport and leave 5 minutes later for no cost at all, and all in good time for a nap and a swim before my evening beer.

Decisions, decisions.

• Like 2

Yes it is a hell of a place to get to, but when you can see Chaengwattana Immigration office and cannot use it, that is worse.

Actually only 2 km from my home so i love it there. Did my year visa a few days back done in under an hour. (but i just went there around 8.15 before they opened).

The copying of passport pages is annoying as it did not used to be the case. But then again, if they want it they can get it.

• Like 1