40K In Thailand

matt helm

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without 10 years of experience in "living the Thai life on less than $10 a day", the money will last you about as long as it would last you back home.

Wherever you go, there you be. Including your spending habits...

Wise words, the faster you learn the faster you spend less money getting exactly the same thing. There was a noob on the Samui section quite some months back asking something similar to the OP but his was just for a 6 month stay. The consesus was that yes he could live well on 'x' per month but it would take 6 months to learn how to do so.

I use air-con in 2 rooms and bill is 1600-1900 baht per month.

There is one thing here that makes a difference, if you plan to use air con a lot,

you really should get a place where you pay electric right to the company,

instead of the sneaky landlord that without exception more than double the bill and call it "service" i.e instead of the 3.5 baht per unit they charge 7-15

Te need of air con is also greatly dependent on how you spend your life:

If you have the habit of going outdoors, you will get use to it and never need an air con, if you stay indoors in air con all the time, you get use to that, etc.

There is no such thing as high speed internet here,

but the ADSL is about 700 baht per month.

If you can cook and have a place to do it then 6k a month is more than enough to wat very well though I would have to admit that the initial cost of buying the means to do so would be quite high. Some kind of grill/oven does come in handy, it costs to buy but you reap the rewards back in not so long a time. I rice steamer is a must, you...

I agree. I think my problem was boredom. I went out to eat as something to do, and to mingle with people. Even when I had girlfriends they didn't like to cook.

It's easy to remember how alone I was when I first arrived.

• Like 1

If you can cook and have a place to do it then 6k a month is more than enough to wat very well though I would have to admit that the initial cost of buying the means to do so would be quite high. Some kind of grill/oven does come in handy, it costs to buy but you reap the rewards back in not so long a time. I rice steamer is a must, you...

I agree. I think my problem was boredom. I went out to eat as something to do, and to mingle with people. Even when I had girlfriends they didn't like to cook.

It's easy to remember how alone I was when I first arrived.

I don't think I could say that I have ever felt alone in Thailand but after reading your post perhaps I was on the way to feeling alone, and this was the impetus for finding a place with a kitchen area. Close to all the Thai people I have met know how to cook to a stardard above what I have found in western countries and if asked to show how to make such and such they jump at the chance. Food is a wonderful way to cross cultural and language barriers along with being a very pleasant and ultimately effective way to make friends.

Without 10 years of experience in "living the Thai life on less than $10 a day", the money will last you about as long as it would last you back home.

Wise words, the faster you learn the faster you spend less money getting exactly the same thing. There was a noob on the Samui section quite some months back asking something similar to the OP but his was just for a 6 month stay. The consesus was that yes he could live well on 'x' per month but it would take 6 months to learn how to do so.

In General I would disagree because in most places their is usually some sort of trade off for the savings , not withstanding cupon clipping or price shopping , but in Thailand the prices really can be pretty far apart for identical items , it's really a question of does someone care to do that , I don't and I would think most people would have a hard time going from a casual shopper to a more frugal shopper especially in a place like Thailand where things are cheaper to begin with. Do most people really care if thir flip flops cost 100 or 150 , probabbly not. And is life even more fun looking for the cheapest stuff all the time ? Not for me

out here you can get a fan room for THB 650 a month and you can eat good for 120 a day. Also, there's no place go, so you don't need to worry about entertainment, so I'm going to say 22 years.

Sounds like a great way to spend your time!

• Like 1

In General I would disagree because in most places their is usually some sort of trade off for the savings , not withstanding cupon clipping or price shopping , but in Thailand the prices really can be pretty far apart for identical items , it's really a question of does someone care to do that , I don't and I would think most people would have a hard time going from a casual shopper to a more frugal shopper especially in a place like Thailand where things are cheaper to begin with. Do most people really care if thir flip flops cost 100 or 150 , probabbly not. And is life even more fun looking for the cheapest stuff all the time ? Not for me

Good comment but is it a question of looking or just having the knowledge? I can pick up the phone right now and get a large white bottle of water (you know the ones) for 20 Baht, 15 Baht or 12 Baht.... Which one would I chose given the knowledge?

Do most people really care if thir flip flops cost 100 or 150 , probabbly not. And is life even more fun looking for the cheapest stuff all the time ? Not for me

I couldnt bother with looking for cheaper flip flops,

but i had a blast comparing happy hour prices at various gogo bars,

and getting drunk at the best price/performance gogo,

It truly was a great time of my life.

so i'm guessing some, primarily woman, can get a thrill from shopping cheap flip flops

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 2

It might depend on which person selling the water you like the most , which place delivered it the quickest , it could depend on a lot of factors which is prettty much my point that a life of cost only is no life for me, I don't mind paying more for a number of different reasons. I also don't mind paying less either ! lol It's just not something I care to spend much time worrying about because I have better things to do than worry if I pay 12 or 20 bht for my water. I could walk maybe 15 steps more and save about 15 or so bht on my pack of cigs and 2 bottles of beer but I don't bother because I don't need 15 bht that bad.

I'm not saying it's bad to save money because it's not , i'm just saying I prefer to spend my money in a way that makes my life easier rather than spend it some other way. If I wan't a cup of cofee and starbucks is close by fine if some other place is theire fine but i'm not going out of my way to find a bottle of water or much of anything else just to save a little money ..... I make money specificly to aviod the need for that.

Edited by MrRealDeal

I have a nice place, but live out in the county and my:

Rent is: 19,500 ($630)

Electric is: 6,300 ($200)

Television is: 3,200 ($100)

Internet is: 1,200 ($38)

Car expenses are: 13,742 ($443) (I drive a bit)

Cost of car is: 8,944 ($288) (Based on buying a new pick-up (992K) and selling it for 500K after three years)

So that’s 52K ($1,705) a month and does not include food, entertainment, air travel, hotels, visas, heath care etc…..

I think it entirely possible to live on $1,000 a month, but it’s not going to be all that.

• Like 1

Cost of car is: 8,944 ($288) (Based on buying a new pick-up (992K) and selling it for 500K after three years)

So that’s 52K ($1,705) a month and does not include food, entertainment, air travel, hotels, visas, heath care etc…..

I think it entirely possible to live on $1,000 a month, but it’s not going to be all that.

The moral of that story is to own your house and car !

The Dude came to BKK 10 years ago and can say that the 1st years are the most expensive. The Dude is a cheap charlie extraordinaire and has been called a miser by those who know him. Nevertheless The Dude easily spent 40K USD his 1st year in BKK with nothing to show for it after that year other than an 18 y/o hot gf. 40K USD is afterall only 109/day. Back then the exchange rate was 42/a buck and hotels were 1/3 the price of now not even accounting for the exchange. After a year The Dude did get an Apt but cost cutting measures like this go slow even for this miser. The condo was actually 50% more than The Dude's 1st year hotel room soo costs increased. Between simple entertainment, room, food and visa runs The Dude spent 40K his 1st year in central BKK being a miser. That same 40K today buys 1/3 of what it did then even ignoring unfavorable exchange. The Dude will allow other posters to comment on cheapo places to live as I am only talking about central BKK where most newcomers get started.

I should clarify. My hotel has quadrupled from 650/night to 2600 plus you tack on a 30% decline in exchange rate. scary stuff. Food, pretty much everything is double, cigs/beer same plus dollar devaluation. most other things doubled in the area so if you add the exchange burn you have a major price increase that approaches triple across the board. Rents are about double taking exchange into account so there's your best deal. Utilities not up so much, transport double with exchange. Not pretty and not getting better.

• Like 1

how do you manage to get over 6000 baht in bills?blink.png 50% depreciate value over 3 years is very unlikely over here

It might depend on which person selling the water you like the most , which place delivered it the quickest , it could depend on a lot of factors which is prettty much my point that a life of cost only is no life for me, I don't mind paying more for a number of different reasons. I also don't mind paying less either ! lol It's just not something I care to spend much time worrying about because I have better things to do than worry if I pay 12 or 20 bht for my water. I could walk maybe 15 steps more and save about 15 or so bht on my pack of cigs and 2 bottles of beer but I don't bother because I don't need 15 bht that bad.

I'm not saying it's bad to save money because it's not , i'm just saying I prefer to spend my money in a way that makes my life easier rather than spend it some other way. If I wan't a cup of cofee and starbucks is close by fine if some other place is theire fine but i'm not going out of my way to find a bottle of water or much of anything else just to save a little money ..... I make money specificly to aviod the need for that.

To a large extent I think we are very much the same. Can't be bothered if the price is higher to a large extent but with regard to water it would be insane to pay more for no reason. It's the same water and comes from the same source so only urgency would matter but urgency is never an issue. 15 minutes, tomorrow or next week is meaningless so why pay more?

The moral of that story is to own your house and car !

To own a house and car in Thailand, you need to spend the full amount upfront, so why is that better then paying for it monthly?

I should clarify. My hotel has quadrupled from 650/night to 2600 plus you tack on a 30% decline in exchange rate. scary stuff. Food, pretty much everything is double, cigs/beer same plus dollar devaluation. most other things doubled in the area so if you add the exchange burn you have a major price increase that approaches triple across the board. Rents are about double taking exchange into account so there's your best deal. Utilities not up so much, transport double with exchange. Not pretty and not getting better.

To what year are you comparing?

I've only been here for two years, so haven't noticed any price increases - same rent, BTS is the same, internet is the same, etc

• Like 1