Roadside Fried-Banana Vendors Blamed For Traffic Jams; Snack Buyer's Will Be Fined Bt500

webfact

STREET FOOD

Buying treats may become expensive

The Nation

30195100-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- To discourage people from patronising roadside fried-banana vendors, whose presence is being blamed for traffic jams, Nanglueng Police Station said those caught buying the snacks will be fined Bt500 from today.

This decision was made at a recent meeting of district officials, police and the owners of the six licensed fried-banana stalls in the area. People are urged to take pictures of those seen illicitly buying or selling the snacks and mail it to [email protected] or Pom Prap District Office's Facebook page. The pictures will be used as evidence so that the offenders can be slapped with a fine.

Owners of licensed stalls must submit a list of authorised vendors, complete with photographs, to the district office.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 27

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let the police do their job if it is illegal to sell by the roadside.

Why don't they clear the pavements on Sukhumvit? You can't walk more than 6' without having to wait for someone coming the other way.

Or for a monthly contribution business as usual.

Street vending is illegal in Bangkok. All street vendors pay a "license fee" to bypass this law. This "crackdown" simply indicates a more substantial contribution was made.

Now, this area will be held up from violators negotiating their fines. That should create more congestion than banana vending. But, at least they found a creative, new, revenue stream!

• Like 1

Or for a monthly contribution business as usual. Why don't they clear the pavements on Sukhumvit? You can't walk more than 6' without having to wait for someone coming the other way.

But that's half the fun of living in Bangkok. Why come to a crazy city if you don't like crazy cities. Go live somewhere normal where the streets are clear.

• Like 2

That area has horrible traffic jams, but banana vendors aren't the cause of it. They are selling there because the traffic is gridlocked during the day.

The 500 baht fine for people buying bananas is interesting. That area is on the way from Khao San Road to the city center, so lots of tourists who won't know about the 500 baht fine.

Tourists don't tend to drive cars when on holiday, so it won't affect them. And ignorance of the law is no defence.

That area has horrible traffic jams, but banana vendors aren't the cause of it. They are selling there because the traffic is gridlocked during the day.

The 500 baht fine for people buying bananas is interesting. That area is on the way from Khao San Road to the city center, so lots of tourists who won't know about the 500 baht fine.

Exactly. People are not stopping their cars to buy bananas, they are buying bananas because the traffic has stopped.

But when the traffic starts moving, some people are still buying bananas and cause further hold-ups. It happens with other sellers, and not just banana sellers. But the solution is to ban the sellers not fine the drivers.

Or for a monthly contribution business as usual. Why don't they clear the pavements on Sukhumvit? You can't walk more than 6' without having to wait for someone coming the other way.

But that's half the fun of living in Bangkok. Why come to a crazy city if you don't like crazy cities. Go live somewhere normal where the streets are clear.

I do, I only visit that cesspit when I need to go to the embassy

• Like 1

I do, I only visit that cesspit when I need to go to the embassy

You're not the only one! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Bad idea, people who are going around carrying camera,s might be suspected of snitching.

Bad idea, people who are going around carrying camera,s might be suspected of snitching.

Police do their job ????????/...... that will be the day.....

So lets put this into perspective.

If I am on the road and I see someone buying or selling some fried bananas, and decide to take a photo of the offender, then send the photo into the police and they will immediately conduct a nationwide hunt for these master criminals?

Why not just ban the roadside vendors in the first place and save all the bother? I mean, it can’t be too difficult to find these vendors, just give them a caution and tell them to move on.

Keep logic out of it tongue.png

You would have thought that with a police box on every major intersection, it would be easy to see a shop !!!

I thought these Police Monkeys would have like bananas?

Edited by jcw

So lets put this into perspective.

If I am on the road and I see someone buying or selling some fried bananas, and decide to take a photo of the offender, then send the photo into the police and they will immediately conduct a nationwide hunt for these master criminals?

Why not just ban the roadside vendors in the first place and save all the bother? I mean, it can’t be too difficult to find these vendors, just give them a caution and tell them to move on.

Keep logic out of it tongue.png

You would have thought that with a police box on every major intersection, it would be easy to see a shop !!!

I thought these Police Monkeys would have like bananas?

Especially the ones with a lucky red banknote stuffed inside the bag.