Tip For The Transfer Driver, How Much

bolovan

I will arrive in this weekend in Bangkok. The transfer from airport to the hotel is already paid through my travel agent, but I guess it’s normal to give some tip to the driver. How much is an acceptable tip for the driver in USD $?

Thank you

I guess if you are going to a 5-star hotel, it's a beautiful Merc Limo and he takes your bags inside then at least 100Baht ... probably 5 dollars then. There again if we get a taxi back from the airport then my wife might give the guy an extra 20Baht. But if she finds out that he supports the government she wouldn't bother.

Edited by JAS21

The tipping situation in Bangkok is a wildcard, in many instances a very minimal tip or no tip is fine. However, if you are staying in a 5 star Western branded hotel then a tip is common. Depending on your satisfaction with the driver's service anything from 40-100Baht would be fine. ($2.00 to $4.00 if you give them USD as they will have to exchage it)

To me as with any gratuity it's up to you and how good you felt you were looked after. I think if he was a good, courteous driver then100 baht is fine. As a limo driver he will probably be on a wage, so no matter how much your travel agent paid for the car he is on flat rate so tips are normally very welcome.

We are in Thailand, Thai industry believes that 250thb is a good amount of money to pay someone for a days work.

Thais probably would not tip at all, I would say normal tip 20 thb good tip 50 thb, ..... 100thb is getting towards what many people make for half a days work, do you want to change the structure of Thailand??? and Thai peoples thinking ?

I recently took a cab from airport to Nonthaburi, Friday night bumber to Bumber most of the way, took a long time the meter fare was smething like 320thb I gave the guy 350thb and he seemed genuinely appreciative,, I felt that was a good transaction on all levels.

In lower key economies such as Thailand I get the impression that big tipping is not taken in the spirit it is given (what is??) they just think You are an idiot.

Edited by fisherd3