Thai Old Planes

songhklasid

My trip back to aus last month was with thai, but the 747-400 aircraft allocated didn't have individual screens just the one big screen in the front of cabin, something common in the 70's, 80's. I didn't think they still had planes like that, maybe thai should upgrade, They use to use 777's on the SYD-BKK run, but now we got these aging jumbo's

regards songhklasid.wai.gifwai.gifwai.gif

I flew to Singapore recently and the schedule showed it to be a 747 so I was not looking forward to the trip knowing how old these planes are.

However, in business class it had been totally updated with very comfortable shell seats and large touch screen personal video and audio. I think Thai are updating, it takes a long time to work through the fleet.

Personally, I think some of the older airbus 300 are more uncomfortable and less well equipped.

Edited by roiethome

Watching a fair bit of air crash investigation, because of interest you can learn a lot, apparently the boeing 747, yes the old full aluminium jumbo was built very sturdy, with a lot of good features some of the airbuses modified, simplified, these rather on a cost basis than retaining 2 system reliability, basically they were built to last.

regards songhklasidclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Watching a fair bit of air crash investigation, because of interest you can learn a lot, apparently the boeing 747, yes the old full aluminium jumbo was built very sturdy, with a lot of good features some of the airbuses modified, simplified, these rather on a cost basis than retaining 2 system reliability, basically they were built to last.

If you'd like to see a bit about aeroplanes and what airlines do every 5-6 years here is a video about a complete overhaul - D check, this is on top of everything else they do to maintain an aircraft so yes they are built to last the issue with older aircraft is fuel consumption.

• Like 1

"Air Crash Investigation" and similar shows are the scariest shows on TV as they consistently show how human stupidity can trump technology time and time again. The China Airlines 747-200 that I flew from Taipei to HK in 2002 disintregrated at 20K feet 2 days later. 15 years earlier, the tail section had scrapped the runway on a landing and the resulting gouges in the skin had been improperly patched and never entered into the maintenance logs, thus never inspected over the following years of use. The patch finally let go 20 minutes after takeoff as the aircraft pressureized. I was 4 cycles from oblivion; lucky me.

Several weeks ago, I saw one of these shows profiling the crash in Russia last year of the plane carrying the Locomotive Hockey team killing all but 4 on board. It never gained enough speed on it's takeoff roll and got off the ground way to late, hitting a antenna tower past the runway The aircraft was a varient of the model the pilots were more used to flying. One of the small differences was a different linkage of the footbrake which the pilots were used to casually resting their feet on.

During the roll, cockpit voice recordings showed they couldn't figure out why they weren't gaining speed. When they got to the critical "Go-No Go" point, they kept going. When the pilot hauled back on the yoke, they lost even more speed...by the time they got airborne, it was too late. Why no speed?? Because the pilot was unknowingly pushing on the footbrake the whole time; even more so when he hauled back on the yoke. 100+ dead.

As I said, a very scary show for those of us who fly a lot.

• 3 weeks later...

Most airlines, save the middle eastern carriers and new entrants, have mixed fleets so it can be a challenge to maintain consistency of product even on the same city-pairs, with the same aircraft model owing to aircraft optimization. And it can also take a few years to re-fit a fleet with new seating/IFE. THis is not meant as an excuse but rather an explanation of the challenges.

That said, it is quite easy to get a feel for airline/aircraft amenities given the many, many websites/forums with reviews, seatmaps, menus, etc., so consumers can make relatively informed decisions balancing their needs, requirements, budget,schedule, etc.

When in doubt I always recommend bringing your entertainment with you, be it audio, video, gaming, printed. There are so many cost-effective options, including tablets, available that there is little excuse for relying on the carrier to meet your entertainment requirements. I think consumers have forced carriers to focus on the transportation business - effective, on-time, safe, inexpensive, scheduled - rather than the entertainment/cuisine business?

The last time I flew BKK LHR, on one of the old planes biz class was totally upgraded with interactive entertainment. I would however, never fly that route with Thai it was a business trip as economy is awful.

Travelled TG years ago on old 747 Lhr -BKK return, good service but as said no avod and v boring if cant sleep. Changed to Eva as prices were keener also.

Found the Eva planes were quite smelly but endured it. Then started using Etihad and Qatar. Good but with a stop.

Now returned to TG. From Lhr with avod, good service and I've found not too much more that Eva and cheaper than BA which I avoid as crew have their heads stuck up their A@""es.

If I flew TG from say BKK to a destination around 2/3 hrs away I'd not be bothered if no avod.

If long haul, I would be.

TG great service and my no 1 choice again, they also respect kids which is good as I have one!