Give Us Answers, Abhisit Tells Yingluck

webfact

NO-CONFIDENCE DEBATE

Give us answers, Abhisit tells PM

Kornchanok Raksaseri

The Nation

30195168-01_big.jpg

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra raises her hand in the morning session of the debate yesterday to tell the House Speaker she wants to answer questions and allegations by the Opposition Democrats.

Yingluck: I will definitely clarify issues, but allow people involved to also reply

BANGKOK: -- Always pointing out that Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra had rarely answered MPs' questions in Parliament, the opposition on the third and final day of the censure debate yesterday tried to pressure the premier to answer its questions by herself.

Yingluck, who attended all the parliamentary meetings in the past three days, and opposition and Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva took turns to speak on the issue yesterday morning.

Towards the opposition's objection for her having left it to ministers to clarify allegations, Yingluck promised she would finally clarify the issues by herself.

"About the policies, I am ready to clarify, I will definitely clarify. But may the people involved - [those ] we assigned [for policy implementation] in the process and there are sub-committees - be in charge [of replying]?

"There were issues debated yesterday and involved people who were damaged. Please let them clarify as they were accused on many issues, such as lowering agricultural production or implementing [their sales] in a way that caused corruption. MPs, please let the working people clarify [their problems] so you can consider [any] problems [arising] from my policies. Then finally I will come to clarify them," she said.

Abhisit said the chairman of the meeting could decide who was damaged in the scrutiny process and deserved a chance to speak. Meanwhile, it should be only Yingluck who should answer the questions because the Opposition were asking about policies, not the details of implementation.

"For questions on policies, I'd like to tell the prime minister that there's no need for any minister to clarify what we don't ask," he said.

"On rice-related issues, what I doubt is the design of the policy. The prime minister herself said she was in charge. Yesterday she listened to my debate and got up to answer. I wonder if she had carefully considered what I said? For instance, she said this policy gave money to farmers. She said, 'give it to them, please'.

"We said we didn't oppose this policy if it gave money to farmers. But the figures from the government showed that each year Bt240 billion [would be raised from rice exports]. [but] the government's figures showed that out of this Bt240 billion, only about Bt1 billion reached farmers. Does the premier, as head of the government, think why we should allow other people to get the Bt1 billion? The finance minister couldn't answer this, the commerce minister couldn't answer it, the agriculture minister couldn't answer this - because it's for the PM to decide why this policy should carry on," Abhisit said.

"About rubber, I asked why the Cabinet had approved Bt15 billion for the project but rubber prices had not risen and the prime minister had still approved more budget for the implementation with the same methods.

"I don't mind if it's agreed that answering is according to responsibility. If it's the PM's part, the PM answers. If it's a minister who's involved, the minister answers. But please don't waste Parliament's time by letting a minister answer what was not asked," Abhisit said.

Yingluck stood up and replied: "To clarify the policies, we emphasise that all spending of the budget must reach farmers directly. For income, we have government agencies in charge of income. The policies are clear," she said, adding that she might give some not-too-accurate information on some issues and asked for the chance to involve others to explain the facts.

Yingluck said she had also set up a committee to prevent corruption, and asked the Opposition to share information if it found any irregularities.

Yingluck took up the microphone again in the evening following Democrat female MPs' criticism about her leadership.

However, she said only briefly that achievements would be the prove of her leadership and it took time and for the people to judge.

She continued with introduction that she would let her ministers clarify the censure further.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11- 28

Where are the PT red shirt lovers, Why is it they disappear every time the truth is out for all to see.

Perhaps if the censure was not about their heroes they would be here with there usual rhetoric about Abhist and the Army.

We all know that she could have answered every question by her self if she had a phone in her ear connected to her Brother in Dubai. The answers would have been nonsense but it would not matter as no one expects any change to come about as the result of showing the phoneyness of this government in a more open light.

As a poster on another thread pointed out they have an answer for every thing.

We have the power we were elected. Seems to justify all things to them.

• Like 2

But the figures from the government showed that each year Bt240 billion [would be raised from rice exports]. [but] the government's figures showed that out of this Bt240 billion, only about Bt1 billion reached farmers. Does the premier, as head of the government, think why we should allow other people to get the Bt1 billion?

can someone clarify this ?Why people speak half sentences? Do they mean 240 Billion should go to farmers and only 1 Bilion does?

Is the fraude that big?

Its like having a gibbering schoolgirl in charge of the mafia and everyone is creaming off the top.

Democracy my colon

and they don't even make a pretense of her knowing anything about what's going on in her gov't. by simply giving her crib notes!

"Yingluck, who attended all the parliamentary meetings in the past three days,"

That's got to be a first.

Yea, but she only spent a couple of hours each day in parliament. The rest of the time she was out. I guess too much for her.

Ducking and weaving. She has not got the answers because the policies are the brainchild of the puppet master so she has no clue on how, what, where, when or why 'her' policies will work. She has to call on her 'ministers' as they have more experience in everything, for more 'clarification', meaning she should not be in the seat. No experience, no managerial skills, and a mouth piece figurehead in stature only. The fish stinks from the head down and this one is on the nose. And let's not forget this whole 'debate' is a complete farce with zero changes in the outcome.

Hey, at least she showed up for the meeting. That's more than she has done in the past.

still dont like her and her brother how can government get away with this is a so called democracy

Why should the government have a problem with it?

As far as they're concerned, it's a great system. Created by the best minds in Thailand, and voted on by the people.

It's a joke system, but it's what they have.

• Like 1

From the OP:

"Yingluck: I will definitely clarify issues, but allow people involved to also reply"

"Yingluck promised she would finally clarify the issues by herself."

"Then finally I will come to clarify them," she said."

"The policies are clear," she said, adding that she might give some not-too-accurate information on some issues and asked for the chance to involve others to explain the facts."

"she said only briefly that achievements would be the prove of her leadership and it took time and for the people to judge."

"She continued with introduction that she would let her ministers clarify the censure further."

Still being in love with our ever sweet smiling PM Yingluck I can only conclude that theNation was out to get her (again). I mean she answered questions, she spoke, she needs a bit more than just one just year, give her a break. You must be a real moron if you still don't get the message. Don't blame us, we just explained. It's your fault, obviously.

Now let's have the vote against the censure motion and get on with what we are doing best. My brother is getting impatient rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

The chap in the middle sitting next to the very confident looking PM is thinking, "Oh No, Don't answer love"

30195168-01_big.jpg

I don't think so...Chalerm isn't the reborn Einstein as well and it really doesn't matter how much they discredit themself. They have the majority in parliament and the money to buy the next vote. So really it doesn't matter.

Actually only Abhisit is making an idiot out of himself pretending that this is a working parliament and that it is has any relevance.

Still waiting for the Thaksin supporters take on this article. I imagine that for them it can't disappear quick enough down the Thai Visa 'charts'. I shall enjoy referring them to this example of YL as she shows her true incompetence.

Thailands choice of PM is at best inappropriate, and after reading this article there's really no argument against that, IMO :)