Postal 90 Day Reporting In Cm

gennisis

I was at Immigration today for my annual extension.

Having seen a few posts about postal reporting for the 90 day requirement being stopped,I enquired from 2 officers and they said that the postal applications were OK...at least for the moment in Chiang Mai.

Since it was a year ago since my last visit I noticed all the extra signs and the entry being moved to the side.There were hundreds of Burmese over to the left hand side buildings,made me wonder if there were any left in Burma.

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See the pinned topic at the top of this page:

http://www.thaivisa....ort-procedures/

for how to do the postal method 90 day address reporting.

Forms are linked for download on this thread.

Otherwise, you will have to go to CM Imm to get the blank TM47 forms.

EDIT: This is for Chiang Mai residents only.

Edited by mcgriffith

I would like to reply on this topic , because I have a somewhat unconvenient message to many .

Personally I always go by myself , but my mother uses the mail in . She send her usual copies and everything a couple of days ago , but received a call from a immigration officer .

Unusual the least , she didn't understand what he meant , but the message ' you come tomorrow to immigration office ' .

Well she gave me his number , trying to get an answer of whats going on , he didn't gave me a chance to ask a question , but systematically did his say about the 90 day report ,to come

to the office in person...even I myself was not doing anything with mail in , my guess was that the officer was assigned to call everyone on the day who they received the mail-in 90 day report from .

So I decided to go the next day to get a better answer , yesterday , the usual friendly officer at the desk of the 90 days report , listened for what I had to say , my Thai is well spoken so this helps ,

He told me that from now on they will do no more mail-ins , not sure indefinitely , because of many problems they encounter with the mail delivery EMS , he said its better to come personal or someone else doing it for you .

Seems they are fed up with the mail losses and the problems it causes , my guess is I think its to much workload for them , they have hardly time for anything these days .

Its serious , they won't call you for nothing .

He gave me my moms slip report , he looked in a box full of mail ins , checking and mumbling if hers came in , yes it did ,and told me again to do it by person next time .

So I don't know what the other poster was talking about , the officers at the main desk give contradicting information for what I have overheared many times , will not surprise me

if they did it again .

Anyway would be interesting to see if other members will have the same experience , seems recent .

I would like to reply on this topic , because I have a somewhat unconvenient message to many .

Personally I always go by myself , but my mother uses the mail in . She send her usual copies and everything a couple of days ago , but received a call from a immigration officer .

Unusual the least , she didn't understand what he meant , but the message ' you come tomorrow to immigration office ' .

Well she gave me his number , trying to get an answer of whats going on , he didn't gave me a chance to ask a question , but systematically did his say about the 90 day report ,to come

to the office in person...even I myself was not doing anything with mail in , my guess was that the officer was assigned to call everyone on the day who they received the mail-in 90 day report from .

So I decided to go the next day to get a better answer , yesterday , the usual friendly officer at the desk of the 90 days report , listened for what I had to say , my Thai is well spoken so this helps ,

He told me that from now on they will do no more mail-ins , not sure indefinitely , because of many problems they encounter with the mail delivery EMS , he said its better to come personal or someone else doing it for you .

Seems they are fed up with the mail losses and the problems it causes , my guess is I think its to much workload for them , they have hardly time for anything these days .

Its serious , they won't call you for nothing .

He gave me my moms slip report , he looked in a box full of mail ins , checking and mumbling if hers came in , yes it did ,and told me again to do it by person next time .

So I don't know what the other poster was talking about , the officers at the main desk give contradicting information for what I have overheared many times , will not surprise me

if they did it again .

Anyway would be interesting to see if other members will have the same experience , seems recent .

It will be interesting. My guess is that this will be very short-lived, and the policy change he told you about may have been over as soon as the words were out of his mouth. The next day is a new day. Start over.

Just a guess.

• Like 2

tijnebijn,

As has been discussed many times before, technically the mail in option is for people who live outside Muang, or have some other compelling reason to report by mail (infirm, sick, etc.).

My guess is that Mom forgot to dot all the i's and cross all the t's...in other words she missed one tiny little thing on her mail in. Perhaps like signing it, or adding the date of signing, or submitted a copy of a previous extension, not the current one, etc. But perhaps I am wrong, and she completed everything perfectly.

There is no need to send EMS. I send it simple registered mail, with a return envelope w/ a 5 B stamp.

Just got my last one back about 2 weeks ago.

I've been doing this for years as others here have, so my advice is you (or Mom) do what you feel comfortable with.

I'll carry on until I am advised otherwise.

As I said before, I had serious misgivings about propagating this mail-in info. If it becomes too troublesome, they might eliminate it, which would be a terrible shame, but not the end of the world for me, as I am not so old or decrepit that I cannot go down to Imm and get it handled.

wink.png

Mcgriffith , guess you have to learn to read , or perhaps my English is not as good , but I wrote that the officer gave me the slip of my mom signed and well (I did not take her paperwork with me or her password), so everything was perfect ,my mom does mail ins over 4 years ,so I know all the ins and outs , my mom lives in Chiangdao , she made a mistake in the past once , they post all of the paperwork back to you and tell you missed something , send it back again and all was good .This time ' read my words ' , they called , they wanted everyone who uses mail to tell you personal they don't feel like its sustainable .But I'm not sure if they want to warn us or if they want an imminent stop , still not get this . But the happening is not usual .My mom uses registered mail , but the officer was talking about it , not me .Forgive me MCGriffith , but read , as you talk about it would be a shame if , but the ' if ' already happened . I'm a long time resident of Chiangmai and no newbie .

So maybe you will get a call next time , or maybe not if someone changed their mind again , I'm waiting for confirmations because of the standard procedure I received on the call .

Edited by tijnebijn

Thanks for the clarification, tijnebijn.

I guess I'll find out late Feb 2013 if the mail in still works for me.

I would think that your Mom, who lives in Chiang Dao, and is elderly...would be a prime candidate for the mail in option.

Very sorry to hear about this problem.

• Like 1

Plan on going in next Monday. Will do what ever I have to do worst ever was sat and waited one and a half hours. When I get up to the counter I will just ask them what the policy is. Would not surprise me either way. Remember the rumor that all Canadians Americans and Australians had to bring proof of income for their one year renewal, There was all kinds of testimony to show it was true. A week later no one said as thing.

Heck they might even call me and tell me I have to come in and I have never mailed one in yet.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Maybe I have not been here as long as many of you but I have learned that your experience and mine can quite often be different.

mcgriffith you say and I copy

"I am not so old or decrepit"

Nether am I. I am only 70cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Can be very true our experiences can be often very different , there is no any problem with that .I'm not sending any rumour into the panick Galaxy , I'm just reporting what happened , which is quite perculiar , never heared anything similar ,and maybe can help other members understand if the same happens to them .Still no any reports of others so possible their idea is on the highway again , hope so cause its a good sevice for many .On the other hand its Loy Kratong , so many are busy with other things , including Immigration , I think we will hear some in the coming week .

Edited by tijnebijn

My next check in date is Dec 10 and I will do as usual....snapback.pngmcgriffith style on Monday, which will give them plenty of time to inform me if there are any problems.

The only time that I have had a problem was once, I sent in all the proper forms and forgot to sign the copies and they returned the paperwork and I re sent it off to them with return stamped envelope and it took more than a month for the approval to get from CM to Doi Saket.

I'll report my next experience when it is in hand.

I really do appreciate the mail in service as a trip to immigration is a day wasted in my already short life.

tijnebijn,

As has been discussed many times before, technically the mail in option is for people who live outside Muang, or have some other compelling reason to report by mail (infirm, sick, etc.).

My guess is that Mom forgot to dot all the i's and cross all the t's...in other words she missed one tiny little thing on her mail in. Perhaps like signing it, or adding the date of signing, or submitted a copy of a previous extension, not the current one, etc. But perhaps I am wrong, and she completed everything perfectly.

There is no need to send EMS. I send it simple registered mail, with a return envelope w/ a 5 B stamp.

I've been doing this for years as others here have, so my advice is you (or Mom) do what you feel comfortable with.

As I said before, I had serious misgivings about propagating this mail-in info. If it becomes too troublesome, they might eliminate it, which would be a terrible shame, but not the end of the world for me, as I am not so old or decrepit that I cannot go down to Imm and get it handled.

wink.png

Be careful mcgriffith -- better use a 20 Baht stamp on the return envelope with a registered sticker on it. Mine was lost in the mail one time and I had to return 3 times! to sort it out. About 6 hours of lost time. They were not as friendly as they usually are there when this came up.The guy asked me repeatedly why I did not register the return envelope. Learned my lesson. If you go to the P.O. they will give you a sheet of the registered stickers. Record the number before you place it in the envelope.

Confirmed.........THE 90 DAY MAIL IN OPTION IS HISTORY!!

Yesterday I got a call from a Thai official who's only English was 'you come Chiang Mai immigration tomorrow' and sure enough after we fought the crowds and got up to the 90 day desk and he fished my paperwork out of a bag of maybe 20 other offenders and told my wife that the woman who did the 90 day mail in processing quit out of frustration.

BTW.....it was a total madhouse with maybe 1,000 mostly Burmese crowded into the small hot room and all parking was full.....even the place next door. Get it together guys!!!

and tywas.....better update your pinned topic

Edited by jaideeguy

I might have to sign up with Assist Thai Visa if the mail-in option is off the table, but I wonder how long that will last. Having to go 6 times a year between extending the visa and the 90 day reports is most annoying. Today the whole place was packed and it took 2 hours to do the 90 day report.

Edited by Ulysses G.

This immigration stuff is outrageous and should not be tolerated, why the hell should the Thai government think that they can take 15 to 20 hours a year of our time to satisfy their requirements. As UG said, it is most annoying. I have had it and am going back to my home country where the government only takes about 25% of my time to satisfy their requirements ................... oops

• Like 1

I might have to sign up with Assist Thai Visa if the mail-in option is off the table, but I wonder how long that will last. Having to go 6 times a year between extending the visa and the 90 day reports is most annoying. Today the whole place was packed and it took 2 hours to do the 90 day report.

Maybe the "reporting assist industry" has made a deal with Imm. to increase business?

tijnebijn,

wink.png

Where is the reference to your belief that mail in should only be for the sick etc. Both the immigration website and the police order clearly give it as an equal option.

• Like 1

Where is the reference to your belief that mail in should only be for the sick etc. Both the immigration website and the police order clearly give it as an equal option.

harrry, it is all moot now, isn't it?

For the record, I was told that it was for people who live outside Muang in Chiang Mai province, or have other compelling reasons to use mail.

As far as the Chiang Mai Immigration office is concerned, it never was given an equal status. Special circumstances only.

I was told this in person on more than one occasion by different officers in the Chiang Mai Immigration office. Not just the 90 day reporting officers- also by Khun Atitaya who handled my yearly retirement extension the last 3 years. She told me in no uncertain terms exactly what I stated above.

Different Immigration offices have different policies and procedures, as you well know.

You live in Chiang Rai province. No doubt they have a different way of doing things there.

• Like 1