Can We Literally Throw Away Unwanted Thoughts?

Jose

"Of course, even if you throw the thoughts in a gar­bage can or put them in the re­cy­cle bin on the com­put­er, they are not really gone — you can re­gen­er­ate them."

This is pretty much in agreement with Buddhist psychology. Writing down and throwing away thoughts might reduce their power temporarily but it doesn't address the basic problem of why those negative thoughts arise in the first place.

• Like 2

When i went through a meditation phase, when a thought popped in my head while meditating i would imagine putting it in a box, tieing the box, attaching a ballon and letting it float away- the seconds thinking through that would help to erase the thought- a good technique for clearing the mind while meditating.

No, you can't just throw away thoughts to the extent necessary as a Buddhist practicioner. If it were so simple and possible, all Buddhist masters would teach this, including the Buddha...but that's not the case.

My guess is that the research is very superficial to the extent that, okay, the subjects' thoughts went away temporarily but what about the next day, week, year, etc.? Nor does the research indicate attempts to use the same technique for thoughts about more substantive issues such as love, family, job, self-imagine, world view, money, etc.

• Like 1

Thinking is not something we do, but rather something that happens to us. We don't really know where thoughts come from or where they go. For that reason it seems not possible to control the process of thinking with thinking. As has been said earlier, the coming and going of thoughts can be observed, and during meditation, the whole process will quiet down. Actively trying to "throw away" certain thoughts must therefore be counterproductive.

On a more scientific note. Since we consist of atoms with plenty of empty space around them, where would there be a place we could throw our unwanted thoughts?

Edited by shimizu
  • Like 2

When using this technique one doesn't actually throw away their thoughts or problems.

The technique is symbolic and works on the principal of the "power of suggestion".

Just as a placebo may produce psychological benefit through the power of belief, this technique may be very effective to many.

Autosuggestion? Does that mean we have two minds? One that produces annoying thoughts, and one that controls them by autosuggestion? Or has the one mind split into two minds, a producer of thoughts and a controller? If we have only one mind, autosuggestion to control ones thinking seems not really possible, as the very same mind would have to do both.

Edited by shimizu
  • Like 1

Autosuggestion? Does that mean we have two minds? One that produces annoying thoughts, and one that controls them by autosuggestion? Or has the one mind split into two minds, a producer of thoughts and a controller? If we have only one mind, autosuggestion to control ones thinking seems not really possible, as the very same mind would have to do both.

It is not a case of 'multiple minds'. Rather, it is that the mind manifests in various ways: thoughts, emotions, dreams, sensations, etc., so it's not a duplicity.

The idea of throwing away unwanted thoughts has a deep judgemental aspect to it which renders it unhelpful. Who is to say which thoughts should be unwanted and wanted? We, the practicioner, the Buddha, your mother, father, teacher, the guy on tv, etc? If you engage in such a judging and selection process, you are quite far from meditation and moving further away with each attempt to categorize thoughts.

• Like 2

wai.gif Yes you can do that,

It isn't just something that happens, it's something you have to learn how to do, however.

Another thing you can do is temporarily "set aside" an unwanted thought....I'll deal with that thought later,

Put it back in storage until later in a sense.

Of course, again, this is something you have to learn to do by practice....it's not an automatic thing,

With beginners to meditation often the "monkey mind" brings up unwanted random thoughts.

That's why "focusing on the breath" is taught....to return the attention to the meditation,,,,and build the discipline required.

Once that habit of disciplined concentration is learned, then it is possible to simply sit back and watch the flow of thoughts....picking the ones to investigate and discarding or putting on hold the others.

But again, this can only be learned by practice....it's not automatic.

But personally, I believe most everyone can learn such techniques....but it takes practice.

wai.gif

• Like 1

This is a technique...there are also techniques for memory...

It is still reacting to unwanted thoughts....they are unwanted because we have already judged them.

The real trick is to be completely dispassionate towards everything....every thought...every sensation....without judging or liking or disliking and therefore already reacting...

Thoughts occur naturally but to just be aware of them...acknowledge they happen and then ignore them...let them go...is the real practice.

It's the minds job to think, and it is so good at it it keeps on doing it in our sleep in the shape of dreams. The more you try to throw away thoughts the more they'll come back stronger.

The idea is to change your relationship with them, view them as impersonal impermanent phenomena, and if you can observe them objectively they'll fade into the background more and create less annoyance.

This will give you a bit more freedom to apply thought to what you are doing in the present moment.

• Like 1

This is a fascinating and inspiring thread, and it concerns a pet topic of mine. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

I've discussed the topic of unwanted thoughts with Buddhist monks and committed Christians (who seem to regard them as the embodiment of Original Sin), and I've contemplated at length how best to process them. My experiences and observations lead me to conclude that:-

• Trashing them is a useless exercise. They return sooner or later.
  • Dispassionately observing them does seem to reduce their disruptive power but they often remain, and can later haunt one in times of stress and difficulty.
  • Logical argument and thinking them through goes nowhere, and indeed sometimes produces an internal emotive reaction which reinforces them.

The only technique that I've found which seems to have any welcome effect is that of being nice to people and being nice about people, and attempting to be decent and fair to all things. By 'being nice' I don't mean being kind or generous or warm or loving, I mean being nice as opposed to being hostile, competitive, and or confrontational. When one is nice, the pleasant tolerant friendly thoughts and intentions in one's heart and mind preclude negative thoughts from arising. This does not make them totally disappear, it merely reduces their frequency, power and influence.

The above is what I endeavour to do, but I don't claim 100% success. Even so, I think that it's worth persevering with.

This is a fascinating and inspiring thread, and it concerns a pet topic of mine. Thanks everyone for your contributions.

I've discussed the topic of unwanted thoughts with Buddhist monks and committed Christians (who seem to regard them as the embodiment of Original Sin), and I've contemplated at length how best to process them. My experiences and observations lead me to conclude that:-

• Dispassionately observing them does seem to reduce their disruptive power but they often remain, and can later haunt one in times of stress and difficulty.
  • Logical argument and thinking them through goes nowhere, and indeed sometimes produces an internal emotive reaction which reinforces them.

The only technique that I've found which seems to have any welcome effect is that of being nice to people and being nice about people, and attempting to be decent and fair to all things. By 'being nice' I don't mean being kind or generous or warm or loving, I mean being nice as opposed to being hostile, competitive, and or confrontational. When one is nice, the pleasant tolerant friendly thoughts and intentions in one's heart and mind preclude negative thoughts from arising. This does not make them totally disappear, it merely reduces their frequency, power and influence.

The above is what I endeavour to do, but I don't claim 100% success. Even so, I think that it's worth persevering with.

You can go further with your technique of being nice by abstaining from unwise action.

Acting wisely reduces the chance of instances occuring which may lead to concerns/worries.

The five precepts are a good example:

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life.

2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given.

3. I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct.

4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.

5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness.

Edited by rockyysdt

So called 'thought' is mostly just internal dialogue. This is learned behaviour, if you think in English for example, you were not born that way. It is a habit and can be changed. A couple of simple tricks, use perhipheral vision. If the eyes are focused on a single point thinking begins. Second, listen don't look. The focus shifts from the habitual tunnel vision with which internal dialogue is associated, to another sensory input which requires more attention and leaves much less 'ram' for the brain to chatter to itself. Remember, silence is golden.

• Like 1

You can go further with your technique of being nice by abstaining from unwise action.

Acting wisely reduces the chance of instances occuring which may lead to concerns/worries.

The five precepts are a good example:

1. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking life.

2. I undertake the training rule to abstain from taking what is not given.

3. I undertake the training rule to abstain from sexual misconduct.

4. I undertake the training rule to abstain from false speech.

5. I undertake the training rule to abstain from fermented drink that causes heedlessness.

Thanks for your very helpful and very welcome suggestions.