Subaru Xv

rics21

heard the new Subaru XV will be taking pre orders in the motor show. seems like they are going to assemble the cross over in Malaysia and importing with the asean tax tariff. Read from a Thai site that it will be priced similar with the CRV 4wd and the Captiva counterparts.

The HP/weight ratio is ok. But the boxer engine can only do a 10.7sec from 0 -100km.

Opinions?

Can it challenge the CRV as reigning champ?

revive the dying Subaru brand as the Captiva has done for GM’s Chevrolet?

will Madza come up with their CX5+Skyactiv by next year?

Subaru has generally an excellent reputation abroad (esp. in France) as a performance-related car. However, in Thailand, the big issue (as for other brands) will be the dealership network, cost of parts and servicing. May be bought by some Bangkokians, but competing against the CRV? I highly doubt it, as servicing and dealer network are two things closely watched by thais when they buy a car.

Subaru has generally an excellent reputation abroad (esp. in France) as a performance-related car. However, in Thailand, the big issue (as for other brands) will be the dealership network, cost of parts and servicing. May be bought by some Bangkokians, but competing against the CRV? I highly doubt it, as servicing and dealer network are two things closely watched by thais when they buy a car.

i hope his link will not get me another warning:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Subaru-goes-into-top-gear-30186043.html

they are expanding their network, restructuring, etc.

If you want I can regularly update regarding new car models which will go on sale in Thailand. Our company handles the translations for Toyota, Lexus, Suzuki and Mazda.

We are now pitching for Subaru, Volvo and Mitsubishi :)

• Like 1

If you want I can regularly update regarding new car models which will go on sale in Thailand. Our company handles the translations for Toyota, Lexus, Suzuki and Mazda.

We are now pitching for Subaru, Volvo and Mitsubishi smile.png

I would say: Hell YES.....or rather: please please we all would appreciate it (I definitely would!)

JoeW, you can safely assume many ThaiVisa readers would value information about upcoming model releases and specs. There are a few current posters the rest of us rely on for information in threads like

Anything you can add would be appreciated.

Suzuki APV Replacement for Thailand: Suzuki Ertiga.

Parts from India, Assembled in Indonesia, Shipped to Thailand. They will start shipping to Thailand from March 2013.

Motor is a 1.5 liter gasoline engine.

From what I've heard from people in Suzuki Thailand, there is a chance that Suzuki will launch a new eco-car in Thailand (1.2 liter swift engine) and rebrand the swift to 1.5 liter only.

Not 100% certain yet, so please treat it as gossip.

From January 2013 Suzuki Thailand will produce the Suzuki Swift for the Australian market btw. They haven't expanded their production lines much yet, so expect even longer waiting times for your orders in Thailand.

Edited by JoeW

As for other replacement car models, we are currently working on the new Toyota Vios (not sure about the release date though).

Also other updates on the way for Toyota Hilux (minor change), Toyota Camry (minor change), Toyota Corolla (New Model, 2014, but no one really cares it seems :))

There are talks about a new Toyota Eco-Car it seems. We haven't gotten the English manual yet, but it seem Daihatsu and Toyota Japan are talking about this.

Our head office in Japan told me that it might be based on the Daihatsu Bo-on, but that's just gossip for now.

It seems to me that Subarus are very rare cars in Thailand. I own a 1998 Subaru Legacy here in America: I think it would be a great car for Thailand that mimics many cars in the country= small, economical Japanese sedan w/ small displacement 4-cylinder engine.

Regarding the XV, here's an excerpt from American Motor Trend Magazine; SUV of the Year 2013:

"...It's 148 horsepower slow, though tossable while maintaining Subaru's typically supple ride."

" ... 22.4 mpg from hard, real-world driving. . . 4 mpg better than the second-best Mercedes-Benz GL350 Bluetec."

" . . . not the winner, but the one many of us would buy." @ $22,790 base model starting price in USA.

It seems to me that Subarus are very rare cars in Thailand. I own a 1998 Subaru Legacy here in America: I think it would be a great car for Thailand that mimics many cars in the country= small, economical Japanese sedan w/ small displacement 4-cylinder engine.

Regarding the XV, here's an excerpt from American Motor Trend Magazine; SUV of the Year 2013:

"...It's 148 horsepower slow, though tossable while maintaining Subaru's typically supple ride."

" ... 22.4 mpg from hard, real-world driving. . . 4 mpg better than the second-best Mercedes-Benz GL350 Bluetec."

" . . . not the winner, but the one many of us would buy." @ $22,790 base model starting price in USA.

How about the cx5?

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

Mazda CX5 was the crossover SUV of the year for 2012 in Australia. I had the Mrs call into Two Mazda showrooms last week but they did not have any idea as to the release date in Thailand. Speculation from other Thai forums are a release at the motor show in March/April.

The CX5 will be manufactured in Thailand so hoping the price will be on par with the Honda CRV, the top model being 1.6 - 1.7 million.

Fingers crossed, a pearl white one with a set on 22's would look very nice

Mazda CX5 was the crossover SUV of the year for 2012 in Australia. I had the Mrs call into Two Mazda showrooms last week but they did not have any idea as to the release date in Thailand. Speculation from other Thai forums are a release at the motor show in March/April.

The CX5 will be manufactured in Thailand so hoping the price will be on par with the Honda CRV, the top model being 1.6 - 1.7 million.

Fingers crossed, a pearl white one with a set on 22's would look very nice

1.7mil for a Mazda CX5.

1.9mil for a BMW X1.

Hope its not happening.

Edited by rics21

It has already happened with the Captiva (upto 1.7M despite the Chev badge). But is bigger and diesel. Honda want 1.2 - 1.5M for the new CR-V. Some buyers are impressed enough with the BMW badge to go for the 1.9M X1, some are not.

Lets hope Subaru and Mazda price the XV and CX5 competitively. Anything above the CR-V would be a stretch for Petrol versions.

Some forums in Australia have lots of comments about DPF issues for the diesel CX5 when used for short trips or low speed a lot. Wonder if Mazda will sort this out before the CX5 makes it to the crowded roads in LOS.

Edited by Jitar

Saw speedchannel yesterday and they had a special on the motorshow. What i understood from it was that the Subaru XV goes for 1.35m and gets something like 3 Kenwood screens as freebies on the motorshow. Not exactly sure what that meant though, but 1.35m is a good price.

Wish only this one would come in the 2.0 diesel version or a little peppier engine.

I year appear to make a big difference......

The estimated price back then for the Subaru XV was around 1 million + would have a 1.6 engine.......... ? so what happened ? year on it is a 2 lt engine and over 300k more sad.png

The Mazda CX5 back then was also estimated price would be just over 1 million.......

If that is the price then they have lost the plot,,,,,,,,,,, The old SUV 'Tribute' not here for 6 years was over priced people just went with the Ford.. The 2012 Ford Escape starts and just under 1 million.. and that is with 4 airbags... 1.1 million for top model........... one would hope that the CX5 would not be more than 1.2 million..

The Escape is discounted because it is an old model.

Honda are selling the CR-V at 1.2 to 1.5M with a long waiting list.

Subaru and Mazda are not likely to be too far from that level.

The XV at 1.35M is not so bad compared to 1.9M for the Forester.

The Escape is discounted because it is an old model.

Honda are selling the CR-V at 1.2 to 1.5M with a long waiting list.

Subaru and Mazda are not likely to be too far from that level.

The XV at 1.35M is not so bad compared to 1.9M for the Forester.

As many of these type of SUV's /Crossovers are 2 wheel drive now a day, will the CX5 be 2 or 4 WD or both here? looks to be 2 WD will be the ones imported from Malaysia......... if they are to be up to 1,7 million then the Volvo V50 at under 1,7 look a good buy.

The only way to make a killing here is to under cut that ugly CRV.......

What is the Chevy Trax ? looks good but appear now is not coming here after all, or is it ? The new Spin they can keep, no thanks... and the Captiva ? last of the line ? something that looks good and sells well they discontinue

Anyone here saw the Subaru XV in real life yet?

Yeah, It looks cool w/ the higher ride height and blackish wheels. It definitely just looks like a raised Impreza sedan.

The Mazda looks a little more handsome, though... maybe because it appears taller, larger, more spacious ' ' '

How about the cx5?

Yeah, sure: from the same Article for SUV of the Year 2013: Mazda CX-5

" The small CUV was easy to hustle around the test track and rotated smoothly . . ."

" The... 155-horse Skyactiv 2.0 liter.... seems adequate in a small hatchback, but inadequate in a larger, heavier . . .CUV."

" ... tremendous value here. . . ' The bare-bones version is one of the weakest interior . . . ,but it's a . . . deal at under $22k,' "

How about the cx5?

" The small CUV was easy to hustle around the test track and rotated smoothly . . ."

" The... 155-horse Skyactiv 2.0 liter.... seems adequate in a small hatchback, but inadequate in a larger, heavier . . .CUV."

" ... tremendous value here. . . ' The bare-bones version is one of the weakest interior . . . ,but it's a . . . deal at under $22k,' "

The 2.2L turbo diesel will be the CX-5 of choice once they start being imported from Malaysia..

How about the cx5?

The 2.2L turbo diesel will be the CX-5 of choice once they start being imported from Malaysia..

Would that be the motor from the bt-50, tuned for a smaller vehicle?

The 2.2L in the BT-50 is a Ford sourced engine - while it's used different states of tune in other Ford models abroad (Mondeo, Transit etc), the 2.2L in the CX-5 is Mazda's new SkyActiv-D low-compression ratio design.

The 2.2L in the BT-50 is a Ford sourced engine - while it's used different states of tune in other Ford models abroad (Mondeo, Transit etc), the 2.2L in the CX-5 is Mazda's new SkyActiv-D low-compression ratio design.

Thanks are there any specs on this engine....I'm assuming great fuel economy to beat the pants off the crv.

Just found this:

Output beats the gas engine in both regards: 173 hp at 4500 rpm and 310 lb-ft at 2000. Redline has been raised to a screaming (for a diesel) 5200 rpm, versus its predecessor’s 4500. And it felt notably quicker than the gas-engined car, pulling strongly throughout the rev range and exhibiting none of the run-out-of-breath feeling that afflicts some diesels as they wind toward the upper end of the tach. It’s exceptionally responsive, and quiet, too, with very little clatter, even when accelerating from engine speeds below 1500 rpm.

Let's hope it comes our way....

Edited by culicine

How about the cx5?

Maybe but some of the newer diesels with DPF are having problems with engine oil - fuel contamination from DPF regeneration, especially in slow city driving. The CX5 has its share of complaints in Australia and Europe.

DPFs have only started to appear this year in Thailand on other models. It will be interesting to see if this problem appears in BKK driving conditions. Maybe Mazda will have a fix before the CX5 gets to BKK.