Public Transport And The Handicapped. How Do They Do It?

beachroadlover2

The answer is quite short: NOT, even most of the pavements beyond Sukhumvit Rd and Thonglor are not suitable for baby strollers and mums have to push those on the streets. MRT has some elevators and I gues the big BTS stations as well, but BKK in general is not set up for strollers and wheelchairs much...

I know for definite that Mochit/Chatuchak park has an elevator for the BTS station and also one for the MRT Station.

But the streets are where the problems lie as there are no real good footpaths, also buses have no space for wheelchairs.

I know for definite that Mochit/Chatuchak park has an elevator for the BTS station and also one for the MRT Station.

But the streets are where the problems lie as there are no real good footpaths, also buses have no space for wheelchairs.

They are in wheelchairs, no need for public transport..........they got their own wheels mangiggle.gif

They are in wheelchairs, no need for public transport..........they got their own wheels mangiggle.gif

Oh so funny, how old are you?

Old enough to crack a joke to lighten up the mood after reading so many depressing storys/posts on here

Old enough to crack a joke to lighten up the mood after reading so many depressing storys/posts on here

when you are in a wheelchair yourself (which can hapopen with one little motorcycle accident) you may like to reflect on thazt comment.

• Like 1

It kind of goes back to the cost of living and cultural attitude towards the idea of being handicapped. Wheel-chaired people make up a significant minority of the total population. If someone is elderly or handicapped, another person who is more able-bodied would be requested in the family or friend to do heavy lifting or assist that person in getting on the bus, shopping, etc. I am not suggesting that an honest effort cannot be made to make ramps on the next renovation of a curb/block or install an elevator in public transit stations, but it just makes more sense to cater to the overwhelming majority (capable of walking with 2 legs). Part of the reason also for discouraging ramps might be to prevent motorbike access. Some of those drivers will mistaken the sidewalk as a motorbike-only lane.

In USA, expensive statutory provisions were made to ensure that there is equal access to all. It may not cost too much to install a ramp for a new building, but retrofitting an older building for proper wheelchair/elevator, etc. access can be expensive. I was talking with a guy who said he knew someone who walked around looking for places like restaurants that did not have proper disability access and would then threaten the owner with a lawsuit for not complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act and tried to work out a settlement. As they say, "Only in America."

so since when are all handicapped tied into a wheelchair? Do not people have any brains to think wider?

In this area is the main lotteree office-tickets of which are often sold by handicapped people-think lame, crippled, blind, missing arms or legs. In Wheelchairs also-but in % quite rare. They use the buses-with some help. Its TH here-so help is always forthcoming- every bus has a conductor, and yes, also very high steps-for floods and all that.

Escalators for BTS are all on a clump 2-3 mtrs above level ground-also for those floods. PLUS that the narrow mind of poster also limits his/her ideas that BTS/MRT are the only ''transit'' options. Taxi's cost per km, less as a ticket on wstern public transport.

So you think disability is funny? The usual excuse of attempted humour. This is your idea of a joke? How sad.

In USA, expensive statutory provisions were made to ensure that there is equal access to all. It may not cost too much to install a ramp for a new building, but retrofitting an older building for proper wheelchair/elevator, etc. access can be expensive. I was talking with a guy who said he knew someone who walked around looking for places like restaurants that did not have proper disability access and would then threaten the owner with a lawsuit for not complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act and tried to work out a settlement. As they say, "Only in America."

His name is Scott Johnson, and he is a real piece of crap. He files lawsuits for ADA violations, and then settles out of court for 2-6 k USD. Try that in Thailand, and he would be taking a fast ride down a steep hill into a busy intersection.