Maggs - Theppasit ?

prk888

It moved further down the road! Same side further towards Sukhumwit but not really very far from the old location. Open for dinners only. It is fabuloso!

Actually I am not a huge fan of the food, over the top decoration, personalities of the ladyboy waiters, but most people seem to love it!

http://www.facebook....staurantPattaya

Map here:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d3170426-Reviews-Maggs_Restaurant_Pattaya-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing

What kind of food is it and is there any connection to the old Luxor restaurant behind Tuk Com? I ask because the decor seems somewhat similar (over the top but without the Egyptian theme). I used to like Luxor because many of the waiters were cute and were definitely up for it, if you know what I mean :)

What kind of food is it and is there any connection to the old Luxor restaurant behind Tuk Com? I ask because the decor seems somewhat similar (over the top but without the Egyptian theme). I used to like Luxor because many of the waiters were cute and were definitely up for it, if you know what I mean smile.png

The owners are English and so the food is international with an English touch (Yorkshire pudding) and has no connection with old Luxor. The decor was inherited from the previous establishment and not planned. The main dishes and deserts are often excellent. The veggies and soups are a big miss for me. The staff is top notch and knows the regulars by name.

... The staff is top notch and knows the regulars by name.

The staff have a certain OVERLY FAMILIAR style which many will like and some will not. coffee1.gif

In my view, it's not really ideal, more like CLOYING.

I think it's worth checking out for those who don't know the place and yes the Yorkshire pud might be the best in town.

The place offers both a set menu and an a la carte menu. The set menu is choice of appetizer, main course, and dessert for 400 baht. The semi-modern English food set menu concept seems to compete directly with THE RITZ in Jomtien Complex, which has a set a bit cheaper. The food is similar with both places having some strengths and weaknesses. The roasted vegetable boat is better at the Ritz. The desserts are better at Maggs.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

OK, I'm going to go there now.

Many restaurants all over town employ ladyboy and/or gay male waiters.

My comment about the service at Maggs isn't about that in itself.

It was based on the PERSONALITY and SERVICE STYLE of the waiters there, who BTW based on my limited experience do appear to be ladyboys.

I do presume the style of service there is a business decision.

Not all restaurants that employ ladyboy and/or gay male waiters have a service style like Maggs; I think most don't.

I suggest go and experience it for yourself and see if the place agrees with you or not.

Personally I do not like the service style at Maggs but wouldn't consider that a big enough deal to stop me from going often if I wanted to go there often (which I don't).

Look I'm not being naive or PC here. I do realize some customers are offended by waiters who are flamboyant (either gay or ladyboys) while other people enjoy that for entertainment purposes. I have my own waiter preferences so I'm in no position to be preachy: which are competent male identified cute gay male waiters who are not cloying but might still give me their phone number ...

In any case people of different sexualities do deserve a chance to work and customers also of course have the right to eat out where they prefer.

Edited by Jingthing

personally i dont like to go to that type of place (what do you do when you have to use the toilet) but everybody to their own.

You have every right to spend your money where you like and not spend it where you don't like, for ANY reason. Bon Appetit.

As far as Maggs goes, they are a successful running operation with a large loyal (and sexually diverse) customer base. If you think you need to be gay to eat at Maggs or that you won't be welcome there dining with a Thai bar girl, you are WAY off the mark.

I really wish them the best of continued success. I may not feel the need for that kind of food very often but the place offers good food for a fair price and also ... the experience.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Its been a while since I went to Maggs and I have always gone with my Thai GF.... I ignore the "flam-boy-ance" of the waiters and concentrate on the food and overall service which is excellent - no other word for it.

The GF likes the Euro/ British food as well.