Cancelling Work Permit And Visa Extension

Hello,

I have a non-immigrant B visa and will leave my job December 17.

I also have a plane ticket to leave the country on the same day.

I believe I have to cancel my work permit at the Department of Employment, which I plan to do before going to board my flight, but do I also need to cancel my visa extension if I'm leaving on the same day that it expires?

A web search turns up conflicting information so any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Cancelling your wp is canceling a extension of stay, based on a wp, too.

You need to leave, the very same day, or you need to extend for another week.

In case, the extension is on other reasons, not connected with the wp: you cancel a extension of stay in the moment, you're leaving the country without a re-entry permit, anyway!

If the WP is expiring on the day the OP is leaving is it still necessary for him to hand in the wp?

If the extension of stay and the WP expire on the same day and are tied to each other the simple act of leaving the country without a reentry permit will cancel the visa and the wp will be "dead" at midnight on the day it expires so I'm surprised it would need to be "handed in".

Couldn't he post it so it arrived on the day he was leaving if he was leaving overland?

Thanks everyone for your replies.

My work permit will expire in May 2013, but the visa attached to it will expire on Dec 17 2012 if I don't apply for another 3 month extension on it.

A few more questions : Does anyone know the procedure for cancelling a work permit? Is it true that it's not necessary to hand it back to the Department of Employment anymore? Do I physically need to go there? Do I need a letter from my workplace?

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your replies.

My work permit will expire in May 2013, but the visa attached to it will expire on Dec 17 2012 if I don't apply for another 3 month extension on it.

A few more questions : Does anyone know the procedure for cancelling a work permit? Is it true that it's not necessary to hand it back to the Department of Employment anymore? Do I physically need to go there? Do I need a letter from my workplace?

Thanks!

Was the Non Immigrant Type 'B' Visa issued outside of Thailand and do you get 90 day stamps every time you enter Thailand, or did you obtain an Extension of Permission to Stay at your Local Immigration Department?

If the Visa was issued outside of Thailand then it and your 90 day day entry are unaffected by your ending employment.

If you have an Extension of Permission to Stay issued by your local immigration dept based on working in the Kingdom of Thailand, then this is locked to your employment and will end the day you employment ends.

Normally you get an extension of stay for 1 year, not 3 months (unless your WP is for 3 months at a time?).

Make sure that the stamp in your passport says you are allowed to stay/permission to stay untill 17 December. Some people confuse 90 day reporting with an extension, which it is not.

Normally you get an extension of stay for 1 year, not 3 months (unless your WP is for 3 months at a time?).

Make sure that the stamp in your passport says you are allowed to stay/permission to stay untill 17 December. Some people confuse 90 day reporting with an extension, which it is not.

That was my impression, too, but for some reason Immigration only gave me 3 months the last time I went there. Work permit was for a year, would be valid until May 2013 if I didn't resign.

Edited by steppenfaerie

Maybe because your contract ended then.

Do cancel the WP. It is no longer necesarry to return the WP to the labour department, some labour offices seem to take a different view.

I seem to have troubles with my server today, but the form you should be able to downoad form here:

http://wp.doe.go.th/en/downloadform

Edit: http://wp.doe.go.th/sites/default/files/form/wp_cancellation.pdf

I seem to have a similar problem.

I am leaving work 14 December, and need to cancel my non-immigrant B extension, as I will be getting a new job in 2013.

Problem is visa was issued at Pathum Thani Immigration office, because I work in Pathum Thani, and it is located in the middle of nowhere, alongside the Chao Praya River.

2 Questions: Can I cancel it at Chaeng Wattana Immigration office - I live in central Bangkok? Can I then apply for a 7 day extension, then after that a 60 day extension based on marriage to a Thai?

This will then give me enough time to organise my next job / visa.

If your office is Pathum Thani and that is where you must go AFAIK - do not believe they still have an office at Chiang Watanna. Believe you will need an exit/entry to apply for the 60 day extension of stay - the 7 days is fine as it is disapproved extension but allows 7 days to depart.