Passport Validity / Marriage Visa

Is there a passport validity requirement when applying? I assume has to be at least 1 year.

My situation related to this question, suggestions welcome.

My USA pp expires June 2013. TW and I are now moving to Thailand in December 2012.

? - If I fly in at BKK, get the 30 day tourist entry, then try to get a new passport in Bangkok during that first 30 days, seems a bit tight. If I get it, then submit the marriage extension application, is there any problem since my entry stamp is in the old passport?

Any other suggestions? There is a Thai Consulate where we are now. Should I apply here for some other kind of visa at first which might buy me more time?

Edited by 55Jay

Getting a new pasport in Bangkok is not a problem. It takes about 10 days from the date of application, cost $110.

You don't say exactly where you are, but you could get a single entry tourist visa which would give you 90 days or, if you have all of the documentation as proof of marriage you could apply for a Non-O visa for visiting your wife. Only a Non-O visa can be extended for marriage. But you can convert visa exempt or a tourist visa to a Non-O in Bangkok without leaving the country - 2000 baht.

I don't know if your passport expirstion date will be a problem, some embassys/consulates require that the passport be valid for at least 6 months to issue a visa, you seem to be right there. But you can enter Thailand with less than 6 months.

Do you meet all of the requirements for a marriage extension? Theyr'e here: Marriage Requirements.doc

Really need more details!

It would be best to get a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to travel but you need to do now as this requires six month validity of passport for Consulate to issue. You can then extend stay on current passport for marriage and then obtain new passport and remainder of stay will be entered into the new passport free of charge.

Failing above visa exempt entry for 30 days will likely require a ticket out within that period to board flight so get a ticket to Vientiane/KL or other point where you can obtain the single entry non immigrant O visa later. Upon arrival immediately apply for new passport (as said normal time is 10 days - you can fill out form online and print out/have ready - you also must obtain online appointment at Embassy so schedule that. Remember the form you fill out is mail order but you do not actually mail it so no extra fees are required for fast service. Then you would visit Thai Consulate for the non immigrant visa and extend 60 days later.

Thanks for responses. Taking a shot, sent email to US Embassy just now here asking for expedite passport service. Think it's best to start the process/enter LOS with a clean passport and go from there. That doesn't work out, I'll visit the Thai Consulate here and see what they'll do on the current passport.

I'll re-visit this thread question and thanks again for the important and useful responses.

Regards,

J

The embassies passport service is already an expedited service. But you do not have to pay extra for it like you would if in the US when applying. As said already it only takes about 10 days and you get to keep your passport while waiting for new one.

Getting a new pasport in Bangkok is not a problem. It takes about 10 days from the date of application, cost $110.

You don't say exactly where you are, but you could get a single entry tourist visa which would give you 90 days or, if you have all of the documentation as proof of marriage you could apply for a Non-O visa for visiting your wife. Only a Non-O visa can be extended for marriage. But you can convert visa exempt or a tourist visa to a Non-O in Bangkok without leaving the country - 2000 baht.

I don't know if your passport expirstion date will be a problem, some embassys/consulates require that the passport be valid for at least 6 months to issue a visa, you seem to be right there. But you can enter Thailand with less than 6 months.

Do you meet all of the requirements for a marriage extension? Theyr'e here: Marriage Requirements.doc

Really need more details!

Thanks for the info Wayne, and I'm in the middle east.

It would be best to get a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to travel but you need to do now as this requires six month validity of passport for Consulate to issue. You can then extend stay on current passport for marriage and then obtain new passport and remainder of stay will be entered into the new passport free of charge.

Failing above visa exempt entry for 30 days will likely require a ticket out within that period to board flight so get a ticket to Vientiane/KL or other point where you can obtain the single entry non immigrant O visa later. Upon arrival immediately apply for new passport (as said normal time is 10 days - you can fill out form online and print out/have ready - you also must obtain online appointment at Embassy so schedule that. Remember the form you fill out is mail order but you do not actually mail it so no extra fees are required for fast service. Then you would visit Thai Consulate for the non immigrant visa and extend 60 days later.

Thanks, we'll visit Thai Embassy tomorrow as well, see what I can get with current passport having about 7 months left on it.

Edited by 55Jay

• 2 weeks later...

Seems to have worked out. Thai embassy said OK to Non-O 90-days even as my passport expiry will be approaching the 6 month mark. Will get new PP in BKK then give the 1 year extension for marraige a go.

I hope it will be OK, long as I still have my old passport with arrival card/stamp.

J

• 3 weeks later...

Arrived in Thailand 25DEC on Non-O 90 Single issued from Thai Embassy in middle east.

Thanks Lopburi/Wayne for the advice, worked out great, no issues.

Next in a string of "first times" is the extension based on marriage. Will try my US Military pension which meets/exceeds the 40k/mo income requirement.

Q: I see the income affidavit "for retirees" on USE BKK website. Do I use this form even though the PDF file name indicates "retirees"? Seems generic enough to fit what I need, just like to be sure as we would be in Korat area and make a trip down to BKK for this.

From what I've read, I would:

1. Print out my monthly earning statement from US Gov system on-line.

2. Fill out the income affidavit, leaving it unsigned until I'm with notary.

3. Make an Embassy appt on-line, show up, present affidavit, income statement, IDs and payment.

That sound about right? Anything else to it, US Embassy quirks, tips, etc?

Do they do this notary service pretty quickly or do you have to come back next day?

Thanks & regards,

J

Sounds right, except that you do not present the income statement.

You do take it with you to immigration, for if they ask for proof of your income. But the embassy is not intersetd in it, they are not allowed to verify it.

Notary service is on the spot.

Sounds right, except that you do not present the income statement.

You do take it with you to immigration, for if they ask for proof of your income. But the embassy is not intersetd in it, they are not allowed to verify it.

Notary service is on the spot.

Thanks very much, Mario.

Regards,

J

You go to front/appointment queue for entry to security and after that follow path to right for ACS door - inside you present appointment paper and filled out form if you do from download and they direct you to payment inside next room where you pay and probably submit the paper in another window and wait to be called in original entry area. Normally not more than 15 minutes. Be sure to have passport and a second form of ID if you have phone as that must be stored at security check area for pickup on way out.

You go to front/appointment queue for entry to security and after that follow path to right for ACS door - inside you present appointment paper and filled out form if you do from download and they direct you to payment inside next room where you pay and probably submit the paper in another window and wait to be called in original entry area. Normally not more than 15 minutes. Be sure to have passport and a second form of ID if you have phone as that must be stored at security check area for pickup on way out.

Roger, thank you again.

J

When I was there in late October, they had changed the entrance procedure. There is a security window to the right of the entrance to the Embassy and I had to present my appointmnet slip and passport to them. They then checked the list of appointmnets and issued an plastic ACS pass which allowed me to enter. My wife was with me and she had to provide her ID and they issued her a passs also.The rest of the procedure is the same, cost $50 or 1600 baht in October (exchange rate used 32 baht/dollar).

When I was there in late October, they had changed the entrance procedure. There is a security window to the right of the entrance to the Embassy and I had to present my appointmnet slip and passport to them. They then checked the list of appointmnets and issued an plastic ACS pass which allowed me to enter. My wife was with me and she had to provide her ID and they issued her a passs also.The rest of the procedure is the same, cost $50 or 1600 baht in October (exchange rate used 32 baht/dollar).

Website indicates credit cards ok too, did you notice a card swiper machine at the pay window?

The Consular Section accepts payment in U.S. dollars, Thai baht, and by credit card.

So cashier must have a unit inside her enclosure. Have always paid in excess USD from last trip (now a decade ago) have not noticed. Good information from wayned on the window - it was not being used in June when I was last here so should be an improvement.

I was there twice in October, the first time must have been the first day that it was open as the right hand didn't know what the left was doing. Took 3 trips to the window to get the pass. Two weeks later they had assigned a Thai counsilor assistant to stand by the widow, more to give direction to the "guard" inside than anything else. Went a little better but since I was early I was told to wait outside until my appointment time. I showed them my cane, told them that I couldn't stand and wait and said that there were plenty of seats inside and none outside so I was allowed to go. Once I got in I was processsed right away without any mention of being early, I was only half of an hourearly.

The Consular Section accepts payment in U.S. dollars, Thai baht, and by credit card.

So cashier must have a unit inside her enclosure. Have always paid in excess USD from last trip (now a decade ago) have not noticed. Good information from wayned on the window - it was not being used in June when I was last here so should be an improvement.

OK thanks, I'll have cash and plastic then.

Rgds,

J

"As said already it only takes about 10 days and you get to keep your passport while waiting for new one."

I applied for a new US passport 13 Dec at the Outreach visit to KKC. I got it back via post yesterday. A little longer than 10 days, but the holidays might account for that.

They did, however, take my old passport with them when I applied. It was canceled and returned with my new passport.

Keeping the old one might be new since they've started mailing passports back. When you had to pick them up, they could cancel the old one then.

High praise to ACS and their Outreach visits.

Terry

I applied and picked up my new passport at the US Embasssy in Bangkok in early October 2012. It took less than 10 days, they sent me an email when the new one arrived. I did not have it mailed as I needed an Income Affidavit with the new passport number. I kept my old passport during the process and they cancelled the old one when I picked up the new one.

KKC = Khoh Kaen City

Edited by wayned

TerryLH did his passport renewal through a consular outreach in Khoen Khen (KKC). At out reaches they keep your passport because they have to take to Bangkok with with them for scanning because they send application electronically to the states.

• 5 weeks later...

I applied and picked up my new passport at the US Embasssy in Bangkok in early October 2012. It took less than 10 days, they sent me an email when the new one arrived. I did not have it mailed as I needed an Income Affidavit with the new passport number. I kept my old passport during the process and they cancelled the old one when I picked up the new one.

KKC = Khoh Kaen City

Topic aged a bit but wanted to follow up 2 questions if you don't mind.

1. Mailing passport - USE website says new passports have to be picked up at ACS there. There's an option to have it mailed to you inside Thailand?

2. Income affidavits - can be mailed in and mailed back or have to appear in person? Only asking as some UK folks said they can do them by post, and I've noted Embassy doesn't even care to look at the actual proof of income. Must be the signature/verifcation affidavit which drives in-person I reckon.

Thanks again,

Jay

In answer to your second question, you must appear in person for the income affidavit since you must swear in front of the Consul that the information you provided is correct. So your guess was correct about appearing in person. I'm not sure about the answer to your first question as I picked up my renewed passport myself the last time I renewed it. BTW, when I renewed it last month, it took only 5 working days for the new passport to be ready for pickup. Actually pretty good service overall.