Resident Farangs In Isaan. How Many Speak The Language?

Jezz

Just wondering how many resident farangs in Isaan speak the local language. In my case, even after seven years in the country, I've tried and failed - partly due to advancing age that makes absorbing new information difficult, and partly due to a minor inner ear problem that makes hearing conversation clearly when there are other noises around difficult. Well that's my excuse so I'll stick to it! Apart from the obvious stock words and phrases, all else is beyond me. My missus has reasonable English and acts as my translator when ever required - which is daily. On occasions I feel frustrated at not knowing what is being said around me, or not being able to join in conversations. On the other hand, we get by without any real problems, but I know I'm missing out on sharing a lot of talk and local life in general. Any thoughts or comments? (pleasant ones preferably!)

• Like 1

I call it selective hearing. Only hear what I want to hear. Most of the 'ninh tah" is about other ppl and money and of course where and what to eat. That's about Issan talk. Not much else. So I wouldn't worry too much.

• Like 1

Problem here is the people speak Lao and an old type of Lao, every thing gets mixed together which makes it even more confusing. Just gave up, if I want something can look it up on the net.

Jim, I've followed many of your posts with great interest. You strike me as a man who speaks his mind, and that I like. It would be great if more of us Isaanites spoke openly about issues we face on an ongoing basis, rather than snipe away at whimsical things.

• Like 1

Problem here is the people speak Lao and an old type of Lao, every thing gets mixed together which makes it even more confusing. Just gave up, if I want something can look it up on the net.

Jim, I've followed many of your posts with great interest. You strike me as a man who speaks his mind, and that I like. It would be great if more of us Isaanites spoke openly about issues we face on an ongoing basis, rather than snipe away at whimsical things.

Think you will find that some who write about life in Issan have spent a few weeks here. Over the years on this site and meeting other farangs who live here think I know who is real and who is an internet tourist. I listen to those who really know and take notice of advice posted. As in the farming forum there are some who are real, maybe not full time residents and there are some who are dreamers. Jim

The reality is that only a minute few [Farang residents] care to understand or learn the language.

That's probably wht most are always frustrated, angst, suspiscious, anti-social, and certainly don't care for those around them [less, care for the society at large].

Typical and sad.

There are many resident farangs in Isaan who speak Thai very well. A lot even read and write. This language ability is more prevalent with those farangs who came here in their 20s (myself included) and have worked here for many years. In my own situation, I would not be able to conduct my research, do business and lecture without speaking Thai. It is such an advantage being able to talk to tradesmen, government officials, police, shopkeepers etc, without one another misunderstanding what is required. I know that learning Thai is very difficult, and in my case it required lots of hard work for years on end. It did not come easy. For those of you who have come here at an older age learning Thai will maybe prove extremely difficult. All I can say is to learn a few new words every day. It is such a joy to be able to communicate with all the people around you.

• Like 2

There are many resident farangs in Isaan who speak Thai very well. A lot even read and write. This language ability is more prevalent with those farangs who came here in their 20s (myself included) and have worked here for many years. In my own situation, I would not be able to conduct my research, do business and lecture without speaking Thai. It is such an advantage being able to talk to tradesmen, government officials, police, shopkeepers etc, without one another misunderstanding what is required. I know that learning Thai is very difficult, and in my case it required lots of hard work for years on end. It did not come easy. For those of you who have come here at an older age learning Thai will maybe prove extremely difficult. All I can say is to learn a few new words every day. It is such a joy to be able to communicate with all the people around you.

Wife, Thai was send to BKK at 7 years old to live with the single unmarried Aunt, so she could attend a good school. We got married and lived in OZ. When we got round to the village wedding in Issan, I kept asking what's happening. She said how would I know they all speak Lao. Jim
  • Like 2

I wonder if one day they would say that we care, Like a Puppett on a string,

The need to have to talk is a good indication of insecurity, in old age, meditation and yoga is better than trying to learn a complicated lanuage,

6 years now, i know sweet FA issan, and i really dont want to learn, its enough learning the culture,

Anybody who can speak the Issan/Lao lanuage, well done, but they will still talk behind your back or go into a like rhyming slang so youve lost anyway,

Best way, Stiff upper lip, just keep smiling, specially if a thai buys you a beer,,,

I can relate to the hearing thing with tones etc and the difficulty with speaking tonal, but i do a good impersonation of a stand up comedian the way the Thais laugh when i speak Thai and stuff it up.

I also find i can listen to Thai conversations but as my ears are in the process of hearing my brain is scrambling to keep up with the translation into my brain language so at the beginning of the sentence i can understand most of the words but at the after a few sentences i am about half a sentence behind and so it compounds.

• Like 1

I learn a little everyday, but as others have said---they speak Lao, or where I am Korat, They understand me some since Thai is what they hear on TV, but I understand little of what they say. I do better in Bangkok. My wife's mother forces me to speak my limited Thai with her. But she speaks Lao with a mouthful of betelnut:(

• Like 1

most are always frustrated, angst, suspiscious, anti-social, and certainly don't care for those around them [less, care for the society at large].

Typical and sad.

Occasionally frustrated, yes. Angst, suspicious, anti-social, don't care for those around, or care for society at large, wrong. A big no. Typical and sad? Come on! Get a life.

Come now, Jezz, there are some who revel in the high life, playing and re-playing Leonard Cohen songs at slower speeds to wring the deepest meaning from them.

On second thoughts, though, Leonard Cohen songs might be a little too up-beat and frivolous.

Edited by richardjm65
  • Like 1

There are many resident farangs in Isaan who speak Thai very well. A lot even read and write. This language ability is more prevalent with those farangs who came here in their 20s (myself included) and have worked here for many years.

/agree

Most farang I've talked to who work in Isaan, can speak at least enough Thai to have a basic conversation. Most of the guys who came at a younger age, can speak a lot of Thai even though they've only been here for a couple of years, and some can also read/write as well.

For myself, I can read/write, not very well mind you (As my gf says, "Now you're at a Prattom 1 or 2 level"), and unfortunately my range of vocab isn't very wide, because I have gotten lazy over the past year, since once I could say 80% of what I needed to say, I stopped actively learning. Now I just pickup a few new words now and then.

I can't speak any Isaan, only about 5-10 words or there abouts, which is a pain, as my gf's friends and family always chat away in Isaan so I miss most of the conversation. Although, even when they chat away in Thai, I still often miss a lot of the conversation lol, half the time I'm not even listening because I assume they'll be speaking Isaan so just "switch off" and go into la la land instead.

Re: richardjm65 @#20

Your description of Leonard Cohen being played at even slower speeds conjures up a comical image. Last time that name crossed my mind was when I started wondering what it must be like to be old at forty. These days I can't remember how old I was when I wondered about that.

post-73335-0-65750900-1354418483_thumb.j

Still, no time for reminiscing - I've a got a village gig to play tonight.

post-73335-0-57248600-1354418505_thumb.j

I used to live in my wife's village for about a year, when I settled down in "Isaan." There're so many different dialects in lower northeast that it's almost impossible to speak "Isaan" perfectly.

Let's say you speak Sisaket slang and you're driving to Mukdahan. They wouldn't understand you there. Soop Buri becomes Soop Jaa.

Good to know the difference between Mai Phen Rai and Bo Phen Jang,. Bai Sai, Maa and Sao baht. Always the same questions, where do you come from? Can you drink white whiskey? How long have you been living here? Oh, your Thai is very good,

Then after many years of trying to speak Thai, you won't really know if you speak some words in Thai, or in Laos. Penn Jang?wai2.gif

• Like 2

I'm far away of speaking fluently Thai but a small talk works and I can order what I like. I told my wife to teach me Thai (ten years ago), but it ended up with Thai-Lao-Khmen mix. Never mind, its funny that Thais in Bangkok or other metropols of Thailand smile and call me "banok" country boy. Interesting that I picked up a dialect. I love it.

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 2

When I came to LoS 8 years ago a friend said learn Thai, Lao doesn't matter. Now I speak Thai live in Isan and struggle with Lao. I thought was my friend right. In Isan they speak Lao but so many people from here go to different parts of the country to work. Get a taxi from BKK to town and how often was the driver born in Isan. Go to bars and where are the girls from? Go to restaurants in BKK or Chiang Mai and where are many of the staff from? I have found that when I am in BKK and speak my limited Lao (and it is) that peoploe seem to warm to me better.

However well you speak Lao/Isan I think there are two rules. 1. Never let people (strangers) know how much you speak/understand. 2 If you do your selective hearing mode can be compromised.

A chap in Khon Kaen has written a very good book on learning Isan which comes with 4 hour CD. He told me it can be ordered online or can bought at Asia Books. Gives you the basics. Por gan iik der for more postings

I also have found out that the villagers around me don't know how to speak Thai (whatever that is) but speak a mixture of Isaan/Thia/Lao and a bit of local dialect as well.

This is definetly true but, with a full generation of "Thaiification" now passed, the older generations that speak little Thai are dieing out. The younger generation, through social media, tv and schooling all speak good standard Thai. (allbeit often not as first choice)

I was genuinely shocked when I first met the In laws to be, a couple of years back, her mother spoke limited Thai, the Thai she did know was intertwined almost as slang with the Issan she spoke. She couldn`t hold a full conversation in Thai, even when I did pronounce my limited language skills well she wouldnt get it.

Its a case in point for me, as my soon to be wife will be coming to the UK with her young child from Issan. I am keen she talks only standard Thai with him and this is his second language as he gets older. With the way the Thai economy is growing, and ours shrinking, a fluent English speaker, with a UK education that speaks perfect Thai would have great opportunity in Bangkok for high paid work, perhaps better than the UK. If he speaks the same stuff his grandmum talks his opportunity will be limited.

I recently had an interesting conversation with my girlfriend (that's unusual in itself) in which she said she can identify fairly accurately where in Isaan the speaker comes from so you may well learn to "wao Udon" but then come unstuck in Ubon.

In addition, many Isaan villages are relatively recent (i.e. less than 100 years old) and they came about often due to migration from afar so the result is neighbouring villages in Isaan may well speak different dialects within the Thai-Lao continuum.

• Like 2

I recently had an interesting conversation with my girlfriend (that's unusual in itself) in which she said she can identify fairly accurately where in Isaan the speaker comes from so you may well learn to "wao Udon" but then come unstuck in Ubon.

In addition, many Isaan villages are relatively recent (i.e. less than 100 years old) and they came about often due to migration from afar so the result is neighbouring villages in Isaan may well speak different dialects within the Thai-Lao continuum.

Think what you say may be very true in some places. Where I am, smack up on the Lao land border,my understanding is many around here are ethnic Chinese from northern Vietnam. they came here about 200 years ago. Though they have inter married over the years you can see plainly 2 different peoples. Some very light skinned, others , Lao very dark, as well as height and facial features.

The very old speak a language that even the locals don't understand, at first I was told it is a secret language for blessings etc, but now I think it may be an old Chinese dialect mixed in with old Lao.

As said earlier the roads only came here 10 years ago, the place was cut off from the world for a very long time and old ways die hard. Jim

my self on and off for 7 years,

here for the last year,

i can understand quite a lot of(lao) speak some,

could do my life without the missus (i mean dont need translator)

when it comes to thai language i just dont get most if it.

i spend my time around farm work, get to chit chat a lot with other farmers too,

i really would l;ike to learm to read and writte that would be my ultimate goal.

im located near khon kaen,

some people do speak thai but most adress them selves to me in lao.