I'm Here! Where Should We Meet?

letsryan

Hello Forum one and all. I'm a new arrival, fresh off the boat, and while reading up about everything on the forum is nice, nothing beats a bit of face time.

So... who'd like to get together Friday night? I'll even buy the first round so you have to at least act amiable when I ask whether a new or used bike is the way to go. But don't worry. I see this primarily as a social thing, and a way to meet people (and who knows, maybe you all don't know some of your fellow posters).

Now, I don't know the area well, so I'm up for suggestions. It'll depend how many of you are up for this relaxed evening of idyllic splendor, of course, but a place both lively and quiet enough for conversation is what I'd hope for - maybe like the U.N. Irish Pub, but I'm betting there's better options out there (and do they even serve food? We should get food too.)

Right, hopefully see you soon.

Barking up the wrong tree looking for play mates in CM old bean...it's all old fogeys and armchair travelers here :D:D Have a wander down Thanon Loi Kroh for some 'fun' :o

I hate to say it.... but he's right.

This is the WRONG forum for your post Son, post your question at www.barladies.com and (we (hmmm) they will be able to give you more help

Now where did I put that blasted Zimmerframe

Barking up the wrong tree looking for play mates in CM old bean...it's all old fogeys and armchair travelers here :D:D Have a wander down Thanon Loi Kroh for some 'fun' :D

Now where did I put that blasted Zimmerframe

:D You're alright ole mate, it's the others :D:o

You're not going to break in to the CM clique that easy Ryan. :D

That's the thing old boy, there ain't one :D

Hello Forum one and all. I'm a new arrival, fresh off the boat, and while reading up about everything on the forum is nice, nothing beats a bit of face time.

So... who'd like to get together Friday night? I'll even buy the first round so you have to at least act amiable when I ask whether a new or used bike is the way to go. But don't worry. I see this primarily as a social thing, and a way to meet people (and who knows, maybe you all don't know some of your fellow posters).

Now, I don't know the area well, so I'm up for suggestions. It'll depend how many of you are up for this relaxed evening of idyllic splendor, of course, but a place both lively and quiet enough for conversation is what I'd hope for - maybe like the U.N. Irish Pub, but I'm betting there's better options out there (and do they even serve food? We should get food too.)

Right, hopefully see you soon.

I'm a bit surprised that the scrounging old codgers around here haven't jumped on the chance of a free beer, :D having said that I sense an apathy in the Chiang Mai forum when it comes to meet ups like this.

I think that you'll do better getting to know the social (drinking) scene rather than trying to stage an event.

For what it's worth:

Mad Dog Bar on Moon Muang - useful for good western stodgey food and picking up sage words from jaded and not so jaded expats.

UN Irish - Thursday night quiz night for meeting teachers, NGO types and a mix of other jaded and not so jaded expats - again! I'm pretty sure there's a bunch who drink there and are involved in local sports - ask Sandy the owner. Satellite TV set up that allows them to show sports events that UBC doesn't do justice to. And like chanchao says - nice bread!

Laughing Leprechaun - behind John's Place, a real oasis especially considering it's location. Good Guinness on draught, EXCELLENT western food. Dom the landlord is a really nice guy, who is a genuine Irishman, and pretty experienced in the region.

Dukes - see the pinned thread on places to eat - not so much of a place to meet people but probably a good place to arrange to meet up with people due to the definite dining focus of the layout. GREAT pizza and spare ribs.

Loi Kroh - no need to say anything about this, shurly?!

The list is much much longer and varied than this as I am sure you know - maybe some of the other posters will add their suggestions. The Pub, Drunken Flower, Wake Up, Monkey Club, Red Lion, the gates of CMU :o , the darts league, the pool league, quiz at True Blue . . . .

You may get a more useful response if you give an idea of who you are - here for the long-term?, married with children?, single and looking?, pre or post pension? golfer?, working? . . . . ?

A nice idea Ryan, sorry you're not getting a long list of takers. Just get out and about, I expect to bump into you sometime around town but not on Loi Kroh unless it's the Chiang Mai Saloon where anything beef based is well worth getting stuck into, tends to be more of a backpackers venue and Ron the owner can take some getting used to but he does have some local regulars (let's not start the Saloon debate again!).

Good luck and welcome to Chiang Mai.

JxP

Laughing Leprechaun - behind John's Place, a real oasis especially considering it's location. Good Guinness on draught, EXCELLENT western food. Dom the landlord is a really nice guy, who is a genuine Irishman, and pretty experienced in the region.

ANOTHER good new place! :o

There is no "appathy " here regarding piss-ups

We had one in August and had a great night out.

somebody come up with a date-venue-time and I'll be there.

I just don't want to organise it

Just post a topic "Piss Up in Chaingmai on .......at........ and lets go!!!

for a start....

Piss Up in Chaingmai .................................

Friday Night M :D arch 24th @ 9-00pm...............RED LION

......................................10-00pm..............O"MALLYS.

.......................................11-00pm..............Noks Bar..

.........................................11-30pm...............NOKs FRIEND....... NOIs BAR..

.................................12-00pm ...................SPOTLIGHT BAR :o

OK that my prog for that wee Night out.....so whos is about......?

There is no "appathy " here regarding piss-ups

We had one in August and had a great night out.

somebody come up with a date-venue-time and I'll be there.

I just don't want to organise it

Just post a topic "Piss Up in Chaingmai on .......at........ and lets go!!!

Me and my big mouth!

Maybe I used the wrong turn of phrase, ThaiPauly. Although I think it's fair to say that TV is more about online than offline meetings - by definition.

See you in Spotlight! :o

JxP

ANOTHER good new place! :D

Indeed - I keep meaning to post about it and have been surprised not to see anyone else pass comment on the place. The food really is superb.

JxP

Well, back online (I'm still guest housing it).

Sounds like not a lot of enthusiasm for the initial piss-up - I don't know Loi Kroh yet, but I'll check it out tonight and look for you, Chanchao. I shouldn't be too hard to spot - I'll be the Buddha belly with a freshly shaved head laughing at something and entertaining the locals by poorly repeating their Thai and vainly attempting to figure out what it means.

For those who wanted to know something about me - I'm a 27 year old freelance writer, come to live in Chiang Mai for, well, I don't know how long, but at least a year. Coming from Japan, where I lived 5. Originally from America, but worry not, I hate our government more than you do.

Didn't mean to ruffle the old fogey feathers - for the record, even though this is Thailand, when I said fun I didn't mean bar girls, I meant laughs - and while I certainly don't expect to just jump in, I figured no harm in meeting a number of good folk all at once early on. And figgered the fogeys would weed themselves out anyway.

So tonight, hope to see ya Chanchao, and the rest of ya I'll probably see at one of the scheduled piss-ups.

Glad to see some more friendly responses. Welcome, Ryan. Me man and I will be walking round the moat (or at least that's our optimistic intent) He's tall, I'm short and in a shirt full of blossoms. Hope to maybe run into you, or all of you. Or perhaps run from some... Chanchao, you're a brick. :o

Ah wait, I think I do know the place - slightly east of the south part of the night bazaar, buncha restaurants and shops with a few girlie bars around the corner near the moat... well, regardless, I'll just get a tuk-tuk and be guaranteed the right locale. Probably leave in just a few moments and get some dinner, then see what the area has to offer. Off I go.

Rinada posted Friday 24th MARCH (not Friday 24th Feb)

Did he mean to do that???

YES.....I plan to be in LOS for about 3 weeks starting from @ 20th March 2006.

Assuming all goes to order I recon on being in CM between the 19th and 27th March hence my suggestion of Friday night March 24th.

We will probably stay in the Dun 2 one for most of the time and spend the week going back and forward to the "Ranch" out at Mae-On.

Also gotta arrange a "do"out there one night for our "Heid Man" (thanks for the address..hoping for 999 :D )and the local MP and a maybe a few of the local TIT Lads..... :D

Will probably be slumming it about most other nights as well...for pratice.. :o

Then back to Bangers for the remaining 2 weeks.

Unfortunately that's how it usually ends up, with everyone planning on meeting up and then it all goes awry. On the first piss-up we had, something like 15 or 20 were going to be there and half a dozen turned up in the end. Same the world over I guess, although CM folk have an uncanny knack for no shows. :o

Edited by jackr

Unfortunately that's how it usually ends up, with everyone planning on meeting up and then it all goes awry. On the first piss-up we had, something like 15 or 20 were going to be there and half a dozen turned up in the end. Same the world over I guess, although CM folk have an uncanny knack for no shows. :D

and I bet it was the same half doozen turned up for the second one Jack :o

I seem to remember that the first Thaivisa get-together, at Mango tree, did have a fairly good showing of around 10-15 people, mos of whom I wouldn't mind meeting up with again. The simple reason you won't find me in bars is because I don't drink, and I don't tolerate drunks too well

Unfortunately that's how it usually ends up, with everyone planning on meeting up and then it all goes awry. On the first piss-up we had, something like 15 or 20 were going to be there and half a dozen turned up in the end. Same the world over I guess, although CM folk have an uncanny knack for no shows. :D

and I bet it was the same half doozen turned up for the second one Jack :o

Spot on mate :D

I don't tolerate drunks too well

Nor me Ajarn, that's why I get pished :D:D

and I bet it was the same half doozen turned up for the second one Jack :D

Spot on mate :D

Well thats six of us for sure then :o