Power Cut.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly just HOW does a blo*dy great heavy, thick, armoured, waterproof cable that's lying on the bottom of the sea suddenly get damaged?

Anybody help me out here? - I'm trying to visualise this but the pictures in my head aren't coming.

The only image that I have is that of a coupla-dozen strands of heavy-duty household mains cable all twisted together, underwater, with the joins wrapped round in back sticky tape . . .

R

Exactly just HOW does a blo*dy great heavy, thick, armoured, waterproof cable that's lying on the bottom of the sea suddenly get damaged?

Anybody help me out here? - I'm trying to visualise this but the pictures in my head aren't coming.

The only image that I have is that of a coupla-dozen strands of heavy-duty household mains cable all twisted together, underwater, with the joins wrapped round in back sticky tape . . .

R

Anchor?
  • Like 1

Mae Nam seems to have come back on at the same time as Bo Phut (mid-day)

(My neighbour's going to be miffed - he's gone out and left one of his taps on inside the house - I can hear it draining his water tank . . .)

R

R

Anchor?

Ah, right - and it caused all the sticky tape to get pulled off?

Normally it only takes them an hour or so to tape things back up again . . .

R

R

Anchor?

Ah, right - and it caused all the sticky tape to get pulled off?

Normally it only takes them an hour or so to tape things back up again . . .

R

they get damaged by the fishing boats with their illegal dragnettings they destroy more than only the reefs around the islands Edited by retell

That's why people needs to go SOLAR. In Thailand the whole country could be run by solar power.

(quote)

It could also be run by sensible, community-minded people committed to education and healthcare . . .

R

Besides all the heresay rumors from friends of friends, does anyone actually have any REAL, direct, official news from the PEA or Samui government as to the current electrical situation?

What's the exact cause?

What's being done to fix it?

When is it expected to be full restored?

Very important: until it is restored what is the schedule for rationing? When and where will it be turned And for how long?

If no official news, please stop all the baseless, sourceless rumors. Just because some Thai staff says something doesn't mean it's accurate nor based in reality.

Surely the PEA must have notices posted or distributed to certain areas. Has anyone actually seen one of these notices first hand? Even if you don't read Thai please take a photo of it and upload others in the community can translate.

• Like 2

News Update:

Government sources advise that power should be fully restored by 6pm tonight.

Any further updates , will keep you informed.

Latest update:

Revised timing midnight.

Reading between the lines tomorrow.

Here in Koh Phangan we have electricity (until 4pm I'm told), after that I don't know the schedule, but I understand that there will be disruption until Friday. They are laying new cable apparently and must have known for some time that they would have to cut the power, but nobody said a dam_n word and restaurants and catering businesses, even Tesco have been caught totally unawares, not to mention the general public!

I'm editing this as apparently a car was running around Thong Sala informing people of the cut, but unfortunately in typical Thai style this was very hit and miss and we didn't all hear it. Pity they didn't start informing us a few days ago.

Edited by delgarcon

I also live in Koh Phangan and the power just turned on at 2:00PM. And, just like the previous poster stated, it is widely believed that the power will cut off again at 4:00PM today. What's more, it is expected that this will go on for the next three days. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I am hoping that this isn't the case... and that this gets sorted ASAP. So if any of you have the "inside track" on what's "really" going on with the power company, repairing the underground ocean cable, and when we can "really" expect things to be back to normal, I'd really, really appreciate the updates. THANKS!!!

What "government sources" exactly?

Links please!

Copies of PEA printed notices or real government websites are the only reliable sources of info. Let's stop all the rumors from friends of friends or "my Thai staff said they heard such as such...

The power has been out in Plai Leam since yesterday morning at 08:30 Today we received notification from EGAT that power would be rationed around the island and the time slots were listed. For Plai Leam it will be 2 hours from 18:00

They were waiting for a 'part' from Chiang Mai due to arrive on the island at 14:00 and that problem would be fixed by 23:00

This is all according to a letter received today from EGAT

Thanks

The power has been out in Plai Leam since yesterday morning at 08:30 Today we received notification from EGAT that power would be rationed around the island and the time slots were listed. For Plai Leam it will be 2 hours from 18:00

They were waiting for a 'part' from Chiang Mai due to arrive on the island at 14:00 and that problem would be fixed by 23:00

This is all according to a letter received today from EGAT

Thanks

Yes, I just heard the same regarding the rolling power outs, 14 hours off, 2 hours on, 14 hours off, until its fixed.

My GF just received an SMS in Thai from an unknown number saying "Power cable from the mainland to Samui exploded, tourists have left the island, and lost revenue is 10 Billion Baht" (Billion as with a B). I don't want to speculate about the reason or source behind this message, all I can say that the number seems off by at least a factor 100, providing most tourists who normally are here early December have cancelled or left, beacuse of the power outage. Anyone else got the same sms message?