Dual Nationality Child

:D

Hi all, can anyone help me here, hope its not a stupid question. I have just managed to get a europeean passport for my daughter born to my thai wife. What is the procedure when leaving the country and returning. How can she do this. Will she need a thai passport also (which she is entitled to as she has a thai birth certifcate and thai surname)

so she will be stamped out from donmuang and travel into the euro country on her europassport?

How exactly does it work? I'll bet the thai authorities would frown on her having two passports?

When she comes back into thailand she wont have any entry/exit stamps to the euro country in her thai passport. Wont this get nasty at immigration

Should she travel to malaysia first and then use her europassport for onward travel

I am sure there must be many other flangs with the same problem

your suggestions would be most gratefully received

btw it was a real performance getting her the euro passport but it can be done if you perservere. and of course it is vital for her future development.

now i will have to start trying to get her to speak english instead of the rough village language she has picked up so far (which my wife has to translate for me into central thai)

oh well :o

Its no problem, but she needs a Thai passport, when she leaves Thailand use her Thai passport, when she re-enters, use her Thai passport, once outside Thailand use her Euro passport, Thai immigration have no problem with a child having 2 passports (my daughter has two and the above is what we do)

Without a Thai passport if she re-enters Thailand she will be classed as a forigner and will need visa's etc, so get the Thai passport before she leaves Thailand

Children do not need a visa, if you are from a country that gets the auotmatic 30 day tourist visa, she can come and go on this for the time being. As long as you can prove her Thai stature, you are fine, even if not, there is no overstay fine for children travelling with their parents up to I think it is 15yo

When you leave Thailand though with her on your euro passport and if you have stayed over the 30 days, you need to have her birth, Thai, certificate with you, showing both parents and that is it.

My son has been here for 3 years on a tourist visa, when we leave the country, we show his birth certificate showing us both as parents and all is ok. I have done this twice, so know it works and no hassles.

I will get him a Thai passport when possible, but have to do it from home country. Then it is just as the above post states, leave and enter Los on the Thai passport and travel O/S on the euro one.

This has an added benefit I believe, but not sure for sure. If your child is entering Los on his/her thai passport, then he/she is awarded the rights of a thai citizen. While travelling O/S then they are given the rights of a person of whatever country their other passport happens to be.

I beleive that if any problems should arise, then getting help from your Euru embassy would be much much easier than a Thai one. And being in Thailand as a Thai would be much much more usefull than as a foreigner.

Its no problem, but she needs a Thai passport, when she leaves Thailand use her Thai passport, when she re-enters, use her Thai passport, once outside Thailand use her Euro passport, Thai immigration have no problem with a child having 2 passports (my daughter has two and the above is what we do)

Without a Thai passport if she re-enters Thailand she will be classed as a forigner and will need visa's etc, so get the Thai passport before she leaves Thailand

Phukets Siam’s response is spot on. I have more than a decade and a half worth of experience traveling between Thailand and the rest of the world this way…never a problem.

• 2 weeks later...