Hi Digital Nomads!

ITGabs

I just only saw this

http://jetsetcitizen...-digital-nomad/

Chiang Mai – The Digital Nomad Capital of the World

Chiang-Mai-Thailand.jpg

My wife and I have finally gotten settled in Chiang Mai, Thailand. We spent a few days in Bangkok and are now going to stay here for 7 weeks before heading to Australia.

It has been about 6 years since we have been to Thailand, but this is first time we made the trip up north to Chiang Mai.

I am a digital nomad!! i just want to keep in touch with more people in the same way to share good moments, tips, knowledge, or wherever etc.

Cheers!

Edited by ITGabs

In my words: professionals that work and travel using internet and network devices as a virtual office, working from different locations in the globe.

from Wikipedia

Digital nomads are individuals that leverage digital technologies to perform their work duties, and more generally conduct their lifestyle in a nomadic manner. Such workers typically work remotely—from home, coffee shops and public libraries to collaborate with teams across the globe.

Nomadic entrepreneurs & professionals often work as freelance writers, photographers, affiliate marketers, web designers, software developers, graphic designers, and other types of knowledge workers who can perform work duties irrespective of physical location. They frequently use new technologies like a smartphone, wifi, and web-based applications to enable their lifestyle, and earn an income wherever they live or travel. Digital nomads also often utilize coworking spaces and shared offices in major cities around the world.

My last job at office (as a example) was in Chile in a outsourcing company 5-6 years ago, But I am not a freelancer or that not work for me, I usually work fulltime remotely, as a virtual worker, with benefits, vacations etc, as a regular job with the only difference that I am virtual. I lived in Chile, Argentina, New Zealand and now in Thailand, probably I will move to Vietnam (cheap) or New Zealand (clean and nice for social)

I am a digitial nomad and every time I arrive in a new location

i curse google for blocking access with my Thunderbird client to my gmail accounts.

It is a real pain. :bah:

I have to go to web access and tell them it is really me

i curse google for blocking access with my Thunderbird client to my gmail accounts.

It is a real pain. bah.gif

Astral,

Are you using 2-step Authentication by any chance ?

Hi ITGabs. Nice to see you back on TV. Seems like you disappeared from the forum recently.

Hi Dork! Nice to read you again! and yes I've been a little busy

It is a real pain. bah.gif

I don't like google services since I almost lose one domain for the same reason (google checkout) I'll never trust again in they, I still use gmail but as a secondary account or backup

In my words: professionals that work and travel using internet and network devices as a virtual office, working from different locations in the globe.

Thanks. I called this Office nomads :)

I'm in the process of changing my office to be nomad. I mean by this that I would love to go back to traveling and have everything essential backed on the network. The idea is that I do not loose too much even if I would lost my computer and everything I have with me.

How do you do this?

What I have been thinking is something like this:

- Use Dropbox or Google Drive (they don't yet support native linux client) for essential documents and music files. 50GB should be more than enough.

- Pictures to the picasa, which can hold basically all the pictures which are less than 2048px in either dimension.

This way I would loose the original copies of the pictures if I don't do a heavy selection and keep the best originals on the dropbox storage.

Picasa is great, but it's fault is that it does not support hierarchical structure. It's all flat and slightly difficult to maintain.

I also have an micro server on Amazon (Singapore), which can be used as data storage. The cost is USD0.1 per GB per month. 50GB would cost USD5, which is comparable to dropbox cost.

I can copy my files with rsync to the server, but it's still not as convenient as dropbox.

For larger files (movies etc) it would be great to have peer sharing between nomads. Place an hard drive to friends home, which would be mostly static, but accessible via the internet. This would be an backup option when travel hard drive is lost.

Please share your knowledge how do you manage your data while you do not have static location.

Thanks. I called this Office nomads smile.png

I'm in the process of changing my office to be nomad. I mean by this that I would love to go back to traveling and have everything essential backed on the network. The idea is that I do not loose too much even if I would lost my computer and everything I have with me.

How do you do this?

What I have been thinking is something like this:

- Use Dropbox or Google Drive (they don't yet support native linux client) for essential documents and music files. 50GB should be more than enough.

- Pictures to the picasa, which can hold basically all the pictures which are less than 2048px in either dimension.

This way I would loose the original copies of the pictures if I don't do a heavy selection and keep the best originals on the dropbox storage.

Picasa is great, but it's fault is that it does not support hierarchical structure. It's all flat and slightly difficult to maintain.

I also have an micro server on Amazon (Singapore), which can be used as data storage. The cost is USD0.1 per GB per month. 50GB would cost USD5, which is comparable to dropbox cost.

I can copy my files with rsync to the server, but it's still not as convenient as dropbox.

For larger files (movies etc) it would be great to have peer sharing between nomads. Place an hard drive to friends home, which would be mostly static, but accessible via the internet. This would be an backup option when travel hard drive is lost.

Please share your knowledge how do you manage your data while you do not have static location.

Yes, is a pain that, I am actually the firestorm / security guy for two companies and I must carry all the important backups passwords with me in a safe way too. But I have access to the servers and I used as a backup since upload speed in a real emergency just suck, this is my own plan i use some hacks to hide the folders ./ / and ./ y: / and another hacking like stuff

I use dropbox and box.net plus ftp servers in a combination with TrueCrypt (I use True Crypt for fully encrypt my work laptop)

I use PortableApps.com so in a emergency I can create a work station with all that I need, I have a old server too with the same as a remote access, I have access to the router with ddwrt and I use WOL to turn on the server and taskbar click + ALT F4 to shutdown or hibernate.

My work Laptop have enogth resources to run many VMs and I was testing with a Linux portable in a botable external usb to use in infected computers (as another way to work)

I have everything dupicated or triplicated not music (280 GB) or movies at all (except something that really like or difficult to download from internet), only work and project stuff, and my pictures and videos (350 GB) I already lose 10 GB aprox in accidents, I use youtube as a online backup for 50% of the videos.

I have skype too with a number in US and worlwide subscription.

• 2 months later...