Teachers Terrified As Another Shot In The Back In Narathiwat

webfact

SOUTH CRISIS

Teachers terrified as another shot in the back in Narathiwat

The Nation

30195631-01_big.JPG

NARATHIWAT: -- Attacks on teachers continued yesterday as insurgents shot a teacher in the back just as he was leaving school in Narathiwat's Sungai Padi district.

Teerapon Chusongsaeng, 52, was rushed to Sungai Kolok hospital with two gunshot wounds and was in critical condition at press time.

Police said the teacher was heading home on a motorcycle when four men on two motorbikes followed and fired at him. Teerapon is the third teacher to be attacked in the province over the past two weeks. Two other teachers were shot dead before this latest attack.

Also yesterday, Sanguan Intarak, leader of the Federation of Narathiwat Teachers, said teaching staff in the province had decided to hold an urgent meeting today to discuss the mounting unrest and find ways to protect themselves more effectively.

Teachers are concerned about their safety after the principal of an elementary school in Nong Chik district was shot dead on November 22 and another teacher was gunned down on Monday night.

Chatsuda Nilsuwan, 33, was shot dead while heading home on a motorcycle from the Ban Tango elementary school in Joh I Rong district. This school had first been torched in an arson attack in April, which completely destroyed the main building, and since then classes have been held in the storeroom, canteen and makeshift tents.

More than 300 government schools in southern provinces of Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani decided to open their doors yesterday for the first time since the November 22 shooting. However, after a two-hour-long meeting yesterday, security authorities and representatives of teachers decided to keep 17 schools in three tambons in Narathiwat closed tomorrow and on Friday so students and teachers can attend Chatsuda's funeral in her home province of Yala. The 17 schools will open again on Tuesday since next Monday is a public holiday.

Separately, insurgents bombed a CD shop and the home of a police officer in Pattani's Yaring district on Monday night. The attacks left two people injured and four houses damaged.

Police were alerted at 9.45pm that a bomb had exploded at the CD shop and the home of Pol Captain Pong Obma, a deputy police chief of Yaring district.

Police officers discovered the debris of a motorcycle and remains of an explosive in front of the shop. The bomb apparently damaged the CD outlet as well as houses nearby rented by police officers. The explosion also slightly wounded the owner of the shop, Sangvien Tana, 61, and her daughter Hemmawan Kow, 35. Witnesses say that Sangvien was about to close the shop when four men on three motorcycles stopped by and two walked into the shop asking to rent CDs. However, Sangvien told the men, who kept their helmets on, that she was closing up. The two men then continued to make small talk with her while their other two companions positioned an explosive on a shelf before leaving.

Police said another motorcycle fitted with explosives was later parked outside the police captain's home nearby. The bomb inside the shop exploded about three minutes after the men left and the motorcycle bomb outside the police officer's house went off about 10 minutes later.

Correction

Please note that Imam Abdullateh Todir is not a member of BRNCoordinate, as stated in the fourth paragraph of yesterday's article "Murders, bombs strike at peace talks". The paragraph should have read as follows:

Leaders of the longstanding separatist movement said Thailand could not talk about peace, while at the same time turning a blind eye to the targeted killing of Abdullateh Todir - an imam of a community mosque in Tambon Patae, a major redzone area in Yala's Yaha district - said a senior member of the Barisan Revolusi NasionalCoordinate (BRNC), an organisation that continues to boycott meetings with Thai authorities.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-12-05

Why don't the Gov just shoot the Murders down there?

Now that's a novel idea. I'll drink to that.

It seems quite clear that any initiatives to reconcile are pretty much useless. That leaves 2 options:

1. Continue as is with nil effectivity.

2. Get rid of the cancer. Eliminate the threat.

I will also drink to that.

• Like 2

IMHO the persons committing these crimes were most likely educated in madrasas, and that education has left them ill-equipped and unable to compete in the local work force.

Resentment of their poor economic success leads to susceptibility of seeing being a "revolutionary" as a status increase (in their own mind at least).

Is it any wonder that the instigators of the violence target schools with a more comprehensive curriculum to perpetuate the cycle?

Amongst other things Thaksin tried a heavy handed approach down south that may TV posters complained about - now the tide has turned and some TV posters are suggesting just that approach, what short memories

Could it be they are not the same posters? I can't remember back that far.

• Like 1

The Government and the authorities have neither the will nor ability to fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

The community is and has been living in fear for several years now and these idiots are still trying to negotiate a peace.

The answer is strict military and police intervention and marshal law if needed, however, having said that you would need to have a well trained and disiplined force to ensure success and this country is sadly lacking in either. .

The south is being held to ransom by an ignorant bunch of scum who pray on the weak with impunity and there is little being done about it. The authorities are inept cowards and buffalo. You can not defuse a ticking time bomb by talking to it.

The Government and authorities have an equal responsibility for the endless loss of life as do the perpetrators.

• Like 1

come on Thailand do not go the way of the west, Tough penalties are needed even the death penalty as a harsh reminder to those who may be considering it.

Teachers are the ones who help shape future for your children. You still have children going to school in uniform & not Nike, & reebok, & as you like. Police presence is the best solution for now hunt own those responsible nothing more than animals .

• Like 1

Frankly if they really wanted to end this they could I believe.

Thailand supposedly has Special Forces, use them.

Get them down there and recon the dnager zones and then act upon the recon, start eliminating the threat.

Not just the foot soldiers but their leaders, hence the recon, phone surveilance etc.

I am sure if they asked they could get help from Armies with experience in this sort of warfare.

It is impossible to negotiate with terrorists from a position of weakness which is now the situation.

• Like 1

My present regular FL (she has a day job in Pattaya), 25yo, plans to enlist in the Royal Thai Army as soon as they recruit again early next year in Narathiwat.

Only volunteers serve there. With danger bonus the pay is about doubled.

If accepted she intends to make a career in the RTA. She has two years uni in Law and a nurse certificate.

Send down some of the 50,000 police - the ones in blue beret's with coloured scarves - and set about house by house searches, establish and record ID's and registration details of all vehicles and match both up. This continued killing of teachers (and monks) by mindless imbeciles is tantamount to condoning the act by doing bugger all and following the continued 'path to reconcilliation' which is getting more people and property destroyed. These 'separatists' (a.k.a. insurgents) are the scum of the earth and need to be taken out with extreme prejudice ASAP. By removing teachers and schools - removing education - clearly shows the path of control they wish to impose on the community.

ASIA Watcher.

You are spot on my friend.

TOTALLY agree with what you say.

BUT what will happen-- NOTHING-- TIT.

clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Doesn't work. While I'm a believer of removing lives that would mark the end of a problem, this just doesn't work, It worsens it, the next generation grow up filled with even more hate and self proff that what there fathers where doing must of been right, the IRA effect.

Reconciliation is the best methode, but, (a big but) like aseawatcher has writern, mona tearing and extreme servalance is crucial, Inteligence agency's/ divisions, must be in a constant know of everything, with the use of the most effective ways of gathering Inteligence.

Yes, there will more blood shed, but, that is enevatable, trying to fight this fire with fire will only result in a ack draft.

Amongst other things Thaksin tried a heavy handed approach down south that may TV posters complained about - now the tide has turned and some TV posters are suggesting just that approach, what short memories

Then he did NOT try too HARD.

Did he.

Then he did NOT try too HARD.

Did he.

Certainly not hard enough.

I would guess that the TV posters that complained about the approach don't live there either!

...is this an attack on Thai society......I do not understand....a hard-working 'Joe'.......

...are they anti-Muslim because they work as teachers.....

....or is it just to unsettle everyone........

(If someone could explain, I would appreciate it)

....teaching is a monumental, thankless job to begin with....

I asked this in a previous thread already but never got an answer.

For which reason do these people target teachers?

I believe thay are targetting teachers in Government schools, emphasis on the Government.

I may be wrong but thats what I was led to understand.

IMHO it has to do with the quality of education, and the lack of emphasis on religion. Hard to believe, but a Thai government school will actually give you much more of the basics to succeed than a heavily religion biased madrasa, including reading and writing the national language. For that reason, moderate muslims may actually prefer a government school.

And if you don't pound in the religion while they are young, they will not accept it later. As the Jesuits say "Give me the child until he is seven............"

Frankly if they really wanted to end this they could I believe.

Thailand supposedly has Special Forces, use them.

Get them down there and recon the dnager zones and then act upon the recon, start eliminating the threat.

Not just the foot soldiers but their leaders, hence the recon, phone surveilance etc.

I am sure if they asked they could get help from Armies with experience in this sort of warfare.

It is impossible to negotiate with terrorists from a position of weakness which is now the situation.

I recall that a Special Forces regiment (cannot remember if this is the correct unit size) has been or shortly will be deployed to the Deep South. The question to ask is why has it taken so many years to get this capability sent to the Deep South. Let's not forget the embedded corruption within the army, police and politicians who will be financially benefiting from this conflict.

Thai Special Forces do train with elite units from other countries. Also Army & police personnel receive training overseas. As a reminder take a look at a paper written by a Thai Army Colonel reviewing the situation in the Deep South who attended the Centre for Defence and Strategic Studies at the Australian Defence College. http://www.defence.g...d_Nurakkate.pdf

Doesn't work. While I'm a believer of removing lives that would mark the end of a problem, this just doesn't work, It worsens it, the next generation grow up filled with even more hate and self proff that what there fathers where doing must of been right, the IRA effect.

Reconciliation is the best methode, but, (a big but) like aseawatcher has writern, mona tearing and extreme servalance is crucial, Inteligence agency's/ divisions, must be in a constant know of everything, with the use of the most effective ways of gathering Inteligence.

Yes, there will more blood shed, but, that is enevatable, trying to fight this fire with fire will only result in a ack draft.

Good points.

Get the intelligence in place as has been said.

Determine who the leaders are and gather good evidence.

Then the dawn raid and lock em all up and take to trial and make it quick but just.

If found guilty, huge fines and life sentences without the possibility of parole in the hardest prisons.

Would it be inhumane to start them off in solitary to give them time to reflect upon their actions?

The families of the perpetration should be made to suffer as have the families of the people that they have murdered.

They should be left in no doubt that their behaviour is not acceptable and will no longer be tolerated.

Keep the intel in place and repeat the procedure.

Do not turn them into martyrs. but keep up the offensive for as long as it takes.

I believe thay are targetting teachers in Government schools, emphasis on the Government.

To add to the post the Thai government has only provided a few teachers who can communicate in the local language & this lack of action is perceived to be a deliberately endeavor by central government in Bangkok to undermine the traditional culture and language. Because of this, allegedly, teachers are viewed as being representatives of central government policy and are targeted. No knowledge if those teachers being murdered of injured cannot/will not communicate in the local language at the schools.

Edited by simple1

To add to the post the Thai government has only provided a few teachers who can communicate in the local language & this lack of action is perceived to be a deliberately endeavor by central government in Bangkok to undermine the traditional culture and language. Because of this, allegedly, teachers are viewed as being representatives of central government policy and are targeted. No knowledge if those teachers being murdered of injured cannot/will not communicate in the local language at the schools.

The local lanuage in Thailand is Thai isn't it.

Or do you mean that this is another case of muslim terrorists who claim, as they do in many parts of the planet earth, that a particulat part of a country where they live now has to be different from the rest of that country, only to satisfy their own believes.

• Like 1

The local lanuage in Thailand is Thai isn't it.

Or do you mean that this is another case of muslim terrorists who claim, as they do in many parts of the planet earth, that a particulat part of a country where they live now has to be different from the rest of that country, only to satisfy their own believes.

I have to agree, the language in Thailand is Thai.

If they wish to speak their local language/dialect fine, schools should teach at a national level. What they speak out of school is irrelevant, up to them.

I lived in the Netherlands where many different dialects (Limburg) and language (Fries) are spoken.

However the school curriculum was always in Dutch the national language.

Also how is only speaking their local language going to help if they want to work in say Bangkok?