Samui & Phangan Still Without Power For 2Nd Day .story Continues With Updated Info & Suggestions.

You proof once more that you missed the point in this case Big C

the point is that i am pissed off about not having electric for a while. also i don;t understand why for this reason i am not alloud to complain .

someone is to blame and i curtianly had nothing to do with it.

i do not understand why compaining and moaning about being stuc to deal with the heat fridges going hot. no air con, and a load of other stuff. the toruists to be honest i am not really bothered about they go to the back of the cue because they can get up and leave but for those of us that ive here and have to stick with it i would like to know that someone has been blamed and they are taking measures to make sure that this is unliley to happen again

just because it happened in New York does not make an excuse. 2 wrong dont make a right

Join the queue about being pissed off, you're not alone. I also see no problem about complaining, just make sur that you understand the various chains of command and who's responsible for what. Complain to the right people but don't randomly start blaming people who can't really change anything or who have no control or say over certain events.

• Like 2

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only now, the governer can use the 'emergency budget' to buy huge generators from his mates and say "This is in case there is another cuck-up from maintenance" insted of sayng "building of hotels is out of control and I got the power requirements wrong!"

Not bought, on loan (rented I imagine) from other parts of Thailand. Nothing is spent on infrastructure so in the end it goes bang like the floods last March.

I hadn't thought of that. Well done. Rented - even better for 'reimbursing the boys'. The gift that tax payers keep on giving? thumbsup.gif

The time of centralized power generation is OVER!

I'm working for a renewable energy company selling, building and/or operating environmental friendly and carbon neutral Gasification power Plants. Yes, these plants are rather small, only a few Megawatt at the time are economical. But the idea is to have a lot of spread over all Thailand. With this, nobody would need the big coal/gas/oil fired plants anymore which damage our environment and health. Oh, and by the way, no more stupid power cuts anymore...

Sounds good but we need more solar power generators on these islands with so much sun exposure!

I'm working for a renewable energy company selling, building and/or operating environmental friendly and carbon neutral Gasification power Plants. Yes, these plants are rather small, only a few Megawatt at the time are economical. But the idea is to have a lot of spread over all Thailand. With this, nobody would need the big coal/gas/oil fired plants anymore which damage our environment and health. Oh, and by the way, no more stupid power cuts anymore...

Sounds good but we need more solar power generators on these islands with so much sun exposure!

I am doing solar business on Samui but solar power wont solve the problem because the peak load occurs in the evening. To reduce the peak load which can lead to another burnt main cable it is necessary that electric heaters, electric stoves and pool pumps are not being used during peak load from 6 to 8 pm. Furthermore all halogen spots and high power garden lights should be replaced by LED.

Last year we were asked to reduce power consumption between 6pm and 8pm and that the resorts with generators used them, instead of the grid. That was Okay. We can all do something by switching off aircons, poolpumps etc. for a couple of hours or more, and be sensible with lighting (switch some off or change to saver-bulbs).

• Like 2

I am doing solar business on Samui but solar power wont solve the problem because the peak load occurs in the evening. To reduce the peak load which can lead to another burnt main cable it is necessary that electric heaters, electric stoves and pool pumps are not being used during peak load from 6 to 8 pm. Furthermore all halogen spots and high power garden lights should be replaced by LED.

Last year we were asked to reduce power consumption between 6pm and 8pm and that the resorts with generators used them, instead of the grid. That was Okay. We can all do something by switching off aircons, poolpumps etc. for a couple of hours or more, and be sensible with lighting (switch some off or change to saver-bulbs).

It would be nice if there was a restriction on building new resorts until there was suficient infrastructure. it's patently ridiculous to keep building them and

then not having the power to supply them. I don't expect it in this lifetime but it would seem sensible.

Last year, resorts were offered free gasoline for their generatorsif they used them at certain times. Why not a similar incentive for 'the man in the street'?whistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

I've just been told that there will not be another, prolonged power outage... Source a PEA manager,.... whistling.gif .... I really don't know whether to believe him or not!!!!!

(the two days that was announced by trucks yesterday, was paid for by those trying to sell generators... crazy.gif .... so a possible hoax??? ) blink.png

It does not explain why there are large generator trucks dotted around the island, two that I know of in Maenam .... perhaps PEA covering their You Know Whats! .... just in case. so the hit-the-fan.gifdon't hit the fan !!!! whistling.gif

Although neighbours still saying local TV news says outages will be 13th and 14th .... I could not get an answer as to why power went out in certain areas last night.... rolleyes.gif

It's a waiting game of .... wait and see..... wacko.png

I hope people out there will stop all this stupid rumers about elektric-cut. I think this is a too serius matter to make joke about. In Bangkok Post today the PEA offered 1 hole page for apologize for the 3 days of power blackout on the 2 islands. And they also explain how the situation will be in the coming peak season and next 3 months.

I hope people out there will stop all this stupid rumers about elektric-cut. I think this is a too serius matter to make joke about. In Bangkok Post today the PEA offered 1 hole page for apologize for the 3 days of power blackout on the 2 islands. And they also explain how the situation will be in the coming peak season and next 3 months.

Both the PEA and the local administration seems to have a lack of knowledge on how much the demand for electricity has risen in the last years. Working with Thai engineers from time to time (a nightmare) it is not surprising for me - they just do not get the whole picture.

3 days of power blackout on the 2 islands.

4 days, was almost exactly 96 hours.

That must be because you live in the back woods of Lamai, then.... ? wink.pngwhistling.gif

100% stable since the power came back on after the 'winter of discontent'. About time too because 10 years ago Lamai was the worst hit area on the island.

All the mobile gensets are property of the PEA. Nothing to do with the major.

That's spoilt my conspiracy theory - but there must be a connection in there somewhere, surely? blink.png

All the mobile gensets are property of the PEA. Nothing to do with the major.

That's spoilt my conspiracy theory - but there must be a connection in there somewhere, surely? blink.png

Why don't you ask Big C tongue.png

3 days of power blackout on the 2 islands.

4 days, was almost exactly 96 hours.

That must be because you live in the back woods of Lamai, then.... ? wink.pngwhistling.gif

100% stable since the power came back on after the 'winter of discontent'. About time too because 10 years ago Lamai was the worst hit area on the island.

Not stable everywhere.

Pointy end of Plai Laem out for 20 minutes today and Bophut out last night.

Both the PEA and the local administration seems to have a lack of knowledge on how much the demand for electricity has risen in the last years. Working with Thai engineers from time to time (a nightmare) it is not surprising for me - they just do not get the whole picture.

They do have knowledge (according to a newspaper article last August).

At peak times, Samui needs 105 Megawatts. We receive 90 Megawatts. Hence the 'odd' power cut at peak times.

The articla can be found at (if I am allowed to show it)

http://www.thephuket...power-32631.php

The problem is that no one wants to be seen to be spreading doom and gloom and upsetting tourists.

They do have knowledge (according to a newspaper article last August).

At peak times, Samui needs 105 Megawatts. We receive 90 Megawatts. Hence the 'odd' power cut at peak times.

The articla can be found at (if I am allowed to show it)

http://www.thephuket...power-32631.php

The problem is that no one wants to be seen to be spreading doom and gloom and upsetting tourists.

Why post that CRAP from a report dated back in August. You either dont live here; or you are a very old aged pensioner with nothing to do apart from winge; OR you are from the PEA that can tell us exact information. Bless you sir or maybe madame

Why post that CRAP from a report dated back in August. You either dont live here; or you are a very old aged pensioner with nothing to do apart from winge; OR you are from the PEA that can tell us exact information. Bless you sir or maybe madame

I don't know Trop but he/she certainly knows his/her stuff. As the Sun goes down the tourists head back to their hotel etc. after the beach and switch on the aircon as well as shower using hot water which both require power. During high season the consumption at this time spikes big time and the availability of said power is just not there.

• Like 2

Well - that was a usefull contribution to the thread (NOT)hit-the-fan.gif

The report may be dated August - but the facts remain the same. Peak time for power usage is 18.00 to 20.00. Samui will have problems meeting demand until additional lines are installed from the mainland. Expect power outages (we are having them daily in different areas).

All of your assumptions about me are incorrect so I guess that your opinion is pretty inconsequential. wink.png

• Like 2

This doesn't make any sense to me.

In Australia solar power works well and it gets dark there too. You just need to store the solar power generated electricity in a battery bank. There are many instances whereby excess electricity is generated and fed back into the grid. The electricity company pays you for it!

In Australia solar power works well and it gets dark there too. You just need to store the solar power generated electricity in a battery bank. There are many instances whereby excess electricity is generated and fed back into the grid. The electricity company pays you for it!

Yes, but batteries are too expensive in a larger scale. We are talking here about a gap of some MW during peak load which is in the evening unfortunately. A 10 MW solar farm will produce 10 MW from about 11 AM to 3 PM and 0 MW after 6 PM.

Sorry Claude - I did not see your post

The restriction is the 'pipe' carrying the electricity. We can only receive 90 megawatts from the mainland.

Even if the electric company was to pay people for solar power(which it currently does not) - they still could not give it back to users in Samui. Unless (and we get to your first point )....

.......they store it here.

That is one huge battery (stack).

However, the multiple (temporary) large generators placed around the island are probable being switched on-line as power shortages happen. Maybe this is why we currently have less frequent, shorter power outages than the two hour ones first mentioned by the local boys.

But I could be wrong whistling.gif but that would be a logical thing to do. thumbsup.gif

Edited by Tropicalevo

The restriction is the 'pipe' carrying the electricity. We can only receive 90 megawatts from the mainland.

Even if the electric company was to pay people for solar power(which it currently does not) - they still could not give it back to users in Samui. Unless (and we get to your first point )....

However, the multiple (temporary) large generators placed around the island are probable being switched on-line as power shortages happen. Maybe this is why we currently have less frequent, shorter power outages than the two hour ones first mentioned by the local boys.

But I could be wrong whistling.gif but that would be a logical thing to do. thumbsup.gif

Claude - I'm not talking about a larger scale. In Australia ii's on a house by house basis. I decide I want solar electricity and put in a solar system with my own personal battery bank. My next door neighbour decides against it. It costs me capital but my house value increases and I pay no electricity bills. Power cuts do not affect me. I will even get paid for supplying the grid any excess electricity I generate. It costs him no capital, but his house is less desirable and he continues to pay ever increasing electricity bills. As they say here - "up to you"!

Edited by easyas

In Australia ii's on a house by house basis. I decide I want solar electricity and put in a solar system with my own personal battery bank. My next door neighbour decides against it. It costs me capital but my house value increases and I pay no electricity bills. Power cuts do not affect me. I will even get paid for supplying the grid any excess electricity I generate. It costs him no capital, but his house is less desirable and he continues to pay ever increasing electricity bills. As they say here - "up to you"!

There is sadly no provision for selling excess electricity in Thailand.

Recent topic http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/548865-where-i-can-buy-solar-cells-in-thailand/

Edited by notmyself

So how many people in Oz use solar panels? not many I bet.... except perhaps in the "out back"..? .whistling.gif

There are two places around Samui I have seen using solar power, one is the new Temple above Lamai , the other a resort on one of the islands off the west coast of Thaling Gnam area... (Koh Som, I think it is).. probably more around too....

It's a good idea, but until the world get off the greed or need for fossil fuel, it's not going to be a viable option.... although parts of China seem to be making a bit of an effort... thumbsup.gif