Samui & Phangan Still Without Power For 2Nd Day .story Continues With Updated Info & Suggestions.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High voltage cables are a strange thing and failures do create massive effects .

Nonsense.

Why are you making excuses for the incompetence and the arrogance with which public servants treat the population here.

If the equipment was used within its limits and underwent the correct maintenance by properly trained engineers then it wouldnt fail.

It doesnt fail in Paris, It doesnt fail in Tokyo and it doesnt fail in Hong Kong. So why has it failed in Koh samui, and why, after 3 days have they not been repaired. I read that the one engineer who could solve the problem had to be flown down from Chiang Rai, (was he busy repairing underwater cables there too?)

Is Samui so impoverished it cant afford to maintain its infrastructure, cant afford to pay for competent engineers to look after its systems?

Did anybody notice that when the Skytrain was built in BKK it was not engineered by Thais? It was a German company subcontracted to do the construction. The level of traing and education here in Thailand was always adequate within the everyday TV and newspaper realm of a small, proud nation, but now that Thailand finds itself interfacing more and more with first word competence, awareness and expectations, the government and its media are becoming constantly embarrased and losing international face more and more.

Fifteen or 20 years ago the. govt could get away with saying or doing whatever it pleased. But, SCARY MONSTER, the internet and WWW have. utterly kicked their legas away.

"Responsible spokesmen" are still desperately continuing to make up "statistics" and facts and figures (ie normally 20,000 tourists here - now there are 1,000) seemingly unaware that then entire rest of the world is watching via online sources, and able to access databases and TAT stats, andlaughing at their transparently idioticic nonsense.

One poster here mentioned HK, Singapore and somewhere else with a similar problem that would be a simple routine fix, never make the news and be done overnight. Absolutely true. But these are countries that don't hang their HT mains cables from trees and poles, all tangled together with the cable TV and phone lines, and joined with wire and sticky tape. These countries also don't produce university graduates who put a Band Aid on their faces when they have a toothache or consider "fresh" juice to be a can that they only bought yesterday.

Every month, little by little and more and more, poor little Thailand, a country. for generations so proud of being independent and separate from the rest of the world, is now begining to discover that this is no good thing.

There is only so far you can go in the international community making total cock-ups and then blathering pathetically to try to save face. And every time it happens this lovely, happy, carefree nation is shooting itself in the foot again and again. But it's cheap and sunny here, so what the heck!

R

Rob, you are getting more cynical every day. You have to look at this in a completely different way; do you like watching clowns at the circus, or tv comedies like Family Guy? Well you are now living in that! How cool is that? I am having a laugh a minute, and it got better and better every year, since the 9 years I am now here. Truly Amazing Thailand.

I thought the fusbal stadium fiasco was bad enough. This is hilarious.

Nathon on grid sind 2 AM

Went for a chat to the PEA yesterday evebing, two nice, young ladies (surely not decision makers) told me that PEA would try to connect whole Samui this night... keep the fingers crossed.

I just mentioned in the post above Claude, seems that all is back to normal.

Same my area of Maenam, on about 4 am, seems to be several electric grids in Maenam area.....so power on or off at different times on different Sois".

Even have internet again....thumbsup.gif DTAC phone showing full signal first time, in days! .... (AIS 1to call, apparently been only service that has not been down)

Will it last more than the usual 2 hours this time,? ..... That is the question!

Ban Tai, power from 02.00-04.15 (thanks for the 15 minutes more:))

Bang Por since 04.15, expected to be off again at 06,00. News in TV says (source channel 3), power off till next midnight. Don't know what and who to believe anymore. All is like a joke, but really bad for some businesses...

Better be leaving the island for a couple of days until all returns to normal.

Nathon on grid sind 2 AM

Went for a chat to the PEA yesterday evebing, two nice, young ladies (surely not decision makers) told me that PEA would try to connect whole Samui this night... keep the fingers crossed.

Seems that the two nice ladies at PEA knew what was going on. Just nobody ever asked them until Claude did? Too low on the totem pole!

I think 7 minutes? Or are all areas on right now?

As I previously posted , from where I am, Bophut, Chaweng ,KPG were all on & still on.

We weren't supposed to get power back till 6am but has been back from around 4am.

2 minutes to go & see if it's only temp.

just at the news, (channel 3 again) said, power should be restored by 05.00 am this morning. here in bang por still have power since 04.15 am

lets wait a couple of minutes more, if it stays on, then all will be returning to normal.

it seems to be okay... happy days...no need to leave the iskland anymore... :) :)

Nathon on grid sind 2 AM

Seems that the two nice ladies at PEA knew what was going on. Just nobody ever asked them until Claude did? Too low on the totem pole!

CH3: So far nothing has been repaired, they expect (!) to get the job done until 11th. Let us see what the mobile gensets can supply...

• Like 1

2 hours electric for cooking ? laundry ? get water from the well

they sure forgot how to use charcoal like they still do in most of thailand or does most cooking not happen on gas for those resorts?

laundry can do with your hands and a bucket also ,surely dont need a dryer

and attach a rope to the bucket and haul up some water from the well like that

they sure forgot how to use charcoal like they still do in most of thailand or does most cooking not happen on gas for those resorts?

Yeah, right.

"Dear Valued Guest.

We would like to welcome you to this delightful tropical paradise resort and thank you for the 30,000 baht you've paid into our account.

You'll find that your room has been equipped with a box of matches and a big bag of charcoal for when you want that candle-light dinner.

There is also a top-quality length of fine hemp rope if you need to wash - the well has it's own bucket and it's just over there.

A laundry service is constantly available - just use the tin-on-a-string to call reception and we'll supply you with your own personal flat rock

to whack your clothes against prior to slinging them on the roof of your hut to dry.

We wish you a pleasant and truly Natural stay,

The Management."

who says thailand has no adventure anymore

Yeah, right.

"Dear Valued Guest.

We would like to welcome you to this delightful tropical paradise resort and thank you for the 30,000 baht you've paid into our account.

You'll find that your room has been equipped with a box of matches and a big bag of charcoal for when you want that candle-light dinner.

There is also a top-quality length of fine hemp rope if you need to wash - just attach it to the bucket handle (the well has it's own bucket and it's just over there).

A laundry service is constantly available - just use the tin-on-a-string to call reception and we'll supply you with your own personal flat rock to whack your clothes against,

prior to slinging them on the roof of your hut to dry.

We wish you a pleasant and truly rustic Natural stay,

The Management."

It's called Eco tourism..... whistling.gifbiggrin.png

• Like 1