Samui & Phangan Still Without Power For 2Nd Day .story Continues With Updated Info & Suggestions.

All of the reporting is a crock of schite.

A quick calculation on three days of Bandit Airways, Firefly, Silkair and Thai to all destination from samui shows that the maximum number of passengers would be just over 7,000 for the three days. This would asssume that there are no locals with pre-booked seats, every plane was empty, and the 'fleeing' tourists started leaving BEFORE the power cut on Tuesday.

There are not enough flights to get 20,000 people off the island in three days. (Oh yeh - I can see them taking the ferries in their thousands as well - NOT.)

• Like 1

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You proof once more that you missed the point in this case Big C

the point is that i am pissed off about not having electric for a while. also i don;t understand why for this reason i am not alloud to complain .

someone is to blame and i curtianly had nothing to do with it.

i do not understand why compaining and moaning about being stuc to deal with the heat fridges going hot. no air con, and a load of other stuff. the toruists to be honest i am not really bothered about they go to the back of the cue because they can get up and leave but for those of us that ive here and have to stick with it i would like to know that someone has been blamed and they are taking measures to make sure that this is unliley to happen again

just because it happened in New York does not make an excuse. 2 wrong dont make a right

post fm Community On-line Pin Board Koh Samui (Facebook) about an hour ago ...

XXXXXXX Link removed

I have just heard, there are trucks going around stating there will be power disruptions from tomorrow for the next 3 days! Just when we thought it was all over :-(

Edited by Rooo

I was playing football at the Samui Arena at 810pm when the lights went out. Strangely, across the other side of the road all the power was ok, but out all along the same side of the road as the football arena.

Then driving home, there were random little pockets of blackouts all along the route. After living here a few years now Im quite used to which areas are on which part of the grid, and where the boundaries are from area to area. I've never seen it like it is/was tonight.

Luckily we are ok at home (Ghost Road area), which is quite a nice surprise as we are normally the 1st to lose power.

I was playing football at the Samui Arena at 810pm when the lights went out. Strangely, across the other side of the road all the power was ok, but out all along the same side of the road as the football arena.

Then driving home, there were random little pockets of blackouts all along the route. After living here a few years now Im quite used to which areas are on which part of the grid, and where the boundaries are from area to area. I've never seen it like it is/was tonight.

Luckily we are ok at home (Ghost Road area), which is quite a nice surprise as we are normally the 1st to lose power.

Shh!!

I live just a few doors from you !

Right.

All the Thai spokespeople seem to just make it up as they go along. (Good luck to 'em - make hay while the sun is shining (every day) as when they find themselves with the ASEAN big boys they really are going to have permanently crusted egg on faces . . .)

So it's impossible to believe anything the Thais have been saying, as much of it is obvious nonsense and they all seem to be flapping like headless gai baan.

And then there's rumour, gossip and opinion flying around - some of it undoubtedly grounded in truth, other bits under the guise of authoritative speculation.

SO - please jump in and change, modify and add to this to your hearts content - the situation seems to be . . .

1a. Five years back the existing underwater cable from the mainland to Samui was supplemented by a second cable which could handle a bigger load and the two of them were used together. OR:

1b. The main cable took over completely with the old one just lying there unused.

1c. It would seem that there are actually more than just these two cables, according to some of the posts - however . . .

2. The main big cable has gone bang for whatever reason.

2a. This main cable now has been found to have more than just the one fault and is now not being used or repaired further.

2c. There is already a new/upgraded cable on order but it's coming from Europe and will take a while - maybe months.

3. Over the last few days of the power-out the old cable(s) was re-connected/used but it was not able to cope with the full load so power was rationed area by area.

4. To supplement this there has been an unknown number of mobile heavy-duty generator trucks brought to Samui and plugged into the grid.

5. This has coped with the current power demands (more or less - a few blips on and off) since last Friday.

And This seems to be the way things are at the moment - anyone like to correct me or add anything?

If so, what makes me raise an eyebrow is that this is the low low low season with nobody here, yet even so the power is stuttering and popping off and on again.

Do these cheery chappy government smugsters realise than in just over a week the estimated 20,000 current visitors will swell overnight to 200,000?

TEN TIMES more daily power use and with thousands of aircon units banging away all night, and at around 5.30 pm each day, fifty thousand air units and hot showers all being run at the same time? Are a handful of generator trucks enough?

Maybe the "end of the world" on the 21st December means the end of Samui's tourism as we know it . . . as the island is plunged into chaos over Christmas and with all the diesel being siphoned off for the election trucks and tens of thousands of totally miffed visitors . . . p0214.gif p0214.gif p0214.gif p0214.gif Remember that diesel had run out at gas stations last week after only three days and with just one-tenth of the demand that there is going to be soon . . . and this mob of 200,000 have planned to be here for a lot longer than just three days . . .

R

Edited by robsamui

Here in Ban Makham (close to Nathon) power was out for an hour or so.

I really need a UPS now.w00t.gif

My house has been filled with jars of cooking oil with shoelaces stuck in them. Had a power-out in my spur of Mae Nam from 8:00 to 10:00 tonight and it looked ever so pretty.

If anyone knows how to run a TV using cooking oil, give me a shout.

R

To supplement this there has been an unknown number of mobile heavy-duty generator trucks brought to Samui and plugged into the grid.

Days to Songkran, to the Chinese New Year, households per generator? Petrol gennies left at HomePro? Probably you mean there have been 35 generators brought in?

Well, if so, they are going to need 350 in the very near future . . . and not only that the supermarkets still have a ton of empty shelves from last week and just three days of power out . . . I reckon that at the weekend I'm going to go and buy quite a few thousand baht's worth of basics before the hordes arrive (Sang Som, candles, Coke, biscuits, candles, car battery and half a dozen 10W sidelight bulbs, candles, Sang Som, crisps, milk and polystyrene box, candles, new gas cylinder - and fill my car and motorbikes right up so that I can use them as generators to run the 12V 10W sidelight bulbs that will be wired in round my house. Oh and 3 or 4 long mains extension reels too.)

R

Edited by robsamui

Right.

All the Thai spokespeople seem to just make it up as they go along. (Good luck to 'em - make hay while the sun is shining (every day) as when they find themselves with the ASEAN big boys they really are going to have permanently crusted egg on faces . . .)

So it's impossible to believe anything the Thais have been saying, as much of it is obvious nonsense and they all seem to be flapping like headless gai baan.

And then there's rumour, gossip and opinion flying around - some of it undoubtedly grounded in truth, other bits under the guise of authoritative speculation.

SO - please jump in and change, modify and add to this to your hearts content - the situation seems to be . . .

1a. Five years back the existing underwater cable from the mainland to Samui was supplemented by a second cable which could handle a bigger load and the two of them were used together. OR:

1b. The main cable took over completely with the old one just lying there unused.

1c. It would seem that there are actually more than just these two cables, according to some of the posts - however . . .

2a. This main cable now has been found to have more than just the one fault and is now not being used or repaired further.

2c. There is already a new/upgraded cable on order but it's coming from Europe and will take a while - maybe months.

3. Over the last few days of the power-out the old cable(s) was re-connected/used but it was not able to cope with the full load so power was rationed area by area.

4. To supplement this there has been an unknown number of mobile heavy-duty generator trucks brought to Samui and plugged into the grid.

5. This has coped with the current power demands (more or less - a few blips on and off) since last Friday.

And This seems to be the way things are at the moment - anyone like to correct me or add anything?

If so, what makes me raise an eyebrow is that this is the low low low season with nobody here, yet even so the power is stuttering and popping off and on again.

Do these cheery chappy government smugsters realise than in just over a week the estimated 20,000 current visitors will swell overnight to 200,000?

TEN TIMES more daily power use and with thousands of aircon units banging away all night, and at around 5.30 pm each day, fifty thousand air units and hot showers all being run at the same time? Are a handful of generator trucks enough?

Maybe the "end of the world" on the 21st December means the end of Samui's tourism as we know it . . . as the island is plunged into chaos over Christmas and with all the diesel being siphoned off for the election trucks and tens of thousands of totally miffed visitors . . . p0214.gif p0214.gif p0214.gif p0214.gif Remember that diesel had run out at gas stations last week after only three days and with just one-tenth of the demand that there is going to be soon . . . and this mob of 200,000 have planned to be here for a lot longer than just three days . . .

R

Hi Rob - you over-complicate things.

1 There was a cable to KS. We built more hotels. There is not enough electricity.

2 We put in a second cable to KS. We built more hotels. There is not enough electricity.

3 We have a budget to put in a third cable to KS. We are still building more hotels. It will not be enough - but wait. Bandit Airways cannot get more people onto the island. So maybe - it will be enough?

We need to carry out maintenance on the second cable. It goes wrong. 3 days - no power. We fix it, but wait - look at #2. Even though we have fixed the cable, we still do not have enough power coming into KS.

Low low season makes little difference. From what I have seen - the hotels have large a/c usage whether the bedrooms are occupied or not! (Common areas, bars, restuarants etc) The maids/maintenance always put the a/c on cold anyway.

The 'disruptions' that are being blamed on recent events are similar to those that we had previously. See

http://www.thephuket...power-32631.php

Only now, the governer can use the 'emergency budget' to buy huge generators from his mates and say "This is in case there is another cuck-up from maintenance" insted of sayng "building of hotels is out of control and I got the power requirements wrong!"

Right.

R

Hi Rob - you over-complicate things.

1 There was a cable to KS. We built more hotels. There is not enough electricity.

2 We put in a second cable to KS. We built more hotels. There is not enough electricity.

3 We have a budget to put in a third cable to KS. We are still building more hotels. It will not be enough - but wait. Bandit Airways cannot get more people onto the island. So maybe - it will be enough?

We need to carry out maintenance on the second cable. It goes wrong. 3 days - no power. We fix it, but wait - look at #2. Even though we have fixed the cable, we still do not have enough power coming into KS.

Low low season makes little difference. From what I have seen - the hotels have large a/c usage whether the bedrooms are occupied or not! (Common areas, bars, restuarants etc) The maids/maintenance always put the a/c on cold anyway.

The 'disruptions' that are being blamed on recent events are similar to those that we had previously. See

http://www.thephuket...power-32631.php

Only now, the governer can use the 'emergency budget' to buy huge generators from his mates and say "This is in case there is another cuck-up from maintenance" insted of sayng "building of hotels is out of control and I got the power requirements wrong!"

Hi - I like your style!

I'm, not over complicating things - I reckon that you've just got more Thai genes than I have!

R

• Like 1

Not bought, on loan (rented I imagine) from other parts of Thailand. Nothing is spent on infrastructure so in the end it goes bang like the floods last March.