Thais And Their Whistles..

rene123

Do Thais have contests on who can blow their whistle the longest and the loudest?

I was having a pleasant lunch with a friend here today and I couldn't help but notice a whistle that kept blowing continuously for the 40 minutes we were there. I would have expected the parking attendent would have run out of air by then. It was non stop and just like a tree full of sparrows in the evening. I didn't really mind because I've learned to tune out all the constant noise that is part of cities in Thailand. I just thought it was amusing that the parking attendent felt is was his duty to continuously blow his whistle. There just wasn't that much traffic to make in necessary.

• Like 2

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a security guard at Siam BTS station on duty in the evening who could not blow his whistle any louder or longer even if assisted with a compressed air canister. Complete nutcase.

Edited by GarryP

There is a security guard at Siam BTS station on duty in the evening who could not blow his whistle any louder or longer even if assisted with an compressed air canister. Complete nutcase.

I could believe it, but this parking attendent today would give the guy a run for his money. I just don't know where he got the strength to do all that blowing. I get puffed just trying to blow up one balloon.

• Like 1

Caught the Ferry earlier this week ... great use of the whistle as communication between the driver and the gofor ... customer relation officer.

Distinctive tones and sound duration depending on what needed to be communicated.

But, in relation to gofor traffic moderation assistant ... I understand the OP ... 100%

You want to be in Samsung shipyard here in Pusan, Korea.

Standing by a new drill ship getting built and the number of guys with whistles is incredible. They would give your parking guy a run

And the icecream truck sirens on all the cranes. That does your head in after a while.

I have found that I park faster than ever before. My goal is to be in the space with the engine off before they are within whistling distance. I have had one whistle at me even after that point though.

All this said they are 10 times worse in India. I have seen a man blowing a whistle at 2am in a quiet seaside village for a car parking in an empty car park!

• Like 1

The question is have you ever been to a park place with NO Parking attendants and no whistles?

A local market I go to a few times a week, parking is marked out about 140 parking spaces........ often just sit and watch in amazement people trying to park.. would appear so many have a problem as to witch way to turn the wheel when reversing, mostly females, appears the younger they are and the smaller the car the more difficult it becomes, saying females and there cars as most of the males drive pickup around here but yes even some of them will take 6 or more attempts in there pickups to get into a space which can be done in 1 or max 2.

• Like 1

And there is absolutely no consistency to their whistle commands....they blow to tell you to stop and then blow to tell you to go. I just ignore them and do it my way.

My wife tells me that they have a different sound for stop and go...but like you I ignore them, especially when he tries to be really helpful by doing a circular motion with his hand to let me know which way I should be turning the steering wheel - when seen in the rearview mirror this gets my vote for the most unhelpful help ever.

Samui airport takes some beating; Taxi's & minibusses come & go as they please with little or no direction from the man with the whistle. Cars, particularly Mercedes or BMW are also treated with caution, while the remainder get whistled on a sliding scale depending on make of car & status of driver. As soon as the man with the whistle establishes that the car is "normal" (ie not a Merc or BMW) & driven by a ferang, in goes the whistle & his arms start waving like an olympic swimmer..........

I pretend not to notice & have a bit of a chuckle at the ever increasing volume & being called a <****> in semaphore:)

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

Let's not forget the ones at the fill-up stations. Have you ever seen them trying to save face because you've decided to go to a different pump, and so they then pretend that that's the one they were trying to get you to go to?

• Like 2

I didn't mean this topic to be a knock on Thailand. I just thought it amusing. However, I sometimes wish I could rent a big, black Mercedes with tinted windows for a day, and I'd add a couple of little official looking flags in the back for good measure. Then I'd drive around town just to see what preferential treatment I received.

I didn't mean this topic to be a knock on Thailand. I just thought it amusing. However, I sometimes wish I could rent a big, black Mercedes with tinted windows for a day, and I'd add a couple of little official looking flags in the back for good measure. Then I'd drive around town just to see what preferential treatment I received.

I once watched in awe as a whistler tried in vain to get a gleaming new BMW, with black windows, into a substantial space. Lots of cars waiting. THe Beemer would lurch-brake--turn-non-moving tires back and forth--lurch-brake. After a full three minutes, the whistler, after patiently encouraging and directing, threw his hands up, stepped in front of the BMW, and waved him on, all while vigorously blowing his whistle. The Beemer honked just as vigorously. But Whistler prevailed, although I thought he might swallow his tool if not for the lanyard.

• Like 2