Thais And Their Whistles..

rene123

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there is an expression that covers it; has something to do with pearls.smile.png

clap2.giflaugh.png

Pearls of wisdom, Kelly? whistling.gif

Hey, ladies like pearls! I could use a whole string of them. Wanna buy me some real ones?biggrin.png

But then, where is the wisdom in using an annoying whistle in a parking lot?

Still waiting for an explanation from the expert on all fields.

I believe there is an expression that covers it; has something to do with pearls.smile.png

clap2.giflaugh.png

Hey, ladies like pearls! I could use a whole string of them. Wanna buy me some real ones?biggrin.png

Don't want to take all the spotlight. I might get a big head. Let some others tell you. biggrin.png

clap2.giflaugh.png

Any people who throw live octopuses at sporting events should not talk about odd customs. smile.png

Edited by chiangmaikelly

clap2.giflaugh.pngPearls of wisdom, Kelly? whistling.gifHey, ladies like pearls! I could use a whole string of them. Wanna buy me some real ones?biggrin.png
Any people who throw live octopuses at sporting events should not talk about odd customs. smile.png

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

I think that is a Chicago Blackhawks tradition. But, those idiots are all bickering about salaries so out of control it makes no sense in the real world. May they all rot in hell for all I'm concerned. Billionaires arguing with multi-millionaires about who gets the biggest piece of the pie, and screwing their fans in the process.Oh, and their referees DO blow whistles. Just not constantly.

Edited by rene123

I know this thread is about yet another thing that make Thais look stupid.

I'm sorry if I kill the party now, not the intention.

Just to help some of you (you know who you are),

The whistle is to draw your attention, NOT for the purpose of communication (stop here, go there, etc).

The hand signals and body language in general is the communication.

Really?? Thai people must have VERY short attention span if they need constant whistling for minutes on end then...whistling.gif

People from various places have a way of doing stuff, which is sometimes weird for outsiders.

Like Americans (Canadians and British as well?) never take off their shoes when they walk in from a street to someones home.

Just the way they are.

Arrogant people will always shoot other people down when they think what other people do is weird.

• Like 1

I don't see your point.

There are a huge number of restaurants in N-America where they don't use spoon/fork (or chop sticks) either, but knife/fork instead.

The whistle is used for a purpose on this continent. Easy as that.

smile.png

If you don't know how to drive then someone with a whistle is not going to help you. Whistles are actually good tools when used properly. In logging they use whistles a lot. One toot to stop. 3 toots to go ahead. 2 toots a pause and 2 more toots to go back slowly. A series of toots to slack the rigging. A big vehicle that is backing up often has a series of light toots to make everyone aware. Hand signals with whistle toots are valuable if everyone knows what is happening. BUT! A long, continuous series of ear splitting whistles is useless.

Did it ever occur to you that Thais may have a reason that you are not aware of?

Yes, many times, and I'm still waiting to hear some of them.

I don't see your point.

There are a huge number of restaurants in N-America where they don't use spoon/fork (or chop sticks) either, but knife/fork instead.

The whistle is used for a purpose on this continent. Easy as that.

smile.png

If you don't know how to drive then someone with a whistle is not going to help you. Whistles are actually good tools when used properly. In logging they use whistles a lot. One toot to stop. 3 toots to go ahead. 2 toots a pause and 2 more toots to go back slowly. A series of toots to slack the rigging. A big vehicle that is backing up often has a series of light toots to make everyone aware. Hand signals with whistle toots are valuable if everyone knows what is happening. BUT! A long, continuous series of ear splitting whistles is useless.

Did it ever occur to you that Thais may have a reason that you are not aware of?

Yes, many times, and I'm still waiting to hear some of them.

The photo below is the Somchai III the first Thai Traffic whistle. The ones you see today are a radical improvement in size, sound and portability. If you had heard the first version of the Somchai you would be happy with the whistles used today.

post-73727-0-55262500-1355209612_thumb.j

• Like 1

clap2.giflaugh.png

He is whistling because he is terrified of getting hit by some dunce who can't look over their shoulder when backing ...

In case you didn't catch it, the founders of Quiet Bangkok and the Whistle Free Zone, who have convinced most building owners in central Bangkok to use light batons instead of whistles, are Thai.

Who probably didn't get their driving license with a pack of cornflakes.smile.png