Tax Question Help!

Hey Everyone!

I am a permanent resident in Thailand (That one i have to renew every year). I just signed a contract with a singaporean company, that allows me to work in Thailand while earning Singapore Dollars. The money will be telegraphically tranfered into my Thailand bank account.

I will be on probabtion period for 3 months, afterwards I will earn a permanent position with the company.

Iam not a singporean nor do I have residency status there.

Do I need to pay Taxes to either Thailand or Singapore? If so what is it classified as?

Help appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

There is no such status as yearly resident so perhaps you can define what one year extension of stay you are on. Be aware any work done while in Thailand would require a work permit. But am sure you would be required to pay tax in Thailand as any income brought into Thailand during the year it is earned is taxed per current policy.

• Like 1

The kind of one year extention, I have to go to the immigration office with my little white book, to extend my permanent residence status, If i leave Thailand and return after the expiry date, my permanent residence will be cancelled and I will have limited stay in Thailand like any other tourist.

The company I got a job from does not have offices here in Thailand.

I work from home as a concept artist, pretty similar to a freelance, except I only work for one client and get paid more.

Is Thailand work permit still required? And is it still tax payable?

Thanks lopburi3!

The kind of one year extention, I have to go to the immigration office with my little white book, to extend my permanent residence status, If i leave Thailand and return after the expiry date, my permanent residence will be cancelled and I will have limited stay in Thailand like any other tourist.

I work from home as a concept artist, pretty similar to a freelance, except I only work for one client and get paid more.

Thanks lopburi3!

-------------

rolleyes.gif

I am NOT any kind of expert on Thai tax laws so this is just an opinion,

But unfortunately for you, I think the answer to both of your questions is Yes,

If you perform the work in Thailand.... that is if you are physically present in Thailand when the work is done....the Thais will say you are working in Thailand.

Therefore the work is performed in Thailand....and therefore you need:

1, A Thai work permit

2. To pay Thai taxes on that income.

Now there may be an agreement between Singapore and Thailand .... or your home country and Thailand.... that allows you to offset some of your tax liability.

But I'm NOT a lawyer with experience in such tax matters.

I would think it would benefit you to see a lawyer who does know about such things.

Talking to such a lawyer could save you some money if there is a legal way to offset some of your tax liability

At least you would get the real information.

rolleyes.gif

You will certainly need a work permit to be fully legal, therefore you would be paying tax in Thailand, how much tax is payable is dependent on the "arrangements" you have in place in Thailand, as regards Singapore tax...this one i am not sure of...the Singapore company concerned will be able to answer this one...

For Thailand to get an extension of stay you will need to be declaring/paying tax in Thailand on about a minimum of THB 50,000 to THB 60,000/m salary..in your situation there are other options as regards tax burden, namely what is known as double contracting...wink.png

Thanks lopburi3!

Am stumped here!

"Little white book"?

You'll have to elaborate on that.

The only permanent residence book I know of is passport sized, blue if I'm not mistaken, and only requires holders to check in every 5 years.

Working in Thailand requires a Thai employer (i.e. Company Ltd. registered here), who needs to meet certain requirements to be allowed to employ a foreigner.

The employee will need to hold a valid work permit, and will pay personal income tax at exactly the same rates as Thai nationals...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks lopburi3!

Am stumped here!

"Little white book"?

What colour is a "house book"

I would think obtaining a workpermit is impossible, permanent residence should make it more easy but never read much about that. And the permenant residency 'book' is white according to

As you can do the work at home, nobody will know. But that will 'push' you in the direction of not declaring your taxes.

It is illegal, and i don't see an easy solution to get legal.

Starting a company and employing some Thai employees, but how many do you need to clean your office/workplace and serve coffee?

It is such a pain for 'freelance' style work that most don't bother with the legalities and just pretend they are on a very long holiday.

You could start an offshore company and pay yourself dividend, you can declare that and pay taxes over it. At least you then do as much as possible to contribute.

Edited by Khun Jean

Thanks lopburi3!

Am stumped here!

"Little white book"?

What colour is a "house book"

Blue for Thai nationals, yellow for foreigners (e.g. foreigner owning condo).

And has nothing to do with visa status and/or residence status, nor does it need yearly renewals.

Can be used in lieu of residence (address) proof paper issued by embassy or immigration, as for example needed by transport department for driver license issuing...

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1