The Queue Starts Here Please?

jonnyscot

It sometimes amuses me when the elevator I'm in stops at the ground floor and the doors open, the people waiting outside immediately move forward, all apparently, trying to be first into said lift and completely disregarding the fact that there are people trying to get out of same

Then they all look astonished when they see me and the others exiting or trying to !!.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try China. There is no queue and if you want service you'll find yourself wrestling with an 80 year old lady with sharp elbows. Even when you get to the front you need to have special blocking skills and a LOUD voice to get service.

In India, on the other hand, there is a trick available for couples. Most places with queues have a "Disabled and women only" queue (seriously). When we were in India I would get my wife, walk her in front of me to the front of that queue and then....they would deal with me because they find dealing with women almost impossible when there is a man to deal with!

I've found those nasty old ladies go down hard when you kick them behind the knee, usually step on their hands for good measure while I'm passing them, they now know the score.

As to the cashiers I ask them politely in Thai why they ignored me and let the Thai person push in, is this the official shop policy that they don't want foreigners there or just that they personally hate foreigners and don't want to serve them, where is the manger? The cashier of course just doesn't want a confronation with the Thai asshol_e so that is what I give them so they can see that letting in queue jumpers does in fact lead to that after all, only worse in spades.

Doing nothing just encourages it, being violent (except those rotten old ladies) helps nothing, I just give them what they were trying avoid. If everyone did this how long till the manager gets bored and tells them to not allow it?

Yes but doing any action could end up with further trouble for you. So many mentally challenged people with fragile ego in this kind of place and then add this with the face thing..you never know when you get some walking waste of oxygen flip his naanaa and do something really crazy.

Certainly no one would stick up for you the farang in any confrontation. Probably will have Thai manger, Thai a-hole as well as old lady joining in to beat the crap outta you!

not worth it really

• Like 1

Actually to much arrogance..like the way when you catch someone out who does lie. If you expose this lie and they cant dispute then they only get angrier, it will be YOU who is the worst of the worst, not the person who did lie.

This is why you hide the knives before you confront the lying GF

bah.gif

• Like 1

Try China. There is no queue and if you want service you'll find yourself wrestling with an 80 year old lady with sharp elbows. Even when you get to the front you need to have special blocking skills and a LOUD voice to get service.

In India, on the other hand, there is a trick available for couples. Most places with queues have a "Disabled and women only" queue (seriously). When we were in India I would get my wife, walk her in front of me to the front of that queue and then....they would deal with me because they find dealing with women almost impossible when there is a man to deal with!

I've found those nasty old ladies go down hard when you kick them behind the knee, usually step on their hands for good measure while I'm passing them, they now know the score.

As to the cashiers I ask them politely in Thai why they ignored me and let the Thai person push in, is this the official shop policy that they don't want foreigners there or just that they personally hate foreigners and don't want to serve them, where is the manger? The cashier of course just doesn't want a confronation with the Thai asshol_e so that is what I give them so they can see that letting in queue jumpers does in fact lead to that after all, only worse in spades.

Doing nothing just encourages it, being violent (except those rotten old ladies) helps nothing, I just give them what they were trying avoid. If everyone did this how long till the manager gets bored and tells them to not allow it?

Yes but doing any action could end up with further trouble for you. So many mentally challenged people with fragile ego in this kind of place and then add this with the face thing..you never know when you get some walking waste of oxygen flip his naanaa and do something really crazy.

Certainly no one would stick up for you the farang in any confrontation. Probably will have Thai manger, Thai a-hole as well as old lady joining in to beat the crap outta you!

not worth it really

Mentally challenged people with fragile egos? I think you've just described the average Western expat in Thailand.

'Pushit'

Try Nigeria

Haha,, been working there for the last 2 odd years,,

The difference with Thailand is most Thais or a high % (where we stay anyway) are respectful and do follow the queuing system,, where as in Nigeria at least you know what to do as its a free for all stampede to get to the front

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Hi Jonny, I learned when I first came to Thailand, if I am at a bus stop, never bother about a queue because no one else does, just make sure you are one of the fastest and fittest when the bus comes. Other than that, in a PO or 7-11 etc, I always stop anyone who tries to get in front of me. Every queue I join, I take note who is in front of me so I can take the appropriate action if need be.

I witnessed a 'well up' Thai guy place his stuff on the counter in front of a Russian woman down Wongamat (Narklua, Pattaya) a while back. She responded by looking at the Thai guy, looking at his stuff, picking his stuff up, looking the Thai guy right in the face as she dropped his stuff on the floor right in front of him, then turned again to the cashier as if nothing had happened.

The Thai guy looked mortified as he skulked out the shop.

The Thais might know how to Jump Queue, but it seems the Russians know how to deal with it.

Yes, well done to the Russian woman.
  • Like 1

dont queue ,step past the others,do like them ,and noboddy will say anything,they will

think u'r important !

Aftherall the russians ,chinese,africans do it .....so at least more than half of the world ,join them !

Pussies have to wait offcourse.

This was a joke ,a serious one.

Welcome to Thailand, same in Banks and other places too.coffee1.gif

When we enter our Bank I try to be a number taking and waiting till it's called person, but when the Manager sees us we get taken care of immediately. Not my fault

Relax, Queue jumping is a National Sport here, if it was an Olympic Sport, Thais would win Gold, Silver and Bronze.

No the competition is strong....Chinese, but also a lot non British European....Actually we Austrians are also top in it.

For my personal pastime enjoyment. I let a lot of people go in front of me whilst queuing.

And i stay very polite to someone who goes in front of me.thumbsup.gif This makes them feel very uncomfortable.

pfffttt...

no, it just makes you the invisible man who never gets served.

• Like 1

Relax, Queue jumping is a National Sport here, if it was an Olympic Sport, Thais would win Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Obviously you have never been to China or Hong Kong....Thailand strictly amataurs.

Agreed!

And, someone mentioned the Middle Kingdom? I've never heard of a country called the Middle Kingdom. Where, pray tell, is it?

I googled it and had the answer in less than 30 seconds ... about the same time it took you to write your question.

I see many complaining about this but I have not really noticed it much. Post Offices I have been to have number queues. So do banks. The only place I can think of where this happens is when you are ordering food. Then you really just need to make sure you are heard which can be sort of intimidating at times if you are not overly confident in your Thai language and easily embarrassed.

Obviously you have never been to China or Hong Kong....Thailand strictly amataurs.

Agreed!

And, someone mentioned the Middle Kingdom? I've never heard of a country called the Middle Kingdom. Where, pray tell, is it?

I googled it and had the answer in less than 30 seconds ... about the same time it took you to write your question.

You had to google it? Seriously? In the 30 seconds it took you to google it and the minute or so it took you to let everyone know what a clever bugger you are, I made $1184.67

Back OT; I deplaned from a full 747 at BKK yesterday and it was incredible how many pushy, short-arsed old Chinese ladies manage to get from about15 rows back and onto the bus before me.... and when we get to Immigration, they haven't filled in their landing cards.

Sent from the east-end of Soi Postoffice with an Asus eePad Transformer TF201 thingumabob.

• Like 1

I witnessed a 'well up' Thai guy place his stuff on the counter in front of a Russian woman down Wongamat (Narklua, Pattaya) a while back. She responded by looking at the Thai guy, looking at his stuff, picking his stuff up, looking the Thai guy right in the face as she dropped his stuff on the floor right in front of him, then turned again to the cashier as if nothing had happened.

The Thais might know how to Jump Queue, but it seems the Russians know how to deal with it.

Chances are she had jumped the queue herself.

Chances are she had jumped the queue herself.

Yeah, the Russians aren't backward about queue jumping or pushing past like you don't exist.

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand, same in Banks and other places too.coffee1.gif

When we enter our Bank I try to be a number taking and waiting till it's called person, but when the Manager sees us we get taken care of immediately. Not my fault

Someone mentioned expats with fragile egos.

='farang000999' I see many complaining about this but I have not really noticed it much. Post Offices I have been to have number queues. So do banks. The only place I can think of where this happens is when you are ordering food.

we have the number system at our local post office too, but not at the desk where we go for the package collection,, The awkward part was there were 2 Thais in front of me in the queue who said nothing, I felt I made the person uncomfortable by getting their attention (along with everyone else's in the queue) and showing them that I had a package collection ticket just the same as they had just placed on the counter and then gestured them to stand with the rest of them behind me,,

trouble was the staff had already picked up their ticket and started to process it, then they give you that Thai smile,, Mai pen rai,,,

Jonny

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• 4 weeks later...

Just stood in the line at Family Mart Reggae Bar area Chaweng behind someone (me second in the line), this person, in front of me, on the phone whilst being served by cashier then decides they'd forgotten something, so wanders off to find it oblivious to me and now another person waiting to be served.

So I stand amused by this 1st person's complete lack of manners, the cashier looks at me, I look at her, then the person behind me squeezes in front of me, literally with the agility of an gymnast, I look at them in the eye, they look at me and the 1st person eventually returns pays and goes.

I look at the cashier as if to say 'are you going to serve me' who has witnessed all of this or is the queue jumper going to get served now, you guessed it the queue jumper gets served.

Just made me laugh, a real insight into my place in the Grand scheme of Thailand

Edited by spacedcowboy

although I generally think of Thais as a very friendly and unconfrontational (dont know if thats actually a word or not?) bunch of people, the type of thing Spacedcowboy just mentioned seems surprisingly quite a common occurrence,, still I love the place and the people,,, most of them anyway,,

• Like 1

They might win the battle, but ultimately I win the war, so to speak.

I guess you could question every bodies motives in my scenario today.

The guy holding up the queue was just completely oblivious to everything except his own importance and the phone call, I'm sure however he would of felt differently if the shoe had been on the other foot, there seems to be a lot V.I.P's here. smile.png

The girl behind was just using her female charms to 'get ahead' in the queue on the Farang guy (probably works in a bar locally and used to being the centre of Farang attention etc), I've inoculated myself from this however lol. and didn't entertain anything over than a non-plus look of I'm not interestedsaai.gif and I'm not rising to it either whistling.gif

The girl serving (young isn't paid for hassle, probably see's mongers day in day out) probably scared of the queue jumper she was polite when she eventually served me, but again unfortunately also got the non-plus look from me whistling.gif

The bate the Farang guy game had unfortunately been unsuccessfully played today biggrin.png

Agreed. And the locals simply don't care. But I agree its worse in China. In Bangladesh there was no pretense of a line, every man for himself :)

I wouldn't disagree with you SC, but I don't think these queue jumpers generally target only farangs although on some occasions maybe,, the place I live only a handful of farang live and on the odd occasion that I do see these queue jumpers as many Thais are also the victims, however a classic last year whilst at the Thai consul in KL for my annual non imm visa, the gates opened and after everyone( mostly farang guys and ladies about 15 people) had cleared the security gate and were waiting in an orderly line for the office door to open, the wife and I were halfway up the queue, in walks a young 25 ish Thai lady,, shorts so tight up to her private area and a top on that the wife was embarrassed to think this lady was a Thai and dressing like this in another country,, walks right past everyone up to the front of the queue to wait for the door to open,, no one but myself objected to her, I said she aint no special case and should join the queue like everyone else, to which she replied that her visit was for a different issue than everyone else's, I said my piece but it wasn't really worth the hassle of getting into a full scale argument about,

I wouldn't disagree with you SC, but I don't think these queue jumpers generally target only farangs although on some occasions maybe,, the place I live only a handful of farang live and on the odd occasion that I do see these queue jumpers as many Thais are also the victims, however a classic last year whilst at the Thai consul in KL for my annual non imm visa, the gates opened and after everyone( mostly farang guys and ladies about 15 people) had cleared the security gate and were waiting in an orderly line for the office door to open, the wife and I were halfway up the queue, in walks a young 25 ish Thai lady,, shorts so tight up to her private area and a top on that the wife was embarrassed to think this lady was a Thai and dressing like this in another country,, walks right past everyone up to the front of the queue to wait for the door to open,, no one but myself objected to her, I said she aint no special case and should join the queue like everyone else, to which she replied that her visit was for a different issue than everyone else's, I said my piece but it wasn't really worth the hassle of getting into a full scale argument about,

I thought you said this was a "Classic" You deffo had me !!

Kipperthai,, Please do excuse my standard of english understanding,, im a Scot,,,, hehe ,, Well I don't see many of those types around where I live, but she certainly was a classic,,, not to be confused with being a "class act"

http://en.wikipedia..../Names_of_China

China is called Zhōngguó in Mandarin Chinese. The first character zhōng (中) means "central" or "middle," while guó (國/国) means "state" or "states," and in modern times, "nation." .....Many Western works, however, use the translation "middle kingdom" or "central kingdom."

Yes, come along rene, buck up.