Duchess Of Cambridge Hoax Call Nurse Found Dead

webfact

Duchess of Cambridge hoax call nurse found dead

LONDON: -- A nurse at a London hospital who took a hoax call about the Duchess of Cambridge has been found dead.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge said in a statement they were "deeply saddened" by the death of the nurse, named as Jacintha Saldanha.

King Edward VII hospital paid tribute to "a first class nurse who cared diligently for hundreds of patients".

Details of the pregnant duchess's medical condition were unwittingly revealed to two Australian DJs.

Mel Greig and Michael Christian, from Sydney radio station 2Day FM posed as the Queen and Prince Charles in a call early on Tuesday morning.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

bbclogo.jpg

-- BBC 2012-12-08

• Like 1

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nurse at Kate's hospital who took prank call from Sydney DJs found dead

Karen Kissane

LONDON: The nurse who took the crank call of two Sydney DJs asking questions about the Duchess of Cambridge’s health has been found dead and is suspected to have killed herself.

Jacintha Saldanha, a 46-year-old mother of two, was found unconscious near the King Edward VII Hospital where Kate spent three nights earlier this week being treated for pregnancy-related vomiting.

Two crews of ambulance officers tried to revive her but she died at the scene and police said her death was unexplained but not suspicious.

The Sydney 2Day FM presenters who made the prank-call, Mel Greig and Michael Christian, have been taken off the air and told not to comment. Both have deleted their Twitter accounts, after angry users accused them of having "blood on your hands".

A statement from 2Day FM’s parent company, Southern Cross Austereo (SCA), said it was ‘‘deeply saddened by the tragic news’’.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.a...1208-2b1u2.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2012-12-08

footer_n.gif

Sadly the 4th estate have in my view contributed to the death of the nurse who was a victim of gross invasions of privacy concerning the pregnancy of The Duchess of Cambridge along with a childish inane hoax perpetrated by two irresponsible supposedly adults.

Certainty violent bouts of morning sickens plagued my two wives during their pregnancies however apart from neighbors and family concerns not even the local paper was interested in the matter.

Sad to see that the 4th estate has nothing better to do than publish inane diatribes concerning a prominent persons pregnancy suffering, still it sells papers i suppose..

To hell with the fact that someone died as a result of the media input, now the media moguls will,make more press mileage (profit) out of that fact now.

Bad news sells, good news doesn't it, therefore tragedy equates to profits

Edited by siampolee
  • Like 1

How was her necking herself directly linked to the hoax call ?

She took the call, and was obviously deeply distressed/ashamed. She was receiving counselling over the incident

Considering It's not even the chick they were talking to and just one that transferred the call to the nurse that got pranked it seems to me the call was the trigger not the bullet.

Edited by Spoonman
  • Like 2

How was her necking herself directly linked to the hoax call ?

She took the call, and was obviously deeply distressed/ashamed. She was receiving counselling over the incident

Considering It's not even the chick they were talking to and just one that transferred the call to the nurse that got pranked it seems to me the call was the trigger not the bullet.

May be if they left it at that, but they didn't. They continued to gloat, just hours before they deleted their Twitter accounts. She was the butt of their gloating.

http://www.heavy.com...all-suicide-dj/

Edited by Mosha

It's now been reported that the hoax call was reviewed by the stations's lawyer/s and was authorised to go to air as did not breach any Australian laws. From this I assume that legal action, if any, would need to taken under UK breach of privacy law.

Prank fallout: First advertiser abandons TodayFM as listeners voice complaints

Jonathan Swan

THE supermarket chain Coles has pulled all advertising from 2Day FM following widespread anger on social media about the suicide of the British nurse who fell for a 2Day FM prank call.

‘‘We understand Australians are clearly angry and upset by what appear to be tragic consequences of the 2Day FM hospital prank,’’ the Coles group said in a statement on its Facebook page.

ACMA will be engaging with the licensee, Today FM Sydney, around the facts and issues surrounding the prank call.

‘‘We have wanted to let you know we have instructed 2Day FM to remove all Coles group advertising from the station as soon as possible’’.

Coles posted the statement at about 11.15am. By midday, nearly 2000 people had ‘liked’ it and it had received 874 comments. There are more than 11,000 comments on 2Day FM’s Facebook page about the tragedy. The Prime Minister and a number of other politicians have made statements, including the Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy,and Greens leader Christine Milne.

A spokesman for Julia Gillard said in a statement this morning: ‘‘This is a terrible tragedy. Our thoughts are with her family and friends at this time.’’

POLITICS has already intruded on the suicide of the British nurse who put through a call from the prank calling radio hosts to Kate Middleton's hospital room.

It has thrown the often abstract issue of media regulation into sharp relief. Until now, harm caused by journalists has been mostly chronicled by defamation suits and invasions of privacy. Even with the criminality that sparked the Leveson Inquiry into the standards of the British press - the phone hacking of a murdered school girl's phone by News of the World - nobody was suggesting that the newspaper had killed anybody.

Full story/video: http://www.smh.com.a...1208-2b1zy.html

-- The Sydney Morning Herald 2012-12-08

footer_n.gif

Sad that she felt she had to do that to escape.....but really, should we stop having a bit of a larf or a giggle or a prank because someone just might not be able to cope ?

Best we stop interacting with others altogether then and build our own little bubbles and cones of silence.

It was a telephone prank...not chasing a black mercedes down the highway at great speed for a photo.

As I said earlier, bullet already chambered and was just awaiting a trigger.

Sad that she felt she had to do that to escape.....but really, should we stop having a bit of a larf or a giggle or a prank because someone just might not be able to cope ?

Best we stop interacting with others altogether then and build our own little bubbles and cones of silence.

It was a telephone prank...not chasing a black mercedes down the highway at great speed for a photo.

I wonder actually if something else was not the real trigger, like the hospital reprimanding her or whatever.....after all, she only redirected an incoming call, the other one went on to happily give out all the information.

These prank calls by radio DJ's are going too far. One network in Oz is now placing ads for strange items (such as tigers, rare protected birds or antique airhockey tables) for sale in the newspapers and then 'reverse pranking' prospective buyers on air when they call to enquire.

It is cruel, degrading, unnecessary humour.

In one such call I heard just this week, the DJ pretended to some sort of perverted pedo.

Edited by Songhua

I wonder actually if something else was not the real trigger, like the hospital reprimanding her or whatever.....after all, she only redirected an incoming call, the other one went on to happily give out all the information.

The hospital already said she wasn't reprimanded.

The call was for fun. No harm done and there is nothing to be ashamed of except those bad accepts.

Sad about the suicide. The radio station has ZERO culpability. The lady was obviously on the edge anyway and nobody killed her, she killed HERSELF.

It was not "fun" to ask about a patients medical status & then broadcast without permission, it was a gross breach of patient rights to privacy.

It was a prank call. Did you listen the the call? I did. It was ridiculous! For people who don't understand how hilarious prank calls can be I suggest getting a hold of some Crank Yankers t.v. shows.
  • Like 1

It's entertainment on the radio. Perhaps some countries don't have this form of fun. There is no court of law that would convict the radio station for the death of that woman and the public shouldn't either!

They call someone who they nothing about, who may or may not have been having problems. Drove her over the edge. I suppose it's just collateral damage then.

It's entertainment on the radio. Perhaps some countries don't have this form of fun. There is no court of law that would convict the radio station for the death of that woman and the public shouldn't either!

They call someone who they nothing about, who may or may not have been having problems. Drove her over the edge. I suppose it's just collateral damage then.

Female nurses have four times the suicide rate as the general public. If that triggered her, she was ready to be triggered. It is a sad but all suicides are sad.

The call was for fun. No harm done and there is nothing to be ashamed of except those bad accepts.

Sad about the suicide. The radio station has ZERO culpability. The lady was obviously on the edge anyway and nobody killed her, she killed HERSELF.

I couldn't disagree more, no harm done you say, fun! At best the call was poor judgement, at worst it was something lese entirely and the fall out now seems to support that view.

Everybody likes to jump on a band wagon...at least those with no thought process of their own

You need to redefine the word entertainment JT, the purpose of the call was to make a nurse look/sound stupid, this was somebody who was responsible for the health care of a member of the royal family and who worked at one of the very best hospitals anywhere.

And it achieved a significant outcome before something worse happened, it made them rethink at look at their security systems right ?

• Like 1

It was not "fun" to ask about a patients medical status & then broadcast without permission, it was a gross breach of patient rights to privacy.

It was a prank call. Did you listen the the call? I did. It was ridiculous! For people who don't understand how hilarious prank calls can be I suggest getting a hold of some Crank Yankers t.v. shows.

Not knowing if the nurse was British born or not. She is of Indian origin. If born in India, she may not have had an ear for a fake accent.

I can see why the presenters thought it would be a good prank however!!........right now in the UK we are heartily sick of reporters and media types getting their kicks out of invasions of privacy. Situations like Princess Diana being chased to her death in a tunnel, Milly Dowler a teenage murder victim, having her phone hacked by an investigator, and many many more have disgusted the British public.

Yet in saying that we love our investigative reporters, we love the Roger Cooks of this world, Panorama, World in Action ( I miss that programme ) Watchdog and many more.

Prince William must be sickened at the idea that anyone would want to subject his wife to anything like the harassment his Mum got, though in her case she often sought out the cameras, so she played with fire. Milly Dowler didn't any many many others didn't.

So God rest Jacintha Saldanha, a sensitive soul that couldn't face her "mistake", a lady dedicated to serving others undone by media monkeys. Another death at the hands of the media right below Prince Williams nose.

Tragic, shocking and such a devastating moment in the lives of Jacintha's children. What a disgrace.

This would probably have being too close to home for William, and memory of his mum