Duchess Of Cambridge Hoax Call Nurse Found Dead

webfact

I thought this was applicable:

"Many of the new migrants also have a completely different work-ethic, not having grown up in our entitlement-based welfare state – which is why one of their main unspoken functions in Labour’s plan has been to keep wages down by providing a huge pool of cheap and willing unskilled labour".

http://hitchensblog....onsunday.co.uk/

The victim clearly belonged to that "new pool", perhaps the protagonists in this thread don't and/or have never understood this hence their inability to relate.

I concur. As a worker in the NHS, it was apparent to me that the workers below Dr level were regarded by management on a level commensurate with muck. In the 10 years I worked in a London hospital the manager NEVER spoke with us, unlike in an American run hospital I worked at in Saudi where management recognised that their workers were their most valuable asset and treated ( and paid ) us accordingly.

Certainly we were underpaid for our work and skill level. Nurses have to have subsidised accomodation in London to be able to afford to live in the city.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radio hoax nurse 'tried to commit suicide before'r

The London nurse who committed suicide after a prank call from two Australian radio DJs had reportedly been prescribed anti-depressants after two alleged suicide attempts.

The Indian-born nurse was admitted to Mangalore hospital for a depressive disorder when she visited her family in December 2011, the unnamed relative said.

According to Indian media reports, the 46-year-old mother-of-two had tried to kill herself at the time and made a second attempt nine days later.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2012/12/23/15/28/radio-hoax-nurse-tried-to-commit-suicide-before

Appears that she had some serious issues and was suicidal well before answering and transfering a phone call. At least two failed attempts. Appears she definately wanted to end her own life no matter what, and with her mental state wanted to leave others behind to blame for her death.

The London nurse who committed suicide after a prank call from two Australian radio DJs had reportedly been prescribed anti-depressants after two alleged suicide attempts.

The Indian-born nurse was admitted to Mangalore hospital for a depressive disorder when she visited her family in December 2011, the unnamed relative said.

According to Indian media reports, the 46-year-old mother-of-two had tried to kill herself at the time and made a second attempt nine days later.

http://news.ninemsn....-suicide-before

Appears that she had some serious issues and was suicidal well before answering and transfering a phone call. At least two failed attempts. Appears she definately wanted to end her own life no matter what, and with her mental state wanted to leave others behind to blame for her death.

If this story pans out as fact Chooka there should be a lot of people around the place thinking about their quick on the trigger accusations of fault.

• Like 2

The hospital already said she wasn't reprimanded.

And you belleve that? I worked in the NHS and the management were often bullies, in my experience. Certainly, they cared zero for the staff ( below Dr level ) in my hospital.

Of course they are going to say that officially.

She didn't work for the NHS; it's a private hospital.

If this story pans out as fact Chooka there should be a lot of people around the place thinking about their quick on the trigger accusations of fault.

If it does pan out, I doubt if we will hear from them. I am sure there is going to be a lot more on this in the next few days.

I feel very sorry for the parents of the female D.J' who are now receiving death threats from around the world and have had to hire 24/7 security on thier home. The D.J doesn't even reside with her parents. I guess a lot of these nutcases are blaming them for her birth.

• Like 2

This poor woman may very well have had other issues in her life; I said as much very early in this thread.

She may have been able to resolve those issues, she may not have been able to.

But the notes she left behind show that had the call not been made, or even if she had not taken the call, then she would be alive today.

• Like 1

This poor woman may very well have had other issues in her life; I said as much very early in this thread.

She may have been able to resolve those issues, she may not have been able to.

But the notes she left behind show that had the call not been made, or even if she had not taken the call, then she would be alive today.

Would she? Even tho she made previous attempts to kill herself and actually suceeded on the 3rd. To say that she would still be alive if she hadn't of answered the call is a strong statement given her previous attemps and admission to hospital because she was suicidal before the call.

I doubt if Sigmund Freud himself would be as positive.

Edited by chooka

The article you linked to alleges she made two attempts in 2011 and was prescribed anti depressants.

No attempts since then, so she appears to have been getting her life together again.

What tipped her over the edge?

In my view, her shame at her involvement in this pathetic so called prank.

So i stand by my view; if the call had not been made, she would be alive today.

• Like 1

The article you linked to alleges she made two attempts in 2011 and was prescribed anti depressants.

No attempts since then, so she appears to have been getting her life together again.

If the DJs hadn't made the call there probably would have been something else that pushed her over the edge.

Sent from my HTC phone.

Maybe, but, assuming the allegations are correct, no member of her immediate family has commented on them as far as I'm aware, she could equally have been well on the way to a full recovery; until she picked up the phone when two Australian morons phoned.

No attempts in nearly a year; a few days after answering the phone to these two; she's dead.

This, coupled with the fact that her three notes all blame the two DJs, seems fairly conclusive to me.

'No attempts since then' you state!!.

Crikey! It is only 12 months since she made two attempts to kill herself: how many attempts should she have made in the interim to satisfy you that she was still in a suicidal state? Surely just a previous history of depression should be enough to indicate she was in a parlous state of mind let alone such recent suicide attempts.

Anything could have pushed this woman over the edge, it just so happened this unfortunate prank call was the public catalyst for her suicide.

What was the catalyst for her previous two attempts? I assume you will be looking to name and shame someone for those failed attempts?

I know it is a stretch, but really, what if no one is to blame, and she was ready to just do it?

Then why blame the DJs in her notes?

I don't know why she attempted to take her life previously, if she did, but people don't just decide to kill themselves. There is always a catalyst, and that catalyst is often some other person or persons actions.

I don't know why she attempted to take her life previously, if she did, but people don't just decide to kill themselves. There is always a catalyst, and that catalyst is often some other person or persons actions.

She also mentioned the hospital. Did she mention the media harrassing her?

Sent from my HTC phone.

This is speculation on my part.

She can blame anyone she wants if she is in suicidal state of mind. It does not mean whoever she blames is actually to blame.

Much easier to have a reason that is palatable to friends and family, as a justification for her suicide. She had been depressed and tried to kill herself twice most recently, so i think it is safe to say she was already in the mindset.

• Like 1

Sent from my HTC phone.

I didn't know that as i haven't read her suicide note.

I'm surprised 7 x 7 did not mention that the hospital was blamed by her in the note also. That of course would go counter to laying the blame squarely on the DJs.

• Like 2

She can blame anyone she wants if she is in suicidal state of mind. It does not mean whoever she blames is actually to blame.

Much easier to have a reason that is palatable to friends and family, as a justification for her suicide. She had been depressed and tried to kill herself twice most recently, so i think it is safe to say she was already in the mindset.

The first time she was taken to a private hospital in Mangalore after an overdose of pills. The second time she was taken to Father Muller Medical College Hospital in the same city with head injuries after apparently jumping from a building.

Deccan Herald said Ms Saldanha was diagnosed as suffering a ''depressive disorder''. She received psychiatric treatment in hospital and was prescribed anti-depressants.

Ms Saldanha's brother, Naveen Saldanha, confirmed his sister was hospitalised after a serious fall, but said that she never sought to discuss her health and life issues.

In Shirva, where Ms Saldanha was buried last week, family friends confirmed to Fairfax Media that she had been depressed.

''She had a history of depression, you can judge this from the pictures of her. Recent pictures show a different Jacintha,'' one family friend said.

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/breaking-news-blog/radio-prank-call-nurse-made-two-prior-suicide-attempts/20121224-2bu39.html

I would "assume" that b/w the first to attempts and the last attempt her immeadiate family would have been keeping a close eye on her. Then she moves out of the family home and into the nurses quarters approximately 1 week before the incident where she is alone and not being monitored. I would also assume that the hospital, her employer was unaware of her mental health and unstable situation as she would not be working in such a distressful enviroment.

• Like 1

The first time she was taken to a private hospital in Mangalore after an overdose of pills. The second time she was taken to Father Muller Medical College Hospital in the same city with head injuries after apparently jumping from a building.

Deccan Herald said Ms Saldanha was diagnosed as suffering a ''depressive disorder''. She received psychiatric treatment in hospital and was prescribed anti-depressants.

Ms Saldanha's brother, Naveen Saldanha, confirmed his sister was hospitalised after a serious fall, but said that she never sought to discuss her health and life issues.

In Shirva, where Ms Saldanha was buried last week, family friends confirmed to Fairfax Media that she had been depressed.

''She had a history of depression, you can judge this from the pictures of her. Recent pictures show a different Jacintha,'' one family friend said.

http://www.3aw.com.a...1224-2bu39.html

I would "assume" that b/w the first to attempts and the last attempt her immeadiate family would have been keeping a close eye on her. Then she moves out of the family home and into the nurses quarters approximately 1 week before the incident where she is alone and not being monitored. I would also assume that the hospital, her employer was unaware of her mental health and unstable situation as she would not be working in such a distressful enviroment.

It paints a picture of a person on the edge of life. It is a very sad situation but not one where people should be strung up by the yard arm.

As many have said on this thread: there was no malicious intent by the DJs. They can be accused and perhaps found guilty of poor judgement, but, that was only with the benefit of hindsight and a tragic outcome.

The hospital already said she wasn't reprimanded.

And you belleve that? I worked in the NHS and the management were often bullies, in my experience. Certainly, they cared zero for the staff ( below Dr level ) in my hospital.

Of course they are going to say that officially.

She didn't work for the NHS; it's a private hospital.

Sorry to be ambiguous, but bullying is endemic in British nursing, whether in public or private institutions. Just look on any nursing forum, and a significant number of threads will be about bullying.

British hospitals should look to the United States to see how nursing SHOULD be managed.

However, it's a big topic, so I'll leave it there.

It paints a picture of a person on the edge of life. It is a very sad situation but not one where people should be strung up by the yard arm.

As many have said on this thread: there was no malicious intent by the DJs. They can be accused and perhaps found guilty of poor judgement, but, that was only with the benefit of hindsight and a tragic outcome.

I watched the "prank" on tv news and thought that it just wasn't even funny, though the 2 DJs thought they were being hilarious. Comedians in their own minds only.

I didn't hear anything to suggest that her work situation was any more than normally distressing for a nurse, though I'm assuming you meant "stressful" rather than distressing.

Sent from my HTC phone.

She mentioned staff at the hospital, not the hospital itself, according to the reports I've read; this is one example.

Maybe some staff members were making fun of her? But they wouldn't have been doing so if the DJs had not made the call.

The press were not harrasing her; the press did not know she had answered the phone until after her death.

Bookman, there may have been no malicious intent by the DJs, but that does not excuse them.

If I drive too fast and have an accident which kills someone, whilst I had no malicious intent my actions would have led to a person's death; I would be to blame for that death.

• Like 1

Sent from my HTC phone.

She mentioned staff at the hospital, not the hospital itself, according to the reports I've read; this is one example.

Maybe some staff members were making fun of her? But they wouldn't have been doing so if the DJs had not made the call.

The press were not harrasing her; the press did not know she had answered the phone until after her death.

Bookman, there may have been no malicious intent by the DJs, but that does not excuse them.

If I drive too fast and have an accident which kills someone, whilst I had no malicious intent my actions would have led to a person's death; I would be to blame for that death.

But driving too fast is an offence in itself, while making a hoax call isn't.

Sent from my HTC phone.

But driving too fast is an offence in itself, while making a hoax call isn't.

You think a hoax call isn't illegal. ? So if you call my bank to learn something about my stuff, that is not illegal ? Hmmmmm. coffee1.gif

I didn't hear anything to suggest that her work situation was any more than normally distressing for a nurse, though I'm assuming you meant "stressful" rather than distressing.

thumbsup.gif

"the press did not know she had answered the phone until after her death."

She received the call at 5:30am Tuesday.

It was reported at least on Wednesday. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/australian-radio-presenters-trick-staff-at-duchess-of-cambridges-hospital-into-giving-details-of-her-condition-8386313.html

She committed suicide on Friday.

From www.indianexpress.com The original source of all the media reports.

please note no confirmation of any previous suicide attempts only local media

speculation, no facts.

" Indian nurse Jacintha Saldanha, who reportedly committed suicide in London on December 7, days after being the victim of a royal hoax call by two Australian radio jockeys, was admitted in a Mangalore hospital for a depressive disorder in December 2011 when she visited India with her family for Christmas, a member of her family said.

“It is true that she was taken to the Fr Muller Medical College Hospital in Mangalore during her visit last Christmas. We are not commenting on whether it was a suicide attempt,’’ said the family member, following reports in the local media that she had attempted to kill herself on two occasions during her last visit to India.

According to local reports from Mangalore, medical records from the nurse’s stay in hospital during her last visit, ostensibly for a serious fall, suggested that she was diagnosed with a depressive disorder due to a history of stress and that she may have tried to harm herself.

The exact cause and trigger for the depression was not known and the nurse had been treated, put under medication and discharged in January, reports said.

Jacintha, who worked at the King Edward VII Hospital in London, was a victim of a prank call by two Australian RJs who pretended to be Queen Elizabeth and Prince Charles as they enquired into the well-being of the pregnant Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, who was a patient at the hospital.

Days later, Jacintha was found dead in her quarters in London."

"the press did not know she had answered the phone until after her death."

She received the call at 5:30am Tuesday.

It was reported at least on Wednesday. http://www.independe...on-8386313.html

She committed suicide on Friday.

That report does not name her, neither did any other reports prior to her death.

This was because the hospital did not name the two nurses taken in by the idiot DJs. To the best of my knowledge they have not named the second nurse.

How can the press harrass someone when they don't know who that person is?

Or are you seriously suggesting that all the female staff at the hospital were being harassed by the press?

jbrain, as transam says, pretending to be someone else in order to obtain confidential information is an offence.

As was broadcasting the call without first obtaining the participents consent.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

That report does not name her, neither did any other reports prior to her death.

This was because the hospital did not name the two nurses taken in by the idiot DJs. To the best of my knowledge they have not named the second nurse.

Or are you seriously suggesting that all the female staff at the hospital were being harassed by the press?

jbrain, as transam says, pretending to be someone else in order to obtain confidential information is an offence.

Seriously? They didn't know who it was who answered the phone, but the second she committed suicide they all knew that she was the one that answered the phone??

Seriously? They didn't know who it was who answered the phone, but the second she committed suicide they all knew that she was the one that answered the phone??

Yes seriously, is that too difficult for you to grasp??? sad.png