Wife Wants 100K Alimony!?

SwissMate78

Hi Everyone,

I thought I was going through a simple divorce yet at signing she turned up with a Thai lawyer and demanded 100'000 baht alimony!?

Now I'm gonna fight it!

We were married may 28, 2011. No children, no property in Thailand. I have a house in Europe but its pre-marriage. In Switzerland she would get about $400 (part of my pension).

Anyone got any experience?

I've got a police report of a incident she was taken away in Switzerland for assault and drunken behaviour. Also she unregistered herself from Swiss immigration after and left (march 2012).

Cheers!

I plan to live 50% in Europe and the other in Thailand. I don't want to pay her out of principal, I'd rather give that money to the lawyers as she's been a real pain in the ass alcoholic and abusive woman.

She just wants the money. The longer I leave it the more rights she gets in regards to Europe.

Reason I'm asking because I read also Thais don't do support, yet on some Thai legal sites they mention "maintenance payments".

She wouldn't get alimony or "support" in Europe due to the short marriage.

Under Thai law there is no alimoney, only child maintenance is recognised under Thai law. Both are entitled to half of the "gains" the other psouse made during the marriage. (That could include any debts).

If you get a divorce at an amphur you can enter a divorce agreement, in which you can agree about the settlement of the division of property or giving a sum of money or giving a payment every month. That is up to you and would be a binding contract.

The divorce at the amphur is quick, 30 minutes. if you cannot come to an agreement you will have to go to court, which takes much longer, costs a lot of money and can only be granted based on the grounds mentioned in the law.

http://thailawonline.com/en/family/divorce-in-thailand/how-to-divorce.html

If you want a quick divorce, you might want to come to an agrement about giving her some money. it will save you the trouble, stress and money of going to court.

Have your own lawyer and be sure that you know what you sign at the amphur. Don't just sign a document provided by her (lawyer).

• Like 1

It does not matter how long the marriage was in Europe, you were legally Man and wife, and she has some rights.

I would make it my point to say to her, 100K then leave me alone and get her to sign something and get it witnessed, then move on.

Play the waiting game , and let her sweat it out she will soon loose interest when she she's how much it will cost her in lawyers fees, just change your location when you come to thaland and your fone numbers.

Save your money give her nothing i you have a condo sell it and move on to onother place and stay.

Edited by Boyce
  • Like 2

Just do nothing, don't employ a solicitor, don't reply to her.

What can she do, nothing.

Being married to you is a big problem for her.

No property scams on other foreigners, just wait.

She will be begging you for a 'free' divorce in six months.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I think the OP is concerned that the wife will sue for divorce in Switzerland.

She won't have access to the Swiss legal system, and won't be allowed back without her husband signing her Visa application.

(as they were only married last year)

Are you quite sure? In the UK I believe you can.

You don't need to be in a country to have legal representation there.

She won't have access to the Swiss legal system, and won't be allowed back without her husband signing her Visa application.

(as they were only married last year)

Are you quite sure? In the UK I believe you can.

You don't need to be in a country to have legal representation there.

In the UK theoretically you can, but in actuality they give you the run around until you go away. Very few of the western countries will actually allow non-western people access to their legal system if they have no right of residence. But many pay lip service to the idea out of some sort of 'political correctness'.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Correct. As every dollar i earn still now that goes towards my pension I need to give her a % of.

I told her after the meeting I would give her $400 (about 10'000 baht) but she refused.

She did send me a hate mail last September of her and an Australian boyfriend who apparently wanted to take her to Australia. But I erased it :(

I guess that would have been useful.

• Like 1

Correct. As every dollar i earn still now that goes towards my pension I need to give her a % of.

I told her after the meeting I would give her $400 (about 10'000 baht) but she refused.

She did send me a hate mail last September of her and an Australian boyfriend who apparently wanted to take her to Australia. But I erased it sad.png

I guess that would have been useful.

She can't get a Visa to visit Australia while she is married to you.

If she gets pregnant, it will be your child and not his.

You can take him to court for damages and compensation, by having sex with your wife.

I'm surprised she isn't offering you money for a divorce.

So she wants the divorce so that she can go to Australia with her new boyfriend.

She is the one demanding money.

You at the moment do not need a quick divorce.

My advice is play along with her games making excuses why you can't meet to sign papers etc.

She will be the one to come running to you if it drags on long enough.

Then when she is desperate for divorce so she can go to Australia (that is if this is the truth) tell her ok will sign but no money, honey.

• Like 1

Get her to hate mail you again , about her new boyfriend ,and use that as evidence in your divorce, be nice to her and ask her about her plans to go to aussie.be sneaky just like she's being to you.

Check with your e mail provider about retrieving deleted e mails!

Lots of work and maybe expensive. Good idea unless he can, as other posters said, get her to send more!!

That's what i think , it will work if she thinks she's getting the money.