Wife Wants 100K Alimony!?

SwissMate78

I've been through a divorce where she was here and I was in the UK. The Solicitor was on my side and even stopped charging me while things stalemated. It was still cheaper than the ex wife, If the Swiss have an equivalent of the UK's Citizen Advice Bureau, go talk with them. Eventually my ex slipped up, and wrote to my solicitor. "He can have a divorce if he sends me 5K pounds." The judge saw that as blackmail. I got my degree nicee.

Edited by Mosha

Hi Everyone,

I thought I was going through a simple divorce yet at signing she turned up with a Thai lawyer and demanded 100'000 baht alimony!?

Now I'm gonna fight it!

We were married may 28, 2011. No children, no property in Thailand. I have a house in Europe but its pre-marriage. In Switzerland she would get about $400 (part of my pension).

Anyone got any experience?

I've got a police report of a incident she was taken away in Switzerland for assault and drunken behaviour. Also she unregistered herself from Swiss immigration after and left (march 2012).

Cheers!

100K? Pay and leave. A lawyer and additional costs are higher. Or.... sit it out and do just nothing. A letter of a lawyer is just a letter without any relevance. You should be able just to wait how far she is able to push the matter. No kids, no major common possess and only married short time, nothing to worry

Fatfather

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Thaivisa Connect App

Heres wha:-D t you do. Tell her to show up at the Amphoe, you have the cash.

The cash is whatever you are willing to part with (20 -40k).Dont mention how much.

When she arrives, sit down in front of whomever to sign the papers and show her the money. If she balks, she will lose face, just shrug and take the money and leave.

I think.when she sees cash, it will change the story.

Tell her you are finished with her, paper or not. Bye bye.

Edited by bangkokburning

ive tried to recover the emails but they are gone for sure.

can someone recommend a decent lawyer thats not too expesive? i thought that if i go through a lawyer maybe we can still negotiate. maybe if my lawyer explains to her she has no chance of getting that money she will agree to settle

Might help if you tell in what area you are looking for a lawyer.

You could tell your wife that you will seek a divorce through the court based on her assault (if it was directed against you). She might not like that and be more open to a divorce by mutual consent.

• Like 1

I would like to find a lawyer in Bangkok. Perhaps one that can try to negotiate to the wife and make it clear to her that she has no rights to alimony!

I have tried to explain to the wife that I have several documents going against her to show in court that it would be beneficial for her (also economically if she did mutual) but she's got a thick head and thinks the swiss embassy will shower her in my money.

Yes the Australian embassy knows.

A legal marriage was neccessary to bring her into europe.

May I just ask why you did a legal marriage in the first place?

I don't see why anyone would put themself in a position of vulnerability when Thai culture only requires a village party.

Legal marriage in Thailand gives lots of advantages to a foreigner living in Thailand. Joint custody over children, Visa extension due to marriage, joint property, right to citizenship (if you are working), protection from adultery, etc. But if you are an old guy, just buying a woman for sex, I agree no point in getting married properly.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Seriously mate I know how difficult it is getting an Aussie visa for my wife of 10 years. Let me tell you now firstly move out, change your residence and any contact with her and relax. Then when you've cooled down contact her and tell her to go forth and multiple but not with you. Let her wait, which Thais hate and she can divorce you in 3 yers time for desertion.

• Like 2

I plan to live 50% in Europe and the other in Thailand. I don't want to pay her out of principal, I'd rather give that money to the lawyers as she's been a real pain in the ass alcoholic and abusive woman.

She just wants the money. The longer I leave it the more rights she gets in regards to Europe.

Reason I'm asking because I read also Thais don't do support, yet on some Thai legal sites they mention "maintenance payments".

She wouldn't get alimony or "support" in Europe due to the short marriage.

I plan to live 50% in Europe and the other in Thailand. I don't want to pay her out of principal, I'd rather give that money to the lawyers as she's been a real pain in the ass alcoholic and abusive woman.

She just wants the money. The longer I leave it the more rights she gets in regards to Europe.

Reason I'm asking because I read also Thais don't do support, yet on some Thai legal sites they mention "maintenance payments".

She wouldn't get alimony or "support" in Europe due to the short marriage.

Alcoholic and abusive? You've only been married just over a year. Didn't you see these traits before you were married? How long did you know her before you got married?

If I am guessing right and you found her where most of the '1 year wives' are found, I would pay her get the divorce papers so its final. The when looking for a new girlfriend/wife, I wouldn't look for her in establisments where the little head overides the big one!

Good luck

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...