Accommodation For 2 Months In Chiang Mai

GhostAli

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are thinking of spending 2 months in Chiang Mai in Feb & March 2013. We spent a few weeks there in 2008 and now have the opportunity to return as we felt that there was so much more to see, do and learn.

Does anyone have any accommodation recommendations for a 2 month stay? We would prefer something with at least 1 bed, a sitting room, kitchen and a bit of air con in case we need it. A bit of info about different locations would be great as I keep seeing areas mentioned but don't know anything about them. We don't need to be slap, bang in the middle of town, but do want to be within walking distance.

Looking at mid-range budget - not backpackers, but not too swanky either.

Thanks for any info you can manage.

Thanks for moving the post. I had just realised that there is a separate Chiang Mai forum and thought , 'bugger should have put it there' and lo, it had been done for me!

Thanks for the City View info, I'll google that and see what happens.

Cheers.

Shepsel - I'm not really sure yet what the reasonable going rate is at the middle of the market. I'm guessing from the little that I have seen so far that around 10K - 15K Bhat per month would be what we would be looking for.

Boyce - thanks very much for that link. I had a quick glimpse through it and it does begin to give us an idea of prices. I still need to have a closer look to see what you pay for the different areas, but this is an excellent start for us.

Thanks for your help with this so far. Sitting here freezing to death so that promise of Chiang Mai in the not too distant future is most welcome.

If you want a bedroom and separate living room and a kitchen area within walking distance of the middle of town, I would be surprised if you found anything for less than 10k.

Add in the fact that you only want to rent for 2 months will really bump up the price to 20K per month.

Add in the fact that if you go through agencies with attractive English language websites with prices also shown in $ and £, you will have to pay their commission on top so now we are talking 25K per month.

So you may need to compromise on location or square metres or bump up your budget.

If you want a bedroom and separate living room and a kitchen area within walking distance of the middle of town, I would be surprised if you found anything for less than 10k.

Add in the fact that you only want to rent for 2 months will really bump up the price to 20K per month.

Add in the fact that if you go through agencies with attractive English language websites with prices also shown in $ and £, you will have to pay their commission on top so now we are talking 25K per month.

So you may need to compromise on location or square metres or bump up your budget.

Not sure about the agencies you used, but not all pumping the prices, you should not talk bad about all of us.

I did not "talk bad about you".

I don't understand your post which seems to be related to semantics and not to rental price.

If renters want the convenience of using a rental agency, they can expect to pay for that. Rental agencies do not work for free. These are simple facts, not rocket science. Renters going through agencies can expect to pay more than renting direct from the landlord.

If you are determined to have an internet argument, please choose somebody else. I can't be bothered. I just tried to help the OP with some facts and figures.

Me and the missus stayed for 2 months in Nakornping Condo on Ratchaphuek Road just off Huay Keaw Rd.

We rented directly through a Thai wife of a German chap who was back home and it was a great little place to live (think they do rent directly though).

Swimming pool (although it was <deleted> freezing), good little location with the Supermarket over the road and various bars and restaurants all within a 10 minute walk and if not hop on a Songthaw into CM central.

Plenty of other condos around that area as well.

First; I am staying near Nakornping Condo on Ratchaphuek Road. I agree with LastGarrison in that it is a nice area. I like this (the North-West) part of Chiang Mai.

Second; I don't know how locked-in you are to visiting during February and March but, if possible, I would avoid visiting here during those two months. Those are the two months of the "smoky season". They have a big problem with smoke pollution up here during February and March. The farmers burn off their fields, mushroom gatherers burn the forest undergrowth (apparently it helps the mushrooms grow after the rains start), and everybody else is burning leaves, trash, and whatever else they want to burn.

I arrived here in Chiang Mai early March this year and many days you could barely see the sun. Some days were so bad my eyes would be burning after a short time outside. And it was even worse further north in Chiang Rai. They had multiple airline flights into Chiang Rai cancelled because of the smoke "haze". It started to clear up the first part of April.

I've met a few residents here that always plan trips and vacations specifically during that Feb-Mar timeframe. I have already made plans to be elsewhere by the start of February 2013.

Edited by Baloo22

Thanks for all your help folks. I will look at all of these options. I recognise that a 2 month let is more problematic - but it is what we will be looking for probably.

We would use an agency if we had to, but one of the reasons I posted here was because it may be that someone knows someone who would give us a short-let while they are away or if they have a rental empty for a couple of months. Also, we might book a week in a hotel and just look for something when we arrive - I'm not keen on committing myself to a place and a location without actually seeing it first-hand.

Thanks very much for the heads up about the smoke. I had read a comment somewhere else about that, but wasn't sure when it was. We don't have to come to Chiang Mai at that time; but it is a place that we thought would suit our needs for the moment. May well think again.

Thanks also for the info about locations; I will get the map out an look in more detail.

Really appreciate the help. Many thanks. Sorry not to reply more frequently but we're having a busy week and I haven't logged in as much as I usually would.

I've stayed here when in Chiang Mai for longer than a few days and always very happy. Rates can be discounted but still quite pricey but doubt you'll find nicer for the same price, short-term rent is always more expensive than long-term. Worth remembering that north Thailand often suffers from very bad smoke pollution in Feb & March, friends in Chiang Rai said this year was horrendous!

http://www.chiangmaifrangipani.com/

Thanks for all your help folks. I will look at all of these options. I recognise that a 2 month let is more problematic - but it is what we will be looking for probably.

We would use an agency if we had to, but one of the reasons I posted here was because it may be that someone knows someone who would give us a short-let while they are away or if they have a rental empty for a couple of months. Also, we might book a week in a hotel and just look for something when we arrive - I'm not keen on committing myself to a place and a location without actually seeing it first-hand.

Thanks very much for the heads up about the smoke. I had read a comment somewhere else about that, but wasn't sure when it was. We don't have to come to Chiang Mai at that time; but it is a place that we thought would suit our needs for the moment. May well think again.

Thanks also for the info about locations; I will get the map out an look in more detail.

Really appreciate the help. Many thanks. Sorry not to reply more frequently but we're having a busy week and I haven't logged in as much as I usually would.

This is exactly what we did, hired a bike and just rode round visiting a few places. Varying prices and standard of accomodation but we got sorted (and fell on our feet) within a couple of days.

Good luck.

Edited by LastGarrison

Thanks again everyone. We have taken note of the different possibilities and we will either postpone our trip to Chiang Mai and come later in the year once the smoke has gone, or go somewhere else for Feb & March.

Sorry for all those who don't have the possibility of avoiding that part of Thailand at that time of the year - sounds like its getting worse each year from what I've read.