Throbbing Large Sound Speakers, Low Frequency, Have You Heard Them In Your Neighborhood?

circusman

Here in normally tranquil Hong Dong I have been lately hearing some low bass throbbing sounds coming from speakers. It can be far off in the distance but the sounds go right through closed windows and walls even. Not musical notes, more just electronic notes in a constant repeat.

I have not yet been able to get near this annoyance to find out just what the heck it is.

Anyone know about this? Thais tell me they don't know either.

Edited by Rimmer
Fonts

^^ Your not a particularly young person are you?

It's just people enjoying and sharing their music with the world at large.

The reason we hear different sounds is that they have different frequencies ... different wave lengths.

The sound you are hearing is most likely from the Bass speaker or woofer, which has a longer frequency.

The higher frequency waves are adsorbed faster. λ=cs/f

Also the same reason why the sun appears red in the morning evening.

Oh, the reason that it just sounds mechanical, rather then musical is that it's a machine generated or synthesised bass note ... when was the last time you heard a bass guitarist in modern Thai music?

• Like 1

It is one of the curses of the present age, as noted by the op, able to travel long distances and penetrate walls. Luckily for now, the young and stupid can not afford cars (yet) when they do, they will install subwoofers and no where will be safe from "audio terrorism". Sound systems are no longer installed for the cars occupents, they are their to make the statement that even though we have no real power, we do have the power to disrupt your life, sleep, peace and quiet.

I'm fully aware of frequencies, bass and electrically made sounds. I have come to the conclusiion that it is just music but by the time the sound waves reach me the higher notes drop off and I only hear the beat of the bass, which does not sound like music at all because the higher frequency is not reaching me. I knew that physics class would come in handy some day.

It is one of the curses of the present age, as noted by the op, able to travel long distances and penetrate walls. Luckily for now, the young and stupid can not afford cars (yet) when they do, they will install subwoofers and no where will be safe from "audio terrorism". Sound systems are no longer installed for the cars occupents, they are their to make the statement that even though we have no real power, we do have the power to disrupt your life, sleep, peace and quiet.

You're way behind - It's certainly not confined to the young (although stupid I'll grant you).

If you've ever been to the CM Motor Show at Big C you'll see plenty of otherwise sane looking older people who can afford to trick out their transport with speakers so powerful they'll rattle your fillings a couple of kilometres away. In our village they use a truck with the doors open instead of a sound system when they hold their (fortunately very infrequent) parties.

Edited by Greenside

^^

The sound you are hearing is most likely from the Bass speaker or woofer, which has a longer frequency.

The higher frequency waves are adsorbed faster. λ=cs/f

Also the same reason why the sun appears red in the morning evening.

Come on!!! we are not cabbages on this forum; you expect us to believe the sun is red because of the world bass speakers.

Translating from Thai, the driver actually said: " today we will be testing the speaker system to make sure it will work properly in emergency " but then he announced "if you are unable to hear this announcement please contact us"blink.png

• Like 1

I've kind of grown immune to all the constant noise associated with Thailand: roosters crowing at all times of the night, karaeoki bands playing until all hours of the night, small villages with town speakers that begin their propaganda at 6 AM and blare on for 2 hours, slow moving trucks with their huge megasound systems promoting this or that while blocking traffic. Oh, and the constant whistles blowing at every parking lot.

• Like 2

I have come to the conclusiion that it is just music but by the time the sound waves reach me the higher notes drop off and I only hear the beat of the bass, which does not sound like music at all because the higher frequency is not reaching me.

That's exactly what David48 just told you!

I bet it normally goes 'duh-duh duh duuuuuh' repeat forever, doesn't it?

• Like 1

We live near Raumchok market and at the back some b#$^&&,installs sound

systems in cars, so most days ,we get this very low bass sound,sometimes

he tries to play tunes on whatever piece of audio equipment he has ,its so

loud, that you can feel the vibration in your body,(the wife loves it) joking !

the windows rattle,

Living here so long ,you get used to all the shit that comes with living here,

and know it not worth complaining about anything,fact this is a VERY noisy

country, dogs,frogs,cicadas, dueling sound systems in shopping malls,fairs

those extra loud exhaust systems they fit on cars,trucks,motor bikes to make

them feel macho,OR go faster,more noise must be flying.

So just get used to it all as its never going to stop,

regards Worgeordie

I have come to the conclusiion that it is just music but by the time the sound waves reach me the higher notes drop off and I only hear the beat of the bass, which does not sound like music at all because the higher frequency is not reaching me.

Now please. You don't expect me to choose one response and go with it do you? I have to diligently go through all replies and make some sort of conclussion. I wasn't complaining at all in my first post, just wanting to know what I was hearing. Hong Dong is by far the best part of Thailand I have lived in. Thats 12 years worth. No soi dogs in this older village. Minimum traffic, and all gardens taken care of. At least in my village. 10 minutes drive to the 'big' city. Duh,duh,duh duuuuh ! Lovin it.

I heard the same low frequency "music" a year ago for about 2 weeks. I wondered what it was all about - until the Car Sound System gathering / contest opened at Prasterland. Hundreds of cars with huge subwoofers and sound systems on display for 3 nights. I figure the guy in my neighborhood was getting his system tuned up for the event....

I'm afraid Thailand is doomed

I'm not talking about the General End of the World (latest forecast: 21 December 2012, but perhaps later) but of a rampant, already widespread and still-spreading affliction, which has no known cure.

It affects victims in a way whereby it controls them, and they cannot do without it. Young people are particularly susceptible. It has to accompany them wherever they go. It becomes quintessential to their existence. Life has no meaning without it.

It is called doom doom. And it is certainly not unique to Thailand.

Doom doom is now everywhere, worlwide. It is omnipresent. Many readers may be hearing it now, often coming from far, far away. Low frequency, high volume, It penetrates stone walls, ear plugs, closed glass windows, and you can hear it even with your ear pressed hard into your pillow: Doom-doom-doom.

No piece of modern music can possibly do without it. TV adverts thrive on it. It even accompanies some serious television documentaries - to the extent it's difficult to hear the commentary, because of the dooms.

Curiously, it's rarely made by actual humans. It's mostly generated by computers - and they never get tired. They can doom happily all through the night. They can make fast doom dooms, slow doom dooms, and all kinds of variable doom dooms. There's really no doom limit.

For older people who become allergic to doom doom, it can really spoil the quality of life, particularly if it's a nightly dooming performance, thanks to a local karaoke bar, disco or a doom-loving neighbour.

Moving to the countryside can help, but there's no guarantee that the dooms will not follow you, as indeed has been my own experience living in the greater outer boondocks (doomdocks?) where dooms from village fairs can travel easily huge distances - over high hilltops, through dense forests, across rice fields, and straight into my living room.

"Aha, we've got the doom dooms tonight" I say philosophically, and pour another very large whisky. Not a cure really, but it can certainly help.

So when will the dooms stop?

Probably not until Doomsday...so we had better all get used to it.

• Like 2

Now please. You don't expect me to choose one response and go with it do you? I have to diligently go through all replies and make some sort of conclussion. I wasn't complaining at all in my first post, just wanting to know what I was hearing. Hong Dong is by far the best part of Thailand I have lived in. Thats 12 years worth. No soi dogs in this older village. Minimum traffic, and all gardens taken care of. At least in my village. 10 minutes drive to the 'big' city. Duh,duh,duh duuuuh ! Lovin it.

I'm in a similar situation to you, and for the most part it's very quiet. In fact I'm probably a worse neighbour than my neighbours are, if that makes any sense. A couple of years ago I had the throbbing issue - in time it went away and hasn't come back apart from the odd short burst. Have to try and remain calm and have faith in your fellow neighbours probably being equally unhappy and doing something about it.

In the meantime if you walk around your home, you might find in some places the sound is particularly loud, and others noticeably quieter. Corners of rooms in particular might exhibit this effect. You can try moving your furniture accordingly. Even just rotating it might help a bit. Good luck.

Need to design your house with an inner sanctum. A safe room with no windows, surrounded on all sides by outer rooms & a concrete ceiling. Kit it out with a spare TV & a mattress on the floor for sleeping. But, be warned, you may never want to venture out once you've entered sad.png

• Like 1

Infrasound from elephants?

......perhaps, but I would say more outfrasound from A$$hles....

I too am on the Ping and have perhaps the same jerk that must keep his volume at full and I have heard loud music, but this is beyond that. I have come to the conclusion that its just some jerks with a very small weenie looking to get attention in any way they can..

Getting back to what the OP actually asked: Depending on where in Hang Dong he is, it could have been noise from the fair at the Royal Flora. They had bands playing loud at their food center and un-beer garden. (Un-beer garden because for some inexplicable reason beer was nowhere to be seen. Silly government people..). But anyway, that was noisy, and was going on December 1-10. So it's now over.

Getting back to what the OP actually asked: Depending on where in Hang Dong he is, it could have been noise from the fair at the Royal Flora. They had bands playing loud at their food center and un-beer garden. (Un-beer garden because for some inexplicable reason beer was nowhere to be seen. Silly government people..). But anyway, that was noisy, and was going on December 1-10. So it's now over.

My partner says the Royal Flora will last well into Jan. In fact we are going there today. It is 7 km from our house so thats not the source of my ear i tation. I have lived in 4 different countries and Thailand is the most loud with Mexico a very, very close second. I am also well aware, before I'm told, I can always go home. What? And give up globetraveling?

I've kind of grown immune to all the constant noise associated with Thailand: roosters crowing at all times of the night, karaeoki bands playing until all hours of the night, small villages with town speakers that begin their propaganda at 6 AM and blare on for 2 hours, slow moving trucks with their huge megasound systems promoting this or that while blocking traffic. Oh, and the constant whistles blowing at every parking lot.

Be thankful you're not in a neighbouring country where the calls to prayer are often around 4.30am.

I'm happy to hear the local drums and music here at 6am!

Just returned from the Royal flora grounds. We had a nice time. That is until we crossed an unmarked spot where 3 different speakers fought each other for dominance. Each with a different musical treat of course. Just another day in Thailand. You will not escape the dreaded speaker. Peace.

• 6 months later...

I am living for ten years in a small village, surrounded by some other small villages in the province of Buriram.

And the noise it's getting more worse every day: unbelievable big loudspeakers - a small popconcert would be jealouse about it - with incredible low tones which can not be stopped by any wall or ear plug.

They are used by: weddings (at least three days), funerals (3 days), ceremonies like a monk going to temple, a monk going out of the temple, remembering a funeral from last year - two years - three years -any years, going into a new house, birthday parties, any parties, just for fun, karaoke (nobody can sing), and many more events.

The children are raised by this: every day an hysterical teacher is shouting at them in a military way before classes starts.

Sports days, football competions between schools, cultural events and other activities in school are standard equipt by huge sound systems you will hear all over the village and about five others.

In between the local authorities making their announcements by very bad speakers - the kind you saw in movies about Mao's propaganda on the rice fields and they also sound like that - but not before they played terrible sweet Thai pop music for at least two hours.

The announcements can take easely another two hours (the message "tomorrow it is mothers day" will take about 30 minutes) and to complete today's 'radio', as the locals call it, there will be another two hours with super sweet pop music that makes your teeth falling out.

But it's not over yet: every day some 20 cars are visiting our and the surrounding villages to sell all kinds of goods with super loud speakers to tell us what to buy.

And the number of private cars with build-in soundsystems are increasing. They produce even more low tones that makes your house shaking, windows start to vibrate and my iron garage door is producing a sort of sound that has no name yet.

At the mean time our lovely school boy from next door comes home and he will play untill diner time - if we are lucky - all the latest pop and rock songs. Not only for himself or for us, but for half of the village.

On the other side of the house his niece is doing the same.

Many nights we have to escape this disaster - it won't always stop after midnight - and we run into an hotel.

But they also have villages around them, noisy weddings, drunken guests and slamming doors at 3 o'clock in the night.

OK, we go for a holiday at the seaside (Chantaburi or Koh Chang): karaoke left from us, a live band on the beach at the right, Thai guests are comming by bus with not only very loud speakers inside the bus, but also OUTSIDE.

Look for 'Crazy Bus' at Youtube and you will know what I mean.

A quiet diner in a restaurant, forget it: at least two television sets - with different channels - and an overall sound system.

Complaining about this hell don't work. The police is doing nothing, the authorities are laughing at you ("why don't you go to your own country" one of them told me lately") and many of the noise producers are already waving with a gun or/and a knife if you aproach their houses. They go in and out of jail and using yaba as candy.

If somebody think all Thais accept this: wrong.

My wife found many websites - in Thai - where thousands complaining about this mess.

But people are afraid of confrontations and the trouble it will bring to them and their loved ones.

Many Thai can not hold it anymore and start to kill their neighbours. This is no fantasy.

Many of the responders telling about the horrible thoughts and fantasies they never have before, but now have: buying guns and handgranates, throwing bombs, putting houses on fire, place explosives on electric posts and so on.

And I feel the same way: I start to hate these people who don't care about anybody. I was a very nice soft man, but after ten years I see a chagrined, bitter man in the mirror.

This land is slowly killing me with all this stupid super loud noise you can not escape from.

Because of all the above I will be leaving Thailand very soon.

A desillusion richer.

If you ever want to live in the country in Thailand: don't.

Edited by Mr. Up
  • Like 2

Mr. Up I also have suffered with the noise for ten years or more. Thailand is a loud place to live. Everyone agrees with that.

Just 6 months ago I moved here to Chiang Mai. By pure luck I found a quiet village to live in. Yes, sometimes the music from far away is loud. But always off at midnight. 10 pm during the week. No soi dogs here. But some bark a bit in the night at the neighbors. Not much. Still, if the person I love was not in Thailand, I would leave this country in one minute. I hope you have some happy memories at least.