Opposition Cries Foul Over Former Prime Minister Thaksin On State Television: Thailand

webfact

Little by little, inch by inch, this little worm will come home again, then what Yingluck???cheesy.gif

Actually, I am sure Yingluck is keen to expedite his homecoming so that she can have her life back. She has never been unhappier. Before Big Brother persuaded her to step into the Cobra's nest, life was truly sweet for her. The CEO of a billion dollar company, answerable to no one, working 30 mins a day and the rest of the day at the salon, the spa, having fun lunches and anything else on the all you can 'manage' buffet at the Four Seasons. Yingluck will do anything required to get back where she was.

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 2

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I didn't know what to do as it had already happened. The public will judge whether it's right or wrong," she said.

The Public......yep much better than relying on those pesky "Laws".

Would you please be so kind as to specify which laws should have been applied to preclude the beloved former PM from appearing.

Although the channel may be state sponsored, I take solace in knowing that the government did not engage in censorship.

Aren't you in favour of the government not meddling in programming decisions?

You got me. Not sure of the law prohibiting "beloved" convicted criminals from airing their views on state sponsored TV, sorry. Democrat MP for Songkhla Wirat Kallayasiri was quoted in the BKK Post as saying "Thaksin's appearance is unethical and unlawful." I and many other people tend to agree.

• Like 2

I think this would be a non-issue if T had not once again abused a public event to serve his own interests. Instead of restricting his opening speech to praising HM the King on the occasion of His birthday and strictly sticking to remarks concerning the Thai boxing tournament as such, he veered off into ramblings about himself and how he's being treated oh so unjustly. It all too often seems T simply doesn't have any sense of judging what is and what is not appropriate and decent in any given situation. Oh, that ego and despicable hypocrisy!

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 1

I think this would be a non-issue if T had not once again abused a public event to serve his own interests. Instead of restricting his opening speech to praising HM the King on the occasion of His birthday and strictly sticking to remarks concerning the Thai boxing tournament as such, he veered off into ramblings about himself and how oh so unjust he's being treated. It all too often seems T simply doesn't have any sense of judging what is and what is not appropriate and decent in any given situation. Oh, that ego and despicable clownery!

I didn't see this event. Did thaksin tell anyone to go screw their mother like he did before?

I think if Thaksin ever achieves amnesty or sets foot back in the country for any reason 2010 would resemble a squabble in a kindergarten playground.

It would definitely open the divide further & bring it onto the streets for an all out war !

That would be the time to leave the "land of smiles" far behind & seek a better country to reside.

whether he comes or stays away, the divide is here to stay for a long time.

some people are naive enough to think that his demise would somehow be a cure for the underlying problems.

life isn't so simple.

I am definitely convinced that his (Thaksin's) removal from this world (natural or with some help from humans) would solve a lot of problems in this country, although this is the most evil thought that one can have. The split of the Thai people is only related to one single argument: PRO or CONTRA Thaksin... nothing else! It's by the way the only reason for the existence of the red shirt movement (paid by him), that has been lured into this divisiveness through Shinawatra populism and loose promises, to be continued in the actual puppet government. For sure his demise will be a cure for the underlying problems that have been created by his populism and false promises! Can you see anyone else in this position to replace this fugitive? Remember when Napoleon was removed from power, exiled from France and however returned: it was short-lasting... and devastating!

• Like 1

Of course the royalists and the establishment cry foul. They used to broadcast only favorable opinions just like in North Korea or China. In any not backward country however it is very common that opposing voices are heard on TV. You could find interviews with Saddam and even with Bin Laden on American TV, the red brigades on German TV and and banned kings on European TV. Agreed Mark abhisit grew up in England, in England they are as idiot as in Thailand and IRA voices had to be played by actors, maybe that is a solution for the elite. It did not helped the English in any way.

• Like 1

"Thaksin's legal adviser Noppadon Pattama said Thaksin, like many other Thais, simply took the chance to express loyalty to His Majesty the King. The boxing show was organised to celebrate this occasion, he said"

What do the illegal advisers say?--biggrin.png .

I think if Thaksin ever achieves amnesty or sets foot back in the country for any reason 2010 would resemble a squabble in a kindergarten playground.

It would definitely open the divide further & bring it onto the streets for an all out war !

That would be the time to leave the "land of smiles" far behind & seek a better country to reside.

whether he comes or stays away, the divide is here to stay for a long time.

some people are naive enough to think that his demise would somehow be a cure for the underlying problems.

life isn't so simple.

But the healing of the Country can´t start until Thaksin is out of the picture.

so elaborate on what that healing will be without the one man thaksin, preferably in a non fantasy world version.

So you think Thaksin is the healer of the country? Keep on dreaming.

Love the way the PM is dragged into everything.

In how many countries does the PM have personal fore knowledge of every nights television schedules ??

And, as pointed out by GK, would you want the evening TV censored by the PM's office ??

It might be a good idea to censor all the mindless crappy soap opera's, quiz shows, and comedy acts (it's a comedy in its own right even referring to them as comedy).

are you creazy.... do you want the people start to THINK?????

In how many countries does the PM have personal fore knowledge of every nights television schedules ??

And, as pointed out by GK, would you want the evening TV censored by the PM's office ??

It might be a good idea to censor all the mindless crappy soap opera's, quiz shows, and comedy acts (it's a comedy in its own right even referring to them as comedy).

Good point.

Of course the royalists and the establishment cry foul. They used to broadcast only favorable opinions just like in North Korea or China. In any not backward country however it is very common that opposing voices are heard on TV. You could find interviews with Saddam and even with Bin Laden on American TV, the red brigades on German TV and and banned kings on European TV. Agreed Mark abhisit grew up in England, in England they are as idiot as in Thailand and IRA voices had to be played by actors, maybe that is a solution for the elite. It did not helped the English in any way.

What twaddle.

• Like 1

Personally I think it's wrong to blame Yingluck. It's the head of channel 11 & whoever in the management there that was responsible that should be investigated for allowing a convicted criminal air time to trot out his lies.

Yes. It seems incredible how other countries, in this case the Macau SAR, are willing to accomodate a convicted fugitive, travellling on an illegally issued passport. And then allowing him to appear on TV for some PR and propoganda. I guess it shows how far the tentacles of nepotism and corruption can reach.

The TV companies and organizers are to blame, not Yingluck.

• Like 1

Looking at the arguments for eliminating Thaksin from the situation, I have to ask what then? (I declare that I am totally against physical punishment to anyone)

Whatever your view of him is, Thaksin is a rallying point for the masses; don't forget that there is a huge population here. If the figurehead is gone, who is strong enough to take his place? I can't see anyone being able to do it long term.

With no central figure to bring everyone together, they will gather in groups, most likely regional. Perhaps the provinces will head towards nationalism, wanting self rule. The red shirts will always be voted in, the masses will always vote (or be persuaded to) and there is a lot more red than yellow in the country. The only way the Democrats can get into power is via military intervention. This isn't a flight of fantasy, what comes after the elimination has to be thought through very carefully. I believe the consequences will be dire.

On this subject, I have to say I've decided the best course of action is better the devil you know.

• Like 1

If you can find some footage of any of those you mention having a little political moan while opening a sporting event, I would like to see it.

And, How many banned kings have broadcast political moans on European TV? I'd really like to know the answer because it would make a great pub quiz question.

Looking at the arguments for eliminating Thaksin from the situation, I have to ask what then? (I declare that I am totally against physical punishment to anyone)

Whatever your view of him is, Thaksin is a rallying point for the masses; don't forget that there is a huge population here. If the figurehead is gone, who is strong enough to take his place? I can't see anyone being able to do it long term.

With no central figure to bring everyone together, they will gather in groups, most likely regional. Perhaps the provinces will head towards nationalism, wanting self rule. The red shirts will always be voted in, the masses will always vote (or be persuaded to) and there is a lot more red than yellow in the country. The only way the Democrats can get into power is via military intervention. This isn't a flight of fantasy, what comes after the elimination has to be thought through very carefully. I believe the consequences will be dire.

On this subject, I have to say I've decided the best course of action is better the devil you know.

Apart from being somewhat off topic, I disagree. The country is split and there are a lot more than PAD that profoundly dislike Thaksin. There's too much of the Mugabee in him. Besides no country should be governed by one family. I'd take the devil, angel or in-between that I don't know over the devil I know.

• Like 2

Good point.

Ah, Thai Visa members chortling as they patronise and insult their hosts - really, why don't you just jog on to the next domicile ?

Ah, Thai Visa members chortling as they patronise and insult their hosts - really, why don't you just jog on to the next domicile ?

Terribly sorry if we insulted your viewing preferences.

I find it interesting that such a long time member and infrequent poster would have read the posts on this topic as far as he did. I would have thought he would have seen what the topic was and just gone on to the next one.

Maybe it is an interesting topic that bears merit discussing in his view. I wish he would have proposed his view on the topic rather than the posters.

• Like 1