Isaan Farmers Meeting At Puparn Rdsc - January 2013

WormFarmer

Following on from the previous thread and as mentioned therein, John Clements and I visited the Royal Development Study Centre at Puparn. This is located about 3km off route no. 213 about 6km south east of Sakon Nakhon. The turn off is at a village called Ban Na Kum.

The place would be of interest to many members as they do research into all different branches of farming including: agriculture, irrigation, fishery, livestock, soil, forestry and integrated farming techniques; so we could learn a lot from them. A scan of their English language brochure describing what they do is attached. There is a map of how to find them at the end of the brochure.

They can arrange a half day tour around their facility. They would take the party round in their "tourist train" with a guide. At each different study site they would stop and explain what they are doing etc. tentative plan would be to start at 1pm until 4pm. If it was a Saturday we would have to pay baht 1,500 overtime for the driver and guide and there would not be so many staff working at the different sites, so a Friday would be a better option. We suggested 25 January 2013 which they could do. (I know this clashes with Ubon hash but we cannot all arrange our lives around Ubon hash!)

We found a resort (short time variety) a further 19km along route 213 towards Kalasin. We also found a sort of garden resort / restaurant 5 km past the resort. They have a number of timber salas in their grounds which we could hire for the evening, they have a reasonable menu (we had lunch there) and also serve beer. They also have a BBQ which we could use but they don't provide the food (they will provide charcoal) so if anyone was prepared to bring the necessary food you could do your own BBQ.

Our idea is that after the visit to the Study Centre we could go to the restaurant for a social dinner and evening, going back 5km to the resort to sleep. As we expect most members would return home via route 213 this location seemed like the best option. We did not investigate hotels / resorts in Sakon Nakhon as these are likely to be more expensive (and anyway we didn't have time!)

For this option to work we need say a minimum of 6 members (plus wives) and we need to be able to pre-book the Study Centre. Alternatively if it doesn't work because not enough members are interested we need a volunteer to host the next meeting.

Can we please have any comments and confirmations of numbers who would attend such a meeting asap.

Puparn RDSC.pdf

Edited by WormFarmer

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Having started this new topic I must also add that previously some members had already responded positively, so to save them repeating their comments I add them below:

WF,

Thanks for the effort and the information. That place is just my cup of tea. A week wouldn't be long enough for me to soak it all in. There are a number of farmers on this forum who are considerably closer to SN than me. This should attract a new lot of attendees. Lets hope so. If I can get someone to cover for me I would love to go.

What say you guys?

WormFarmer.

Sorry not to have replied earlier but have had the dreaded connection problem!!

a). Thank you and John so very much for taking the day out to research into what the Royal Developemant Study Centre at Puparn offers

and

cool.png. Your very good report above not only including Centre's brochure, which looks very interesting and diversified, but also researching accommodation and watering holes in the area as well!

At present I am fairly free around the time suggested so I (and hopefully Ting if tapping is finished for the Fall which is 99% certain) would be a definite for the visit so all being well we can reach the quarum needed fairly soon and then swell beyond it.

Thanks again.

Anthony.

I think I would definitely be interested if something like this could be organised. I would have 5 or 6 hours drive. I have mentioned on this forum already that I am not interested in doing any farming myself after what I have seen here. Anything to do with horticulture, agriculture, botany or the environment is definitely my glass of beer. Come on guys, let's get organised. Friday would be ok for me, with wife.

Thanks Ray.

So it looks like we'll have enough members to make it worthwhile, therefore I confirm that the date will be FRIDAY 25 January 2013 (Robert Burns's birthday so any Scot can wear the kilt - for those that don't know he was Scotland's most famous poet, who amoung other works wrote Auld Lang Syne which we all know). I'll post any more relevant details nearer the date, but for now assume you need to be there ready for a 1pm start.

We hope that a few more will sign up, we can keep it open until mid January, and yes Fatfather, I agree that January has 31 days but I am sorry you won't be able to make it on 25th, we'll look forward to seeing you again at meeting no. 8 wherever that may be.

Thanks Ray.

So it looks like we'll have enough members to make it worthwhile, therefore I confirm that the date will be FRIDAY 25 January 2013 (Robert Burns's birthday so any Scot can wear the kilt - for those that don't know he was Scotland's most famous poet, who amoung other works wrote Auld Lang Syne which we all know). I'll post any more relevant details nearer the date, but for now assume you need to be there ready for a 1pm start.

We hope that a few more will sign up, we can keep it open until mid January, and yes Fatfather, I agree that January has 31 days but I am sorry you won't be able to make it on 25th, we'll look forward to seeing you again at meeting no. 8 wherever that may be.

Count us in as well -me and the mia -one more room.

ah ok, that's me plus better half confirmed. I will have turned 65 the day before so may buy a round or two.

I might be there for the round(s)? biggrin.png

That is if the Ubon Hash will allow it........................whistling.gif

ah ok, that's me plus better half confirmed. I will have turned 65 the day before so may buy a round or two.

I might be there for the round(s)? biggrin.png

That is if the Ubon Hash will allow it........................whistling.gif

Hi Bergen, is that a yes or a no or a maybe?huh.png

Hi WF, it's a maybe, but hoping for a yes later! biggrin.png

Hi everyone MERRY CHRISTMAS . Wee and I will be comming to the meet. How much room is there at the Resort ? We will decide about the room later.

Hi there, and a MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND WEE TOO. To answer your question: there are 8 largish rooms and about a further 8 smaller rooms. All fairly standard short-time resort stuff. The restaurant place also has a few rooms, but they are pretty basic. One room sleeps up to 6 people - ie. three mattresses on the floor although I imagine it would be possible to book sole occupancy with the right number of baht.

Fergus the wife and I will want a room to ourslves, I'm sure Alvin will as well. This is not something we do eveyday and enjoy our privacy.

Don't worry Ray - sorry to cause confusion - the basic multiple-people rooms (family rooms) that I mentioned are at the place where we shall be meeting for a meal in the evening. The resort we are planning on using has individual cottages with bathroom en-suite.

• 2 weeks later...

WF.

With Christmas upon us followed shortly by the New Year, I would like to thank you for all your work in thinking up, checking the Royal project out, finding suitable accomodation and a feeding trough and then organising us on this topic.

Well done and thanks.

The whole idea is origional and something different for us and I much look forward seeing old and meeting new friends on it.

Any more of you coming to join us?

Should be both interesting and fun,

anyway

Happy Christmas and Healthy New Year to you all.

Anthony.

Hello All,

I'd like to attend this as well. I live in Sakon, so no room necessary and we have a 1 year old at home so I'll have to pass on the dinner. But I will be there for the tour, etc....

Erich

Hi Erich, all duly noted.

Incidentally if anyone else wants to know a bit more about RDSC Puparn in advance, Erich (TV name: boblunch) tells me he knows the place well and often visits, so he's the man to ask.

I was very much looking forward to this. Up here near Lampang I discover that a family plot has been hatched and that there will be a combined wedding/birthday party here on the 24th, transport has been arranged for me. I suppose that I will be paying part of the bill. I hope another meeting will happen next year. year, this is the second time I had to cancel, dam_n it.

Happy new year guys.

I was very much looking forward to this. Up here near Lampang I discover that a family plot has been hatched and that there will be a combined wedding/birthday party here on the 24th, transport has been arranged for me. I suppose that I will be paying part of the bill. I hope another meeting will happen next year. year, this is the second time I had to cancel, dam_n it.

Happy new year guys.

OK understood, have a good party, see you another time maybe.

Ray,

There aren't any fair sized cities near to the Royal Development Study Centre. If you use your navigator to get to Sakon Nakhon then programme it to take the road from Sakon Nakhon to Kalasin, with any luck that will take you down Route 213 in a generally south westerly direction. You will cross Route 223 which is the western ring road of Sakon Nakhon. From that crossing travel about 6.9 km along route 213 to the village of Ban Na Kum. In this village there is a cross roads where you turn left (if coming from Sakon Nakhon) and the Centre is about 3 km down that road. The turn off in Ban Na Kum is not well sign-posted so you better get your wife to ask someone in the village which is the right road. There are signs in Thai along the road to the Centre, follow the signs to the Office or Administration.

There is a map on the back page of the brochure I attached to my first opening post, I also attach a map here of the general area from Sakon Nakhon to the Centre. Note that Puparn is also spelt Phu Phan depending on which map you look at. If you have trouble printing the attached map in .pdf format let me know and I'll send you the same map in MS Word.

You need to be at the Development Centre Office at Puparn by no later than 12:45pm as the tour starts at 1:00pm sharp.

Map to Phuphan RDSC.pdf

Thanks Fergus spelling did the trick it's in the GPS

183 Klms good excuse to get the bike out.

OK Ray, but don't just blindly follow your navigator - because PhuPhan town is a further 20 kms or so past where you want to turn off. There are several other places scattered around Amphur PhuPhan which your navigator might pick up, such as PhuPhan Royal Palace and PhuPhan National Park all of which are past the turn-off to RDSC Phuphan (assuming you are coming from Sakon Nakhon). So beware and follow the instuctions I gave you to the turn-off in the village of Ban Na Kum. See attached map for relative locations of Ban Na Kum, RDSC and PhuPhan Town.

Map of all PhuPhans.pdf

• Like 1