Lost Passport Advice Needed

Does anybody know the process of getting a new passport if you have lost yours? Immigration suggested that we move to Hong Kong as they don't want English people here anyway. This is clearly not possible as there is no passport to travel on, although tempting. We understand we have to apply via Hong Kong does anybody know how to get your Non B visa back in your new passport or how to aviod weeks of overstay while you wait for Hong Kong to send your passport to you. Any advice much appreciated.

There is no way around it , you have to send to HK , which then sends to the uk , and with Xmas being round the corner might take a while

You can get your new stamps from immigration in bkk , not sure I'd they do in samui

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

The new passport comes from Hong Kong, if you need to travel you can ask for an emergency passport from your embassy.

If you have a new (emergency) passport, you go to immigration with the new passport and your police report about the passport being lost. Immigration will place your old permission to stay in the new passport. If you had a valid visa and were on a visa entry, you get the permision to stay back but not the visa. You will need to get a new visa after the permision to stay ends.

If you already are on an extension of stay, no new visa is required.

If you would be on overstay, you need to pay 500 baht per day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

• Like 1

Thanks Mario. The passport has a Non B visa in it that gives three months at a time, that runs out tomorrow, boarder bounce came up and the passport has vanished. The visa is good for another six months. Can you get round the overstay by having an emergency passport?

Sue,

i have been through this nightmare myself a few years ago.

There is no way around it, you would be better off going to the UK on a temp passport & getting a new one there. ( When it happened to me Bangkok issued new passports).

Also, get a new visa there too, you cannot transfer your visa here, it is lost forever, Do you have photocopies of the visa page??

My experience cost in excess of 40k Baht.

Give me a call tomorrow, i'll tell you all about it....

Thanks Mario. The passport has a Non B visa in it that gives three months at a time, that runs out tomorrow, boarder bounce came up and the passport has vanished. The visa is good for another six months. Can you get round the overstay by having an emergency passport?

Yes, you can leave Thailand on it and try to get a new non-B visa on it. Might take a few days to issue, but would limit your overstay.

The new passport comes from Hong Kong, if you need to travel you can ask for an emergency passport from your embassy.

If you have a new (emergency) passport, you go to immigration with the new passport and your police report about the passport being lost. Immigration will place your old permission to stay in the new passport. If you had a valid visa and were on a visa entry, you get the permision to stay back but not the visa. You will need to get a new visa after the permision to stay ends.

If you already are on an extension of stay, no new visa is required.

If you would be on overstay, you need to pay 500 baht per day, with a maximum of 20,000 baht.

The new passport does not come from Hong Kong, it comes from IPS in the UK.

A UK Emergency Passport will only be issued if you have a genuine reason to travel. If it is a single journey one, then upon arrival in the UK it is taken off you, so then you would have to apply for a New full UK passport.

Taken from wikipedia, might not be upto date.

Use

The emergency passport can be used to make a single or return journey to the UK or another country of residence, via a maximum of five transit countries.[4]

The emergency passport is issued with a validity which is limited to the shortest time appropriate to the holder’s travel requirements whilst taking account of the transit and destination country requirements (for example, many countries require travel documents to have a minimum validity of six months).

Providing an itinerary

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office state that on applying for an Emergency Travel Document "You will be asked to provide an itinerary for your journey". [5] However 'providing an itinerary' is not the same as 'booking a ticket' and if a passport has been reported lost or stolen using LS01 the applicant will have completed a declaration "I understand that completing and returning this form will result in the related passport being cancelled, that it may never be used again"[6] which would appear to indicate that the number of the lost/stolen passport cannot be used to book any tickets.

for correct information go to fco.gov.uk or the Embassy website in Bangkok

Edited by beano2274

I lost my US passport last month. I immediately filed a police report at my district police station. US replacement pretty straightforward: download forms from the Embassy website, make an appointment, bring copies of police report, copy of passport, previous expired passport and certified copy of birth certificate along with 2"X2" photo and $130. I turned it all in on a Monday and had the new passport in 8 days. Went to Thai immigration at Chiang Wattana same day I picked up the passport, arriving just as lunch break finished. I have a multi entry non. immigrant O with retirement extension. At the Information Desk, I showed my Police report and a explanatory letter from the Embassy. I was given a very simple form asking name, address, old passport number and last date and location of entry.

I filled it out, got it copied downstairs and went to the inside info desk and got a number for lost passport section.

My afternoon would have been a lot shorter and easier if I had also had copies of my visa pages but I didn't so everything had to be looked up and verified. I bounced back and forth between Lost Passport, Non Im. visa and multi entry offices for the rest of the afternoon but by 4pm had all my stamps restored to my new passport at no cost what so ever, not one Baht.

Advice to all: copy your visa pages as well as the front page of your passport. It will make things easier if you ever are as unlucky as I was in loosing my passport.

o

Edited by dddave

Yes, you can leave Thailand on it and try to get a new non-B visa on it. Might take a few days to issue, but would limit your overstay.

OP: When my passport was stolen I was informed that visa transfer to a replacement passport would only be possible if the visa was issued in Thailand, not possible if obtained overseas.

Edited by simple1

Sue,

i have been through this nightmare myself a few years ago.

There is no way around it, you would be better off going to the UK on a temp passport & getting a new one there. ( When it happened to me Bangkok issued new passports).

Also, get a new visa there too, you cannot transfer your visa here, it is lost forever, Do you have photocopies of the visa page??

My experience cost in excess of 40k Baht.

Give me a call tomorrow, i'll tell you all about it....

Do I have your number?