Nokia Lumia 920 - Anyone Seen Any Yet ?

Spoonman

Finally got two delivered today. It's heavier than the S3 but not overly so. Needs a micro-sim, so I'm waiting for the telco to xfer my number to the new chip and charging it while I wait.

One's white, the other black. I have to say I prefer the black, but that's more because I can imagine how grubby the white one will get with daily use.

More tomorrow.

Edited by Chicog

I do like the resizeable tiles - makes it very easy to set up a nice layout. It's a simple but vast improvement.

Speed wise it's much faster than my HD7.

The "People" tile, which integrates FB, Twitter and so on is quite a nice feature - I'll wait till the morning to see how it looks with a few notifications.

Things like Smart Shoot (a photo app) and Nokia Drive Beta (Navigation) need to be downloaded from the store, but quick and easy.

Nokia City Lens is like Google Local but it seems to find an awful lot more. And there's Local Scout which does the same thing - not sure what the difference is at first glance.

Volume control is interesting - you get to 20/30 and it stops and gives you a warning about deafening yourself with headphones on!

It's a sleek looking, very useable device, so I'm going to play with it for the rest of the week and I'll let you know how it goes.

I do like the resizeable tiles - makes it very easy to set up a nice layout. It's a simple but vast improvement.

Speed wise it's much faster than my HD7.

The "People" tile, which integrates FB, Twitter and so on is quite a nice feature - I'll wait till the morning to see how it looks with a few notifications.

Things like Smart Shoot (a photo app) and Nokia Drive Beta (Navigation) need to be downloaded from the store, but quick and easy.

Nokia City Lens is like Google Local but it seems to find an awful lot more. And there's Local Scout which does the same thing - not sure what the difference is at first glance.

Volume control is interesting - you get to 20/30 and it stops and gives you a warning about deafening yourself with headphones on!

It's a sleek looking, very useable device, so I'm going to play with it for the rest of the week and I'll let you know how it goes.

Can you make a phone call with it? wink.png

I love Nokia Drive (Navigation). It's still in beta, but you download an update to it, download the voice file of your choice (it comes with US Male as default - yuk) and download the map you require. I'm in the Middle East, but it has 89 countries so I'm guessing Thailand will be in there.

It locates really quickly, and takes seconds to get to the point where it's telling you where to go (politely of course).

On an aesthetic note, all of my colleagues absolutely love the interface, shape and weight of the phone and think it makes Apple look sh*t (which, coming from a bunch of mostly iphone fans shows how disappointing the iphone 5 is!).

The older Nokia maps were terrible. Many errors. They have made major improvements and corrected their mistakes. From just looking at the Nokia maps on my computer, the Thailand map looks great. Great detail and very accurate. I was miffed because the new version won't work on my three year old Nokia. I don't want the new map enough to buy a new Nokia phone. To date, I haven't found ANY map that is acceptable for my Android phone. I would buy the Nokia map if Nokia were to make the full version compatible with Android.

Edited by Gary A

AT&T Wireless is featuring the 920 for the holiday period. $99.99 with a 2-year contract.

Reviews are generally positive. Nokia did get caught fudging the video recording capabilities - they actually used professional equipment - but they came clean quickly.

Also, many U.S. TV shows have 920 product placements - characters shown using the device in lengthy close-ups and commenting on the features. (Product placement "rules" have gotten a bit crazy as they now require a demonstration of a minimum of two features.)

I still wish they'd make Android phones.

If they did, I'm fairly certain Microsoft would want their $1 Billion back.

And their CEO.

Again, I was voicing a wish. I am pretty familiar with the Nokia/MSFT relationship - I still have friends there from my days working for Nokia.

If they did, I'm fairly certain Microsoft would want their $1 Billion back.

And their CEO.

Again, I was voicing a wish. I am pretty familiar with the Nokia/MSFT relationship - I still have friends there from my days working for Nokia.

I tend to share your sentiment, but if anyone needs to start making Android phones - and quick - it's Bilgeberry.

short apple and long ms and nokia. smile.png

This phone is a game changer and will be (together with other versions) the new cashcow for both companies.

The whole xbox360 generation will love it too.

Bye apple, good riddance!

What is Samsung going to do? I hope they make a winphone soon because i like the Samsung products a lot.

Edited by Khun Jean

short apple and long ms and nokia. smile.png

This phone is a game changer and will be (together with other versions) the new cashcow for both companies.

The whole xbox360 generation will love it too.

Bye apple, good riddance!

What is Samsung going to do? I hope they make a winphone soon because i like the Samsung products a lot.

http://www.samsung.com/global/ativ/ativ_s.html

Chicog

I am returning to Chiang Mai for my annual vacation and thinking of buying one too...i've a ipod touch 5 and a bb and have been resisting the apple phone for a long time as I dont really need one and the itunes is a major pain even though on the itouch it's bearable.

I like the window tile interface, the sleek look on the web, does it creates a strong hotspot. wondering if you had a chance to test the 8 mps camera is it really better than apple images ?

is the Thai "3G" fast enough for the interfaces ? LTE

Cheers

Lawrence

Chicog

I am returning to Chiang Mai for my annual vacation and thinking of buying one too...i've a ipod touch 5 and a bb and have been resisting the apple phone for a long time as I dont really need one and the itunes is a major pain even though on the itouch it's bearable.

I like the window tile interface, the sleek look on the web, does it creates a strong hotspot. wondering if you had a chance to test the 8 mps camera is it really better than apple images ?

is the Thai "3G" fast enough for the interfaces ? LTE

Cheers

Lawrence

I'd like to be able to answer your questions, but unfortunately I've sent them out to users to try out, and I won't get them back before I fly on Friday.

But if they have them at Airport Plaza, maybe you could ask for a demo and try these out yourself?