Versys - First Impression

seedy

Brian did you already get the new bike or are you waiting for it?

Picked it up today. What a great bike. Very easy to balance and ride. Probably the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. It does get a bit buzzy when you get close to 100, but other than that I am very happy.

Congrats again. Wish you nice rides and two ups!

Post your impressions time by time.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian did you already get the new bike or are you waiting for it?

Picked it up today. What a great bike. Very easy to balance and ride. Probably the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. It does get a bit buzzy when you get close to 100, but other than that I am very happy.

Two suggestions Brian.

1. Try changing the rear sprocket to a 44T. Makes it a much smoother ride and you can still pretty much beat everyone off the line if you like.

2. With the wet season coming soon, consider changing the stock tires. The OEM Dunlops don't do that well in the wet (they are perfectly fine in the dry though).

Any suggestions on tires

Tires for what kind of riding?

I put Pirelli Angels ST on mine and will definitely do so again. They are 100% road, not for off road but ok for the occasional gravel and dirt but most important is that they are very good in the wet, which this being end Jan, the rains are coming soon.

They are also very durable, you should be able to easily get 16k or more out of them. I've already done 10k on mine and they don't even look 50% used (I'm not an aggressive rider, only speed up when the road is clear and slow right down when in heavy traffic, though I've managed to get my chicken strips down to about 0.5 - 1 cm, tks to the MHS loop).

Another good tyre is the Pirelli Scorpion Trails - 90% on road and 10% off. However, I understand that they are slightly less durable but not by that much.

Michelin Pilot 3 get rave reviews for wet weather use and they also combine good grips levels with longevity in the dry too.

If you want balls to the wall grip with a reasonable life span (8000km-12,000km) then Pirelli Rosso IIs would be the best and only bet in my opinion.

I'm currently running a Rosso II rear and a SuperCorsa Pro front on my Ninja650. I know plenty riders using the Rossos both at the track and on the road, i have no idea if you plan to go to a track but the point i'm trying to make is, these tyres grip grip Grrrrip, not a bad thing on these slippery Thai roads wink.png

Edited by karlos

Any suggestions on tires

Tires for what kind of riding?

Some city riding, but mostly touring. No plans to go off-road just yet.

If mostly touring I bet you have a pretty good selection available.

The Pirelli Angels or Michelin Pilots 2& 3 mentioned would both be great.

Even some Dunlop sport max or road smart

Battlax too if you see them available make great tires.

If touring you probably want more mileage than the Rosso II's will give you

but they are as Karlos said very sticky & that can be fun.

I am enjoying this tread as I am planing to put down a deposit when on holidays in April for delivery Oct. Please keep up the reports and

congrats on a lovely bike.

I'm yet to meet a Versys owner that has anything other than rave comments about the bike. It's arguably one of the most "fun" bikes out there.

Technologically, the current model is about 4-5 years old - is that right? All the "newer" models are just facelifts and aesthetic enhancements. I wonder if and when Kawa will release an improved model.

I am enjoying this tread as I am planing to put down a deposit when on holidays in April for delivery Oct. Please keep up the reports and

I'm yet to meet a Versys owner that has anything other than rave comments about the bike. It's arguably one of the most "fun" bikes out there.

Technologically, the current model is about 4-5 years old - is that right? All the "newer" models are just facelifts and aesthetic enhancements. I wonder if and when Kawa will release an improved model.

Does look like a fun bike!

You know that is also a good thing when a model is well tested & they make small refinements.

Same with the Ninja 250 which went many years with little or no changes then FI then this years refinements & displacement bump for

some countries.

One thing I have always wondered about the Versys,

How did they score the better suspension yet Kawasaki not pass it on to the ER6 models?

I bet a few ER6 & ER6N owners ask that too.

Edited by mania

It has been a week now with the Versys. I have been trying to ride it as much as possible. Mostly as a commuter from home to work though. It took some getting used to, but I am getting more and more confident on it every day. Going through traffic was a little tricky at first, but now split lanes just as easily as on my PCX. I love how you can just go right over potholes and speed bumps and barely feel them. I actually look forward to bad roads now. The launch from first seemed a bit weird at first, as I'm more used to riding my CBR 250 and 1000. I think I was just a bit intimidated by the height of the bike and was still getting a feel for the clutch. The acceleration is good and you can really feel the low and mid-range torque. I can't wait to tour on it.

• Like 1

Diablo Rosso IIs - seconded. The best tires I had on my Versys so far. I also liked the old Battlax BT021 but the new BT023 seem to be hard to get up here in Chiang Mai.

I currently have Scorpion Trails - they seem to last reasonably long, and they're very sticky but they're much flatter than the DRIIs so getting the bike into a turn has become a lot harder. When I first left the shop I felt like I was riding a whale but I have gotten a little more used to it now. But overall the gain from the Trails - better wet performance, and much better dirt performance - isn't worth it. I never go on dirt anyway and if I did I'd want something with knobs, like MT-60s.

If you really want some fun try Supercorsas - endless grip. Unfortunately, the fun ends after about 4,000 km when you have to replace them... 555

Edited by nikster

Michelin Pilot 3 get rave reviews for wet weather use and they also combine good grips levels with longevity in the dry too.

If you want balls to the wall grip with a reasonable life span (8000km-12,000km) then Pirelli Rosso IIs would be the best and only bet in my opinion.

I'm currently running a Rosso II rear and a SuperCorsa Pro front on my Ninja650. I know plenty riders using the Rossos both at the track and on the road, i have no idea if you plan to go to a track but the point i'm trying to make is, these tyres grip grip Grrrrip, not a bad thing on these slippery Thai roads wink.png

Diablo Rosso II's on mine, love 'em. Up twisty mountain roads they give me confidence. Congrats on your Versys, put's a smile on yer face, don't it?

• Like 1

Diablo Rosso II's on mine, love 'em. Up twisty mountain roads they give me confidence. Congrats on your Versys, put's a smile on yer face, don't it?

How do the Rosso II's compare with Pirelli Angels in the wet?

One thing I have always wondered about the Versys,

How did they score the better suspension yet Kawasaki not pass it on to the ER6 models?

I bet a few ER6 & ER6N owners ask that too.

I read on another (kawa) forum that the higher -spec suspension is the reason why a versys costs around 40-50k more than an er6n

In markets with other bike brands available,maybe they need to keep the er6n price competitive ?

from what ive read on kawa 650 boards ,it is not difficult to upgrade the er6 with versys forks and rear shock and alloy swingarm as well but the cost of ordering these parts alone exceeds the price differnce between versys and er6n from kwacker so it works out even more expensive in the end to get an er6n as

comfortable as a versys

• Like 2

How do the Rosso II's compare with Pirelli Angels in the wet?

Never had Angels but they're harder than the DRIIs so I imagine it would probably be about even.

You don't wanna go all that fast in the wet anyway... I got carried away with the Scorpion Trails grip in the wet, went too fast, hit an oil patch, and high-sided. Whoops!! Got away with just a few scratches on both rider and bike, very lucky considering the circumstances, but not something I'd want to repeat.

I think I'll get some use out of the stock tires until the rainy season starts. Then I'll swap them out for some Roso IIs. On another note, I'm thinking of trading in my Fireblade for a VFR.

I had a look at the VFR at BigWing yesterday, and I have to say that would make an awesome touring bike. Photos don't really do the bike justice.

I think I'll get some use out of the stock tires until the rainy season starts. Then I'll swap them out for some Roso IIs. On another note, I'm thinking of trading in my Fireblade for a VFR.

you can change your fireblade with my cbr500 Brian:))

you have a perfect tourer versys already now so why another tourer vfr1200?

although it is a dream bike:)

you can change your fireblade with my cbr500 Brian:))

you have a perfect tourer versys already now so why another tourer vfr1200?

although it is a dream bike:)

The VFR will be my tourer and the Versys will be my urban assault vehicle. Perfect combination. We are going to be selling a lot of accessories for the new Honda 500s, so we still might get one to use as a show/display bike.

• Like 1

Ordered the VFR yesterday. I should get it sometime in March.

Congrats !

Your a bit of a kid in a candy store aren't you? wink.png

You lucky boy smile.png

Thanks, I do have to give up the Fireblade though. They offered me 650,000 as a trade-in. I'll miss the Fireblade for sure, but I really can't complain.

• Like 1

Congrats !

You lucky boy smile.png

Thanks, I do have to give up the Fireblade though. They offered me 650,000 as a trade-in. I'll miss the Fireblade for sure, but I really can't complain.

Is the current price of that bike 960,000 as stated on the bigbike webiste brian? How do you think it compares to the yamaha fz1..? Saw it at the babgkok bike show, selling for just under 600,000 and looked pretty nice and also a very capable sports tourer?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

Congrats !

You lucky boy smile.png

Wow seems like it's a new bike for you every week congrats, bit of a heavy lose on the blade though.