New Vigo Vs Older Hilux

Gary A

I have a 2002 Toyota Hilux non turbo 3.0 liter four door four wheel drive. It is very road worthy and has a good stick to the road feeling at highway speeds. It gets about 10.5 kilometers per liter on a trip. The thing I really hate about it is the appalling lack of power. Since I also have a 2004 Nissan 3.0 liter non turbo diesel so it's not like I'm complaining without knowing. The Nissan is a two wheel drive but the engine is quieter, much smoother especially at idle and much more efficient. The Toyota has a better more comfortable seat for driving long distance and the road manners are better than the Nissan but the Nissan at over 14 kilometers per liter with more power is a lot better. I think the Toyota would be better all around if it had a stronger more efficient engine. It seems to me that the power band of the Nissan is MUCH wider than the Toyota. The Toyota doesn't seem to make much power until it is revving over 2,700 RPM.

I'd like to buy a new four wheel drive and at this point am leaning towards a Chevy but I'd like to hear opinions from guys who have traded their old Toyota for a new Vigo.

New Vigo would have the more modern D4D common rail engine. One of the best out there, currently. Chevy/Isuzu share the same engine, which is also common rail now (iTeq they call it I think).

All of them should give you excellent mileage and appropriate performance.

Or consider buying a better seat and tweaking the suspension of your Nissan a bit. :o Saves money.

Or trade it in for a later model second hand Toyota tiger with that same D4D engine.. Saves the initial finanical-massacre of driving a new car out of the showroom.

I have always noticed that Nissans have much more powerful engines than the others even though they are pretty much the same, never quite put my finger on that.

Road manners aren't as good though.

Re your Toyota, are you sure it doesn't need some work? Being a 2002 model it may be due for injectors etc. Just a thought, It should go pretty well considering it's a 3 litre.

Vigo's are quite far ahead in terms of upgrades compared to the old Tigers. The D4d's are about the best out there for refinement.

One of the rubber boots on a front CV joint is torn so I'm going to take it to the Toyota dealer and have them check the vehicle from top to bottom and front to back as well as have the CV boots replaced. Since it doesn't smoke I doubt they will find any problem with the injection but that remains to be seen.

I have always noticed that Nissans have much more powerful engines than the others even though they are pretty much the same, never quite put my finger on that.

Road manners aren't as good though.

Re your Toyota, are you sure it doesn't need some work? Being a 2002 model it may be due for injectors etc. Just a thought, It should go pretty well considering it's a 3 litre.

Vigo's are quite far ahead in terms of upgrades compared to the old Tigers. The D4d's are about the best out there for refinement.

I think the turbo chargers they put in these trucks make a BIG difference. My father-in-law has a 2001 Toyota Hilux Tiger D4D and it has good power for a 2.5 liter engine. The cab behind the seats provides decent space for a small pickup. I believe the Vigo is slightly bigger on the inside and the seats are nice and comfy. Some of the interior parts on the Vigo are not as good of quality as the same parts on the older Tiger. The body of the Vigo is also bigger....close to the size of a Ford F-150. For handling, I think they're about the same.

I've heard of the D-Max getting 14km/liter which is excellent mileage but those trucks tend to get shaky after 100,000km. Price wise, I think the Toyota is one of the cheaper trucks out there.