Big Satellite Tv Antenna

simon43

I'm busy getting a house built in Phuket. One thing I want to do is to install a BIG satellite TV antenna, for reception of alternative channels over the usual UBC offerings.

I'm a techie so happy with the installation and what I might be able to view. But are there any rules in Thailand which restrict the antenna size that you can use?

In the UK its one small dish and then you need planning permission for a second dish or a larger dish.

The size of antenna that I'm looking to install could be up to 6-8 metres diametre if they let me :o

Simon

Simon43, I'ld like to know where you're going to get a dish that big to begin with first. I would also like to know why you need one that big, the dishes I've sen here are only around 2-2.5 metres. I'm looking for a dish setup myself and if you know where I can get one please let me know. They have some in Central Phin Klo for about 28,000 baht but they're small. You being the techie maybe you got a line on the box you need to go with that dish. Thanks but I don't know what the rules are though.

Hi Kringle - A dish of this size would need to be imported and installed by the manufacturer, plus all the ancillary tracking/positioning equipment. So its not a weekend job. Maybe talking about $20,000 or so :o

Why do I need such a big dish? No one needs a dish this size unless they are slightly crazy about long-distance satellite TV receiption :D I worked for about 15 years as a satellite/rocket designer in Europe (hey I'm a rocket scientist!). So I have an interest in such long-distance reception. Expensive hobby yes!!

But actually you don't need such a large dish to receive many TV channels in Thailand. With your 2-2.5 metre dish you will be able to receive a whole load of interesting channels! Take a look at http://www.satcodx3.com/eng/ where you can lots of information and advice about satellite TV reception.

For a smaller dish you would need your satellite TV receiver and motorised actuator (which the TV receiver uses to control and move the antenna along the orbital path of the broadcasting satellites). These should not be that expensive. (A good motorised satellite TV receiver will be around 10,000-15,000 bht plus about 7000 for a good actuator). Maybe Pantip Plaza is a good start (although I cannot actually recall seeing these equipments when I was last there).

Good luck

Simon

Dear Simon,

Being a rocket scientist, maybe you can educate the rest of us on the possibilities of the satellite TV receiption here in Thailand, Bangkok. I believe that major news, sports and movies channels are of the interest to the majority of board members. The technical and legal aspects, if any.

Maybe it can provide an alternative to UBC, is it ???

I've noticed that Thaicom2,3 transmit all the interesting channels, although they are encrypted. Or maybe you can suggest another alternative.

P.S.

We have a huge satellite dish on top of our Condo that almost nobody using, since a very limited choice of channels and bad quality of transmission.

Hi condo_bk, thanks for your posting.

Well, the legal side in LOS I'm not too sure about, hence my original posting :o

As for the technical side, yes I can help here, but my comments might not be what you are looking for. You can indeed receive a whole load of other satellite TV channels, apart from those offered by UBC. But the vast majority of these additional channels tend not to be in English. There are loads of chinese channels available, as well as indian languages, malaysian, indonesian etc. With a dish of adequate size you can also receive some Australian TV feeds, but note the 'feed' bit. That means the channel is being carried on the satellite to deliver it to a designated area or business customer (eg cable company). So many of these feeds tend to come and go and you can't expect to receive reliable programming every day.

As for receiving satellite TV channels direct from Amercia or Europe, this cannot be achieved (even with a BIG dish!). Those areas are 'over the horizon' when you are in Thailand, and the curvature of the earth means you end up pointing your dish at the ground...

Really the only English language channels that you can receive are those channels er .. on UBC! So its the likes of CNN Asia, BBC Asia etc.

Yes, you can source decoders for Thaicom etc, but I'm sure their use in Thailand might be a bit naughty...

Simon

Hi,

You wont ever need a dish of that size for TV reception, for reference, here is a pic of a 7.2M dish that's installed at the facility I work at. It is indeed huge.

A 1.8Mc-band dish with auto alignment control will give you access to hundreds of free channels. I got to put one up in a few weeks for my house, and will let you know how it is.

Cheers,

./P

Well, the legal side in LOS I'm not too sure about...

As for the technical side...  You can indeed receive a whole load of other satellite TV channels, apart from those offered by UBC...  you can also receive some Australian TV feeds, but note the 'feed' bit.  That means the channel is being carried on the satellite to deliver it to a designated area or business customer (eg cable company).  So many of these feeds tend to come and go and you can't expect to receive reliable programming every day.

Really the only English language channels that you can receive are those channels er .. on UBC! So its the likes of CNN Asia, BBC Asia etc.

Yes, you can source decoders for Thaicom etc, but I'm sure their use in Thailand might be a bit naughty...

Simon

Hi Simon,

Re: the 'feed' bit

Are the UBC channels also relate to that category? If so, even decrypting them will not help too much, if I understood correctly.

Re: UBC alternatives

Speaking of English speaking channels transmitted by Thaicom2,3, they are actually offered to UBC subscribers, as cable or satellite service.

As far as my understanding goes, it should be technically possible and legal to receive the satellite transmissions, but questionable, if one want to decrypt the signal. Is it so?

Maybe Dr. Patpong or some other members can clear up this matter.

Hi Phazey - yes you are quite right about the size of the antenna, if you only want to receive Asian satellite TV channels. My need for a very large dish is because I enjoy watching satellite TV channels way outside their intended footprint coverage. Also use the dish for satellite comms research etc.

But does anyone know what gov dept I need to ask about this dish? I'm sure if a dish this size turns up at Thai customs they will want to know what its for :o

Simon

Phazey;

You wont ever need a dish of that size for TV reception, for reference, here is a pic of a 7.2M dish that's installed at the facility I work at. It is indeed huge.

That thing is bigget than my D1cK - It can NEVER be practical....

btw, where can I buy one fom :o

Mattnich: It's nice to know you are less than 7.2M :o (btw there is a 11.5M dish out of shot - but i posted the littler one to be relevent) :D

Simon34: well....if you're outside of the birds footbrint them um...best of luck getting a signal. Also the fact that something like this would cost you over $100,000 LESS RF equipment. Why not buy DVD's, thems cheap in TH :D

Dishes this size are that way because of transmission of signal, and not reception.

Also take into account the amount of live TV station streams there are available (premiere league footy at work (in polish)!)

Cheers,

./P

ps: i'll take some pictures of the packaging/details of the one at my mates place that does auto-tracking - perhaps that will send you off on a path.....

Hi Phazey - thanks for your comments. I worked for yonks in the satellite business, so I'm happy to source the equipment (got a whole load in my flat in the UK...). But I do need to sort ouit the legal side of this dish in Thailand. I don't want this equipment impounded at customs :o

Cheers

Simon

• 2 years later...

hi simon,

i have recently moved to thailand from india.

i have a dish antenna in india of apprx same size as ubc dish, it also has a decoder. will both of these work in thailand?

how can i receive indian channels in thailand.

plz advise.

regards,

bhupi

hi simon,

i have recently moved to thailand from india.

i have a dish antenna in india of apprx same size as ubc dish, it also has a decoder. will both of these work in thailand?

how can i receive indian channels in thailand.

plz advise.

regards,

bhupi

You just responded to a post that is exactly 3 years old today. :o

I'm busy getting a house built in Phuket. One thing I want to do is to install a BIG satellite TV antenna, for reception of alternative channels over the usual UBC offerings.

I'm a techie so happy with the installation and what I might be able to view. But are there any rules in Thailand which restrict the antenna size that you can use?

In the UK its one small dish and then you need planning permission for a second dish or a larger dish.

The size of antenna that I'm looking to install could be up to 6-8 metres diametre if they let me :o

Simon

WOW..I'd love a 20 foot dish ! Where do I buy this in Thailand ? I've fifteen dishes on my roof in Bkk but no monster. Up to very recently the largest dish any dealer had in stock was 1.8 m solid and 10 ft mesh. Last year I spoke to one well known dealer to suggest they stock larger ones and hey presto they now have a 2.4m solid at around Bt 15000. Indo seems the place for large dishes. In Jakarta 6 m dishes are common...and cheap. I think they use these to pick up the Middle East channels.

Simon

In Bangkok I have 15 dishes all sizes up to 12 foot without a complaint. In London Westminster they STILL have a full time planning dept sat officer going round to check for dishes and any dish over a meter has to be taken down immediately.

Isn't Thailand GREAT